Worth upgrading my computer?

Vuvuzela

Hey all,

So near the end of the summer my brother gave me his computer, which was a good upgrade from my computer.

This is the computer I was given: http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T5224

My question is, would it be worth it to upgrade this computer? And what are some suggestions to upgrading it?

The most I would want to do with it would be able to play Runescape on max HD settings.

Something.png

dont see why not, stick a reasonable graphics card in it and maybe buy a 2gb ram kit and ull have a pretty decent system

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yeah, get rid of the 2x512mb and replace with 2x1gb (seems like that 2gb is the max it will recognise.. not sure if it would support 2x2gb/2x4gb)

Perhaps an ati 4550/equivilant.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

This computer seems very old. It might be less expensive to get a new one depending on the upgrade you want to make.

Cpu launched six years ago, when the actual computer was launched... Dunno.

---

A quick search shows that it should have pci-e... Easiest is obviously just to open and make sure.

A new graphics card to run RSHD smoother would only use like 40w, but please list the psu anyways thanks. I'd probably get two new 1gb memory sticks as well. Those two things would cost, i don't know... 70-100$? Something like that.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

If you just want to play Runescape, you should be fine in just putting in a graphics card (most now are PCI-E, which is listed as available on your motherboard). I only know general products for ATI, so I can't help you choose specifics so well.

Also, buy 2gb of ram. Maybe $50?

This computer seems very old. It might be less expensive to get a new one depending on the upgrade you want to make.

Cpu launched six years ago, when the actual computer was launched... Dunno.

---

A quick search shows that it should have pci-e... Easiest is obviously just to open and make sure.

A new graphics card to run RSHD smoother would only use like 40w, but please list the psu anyways thanks. I'd probably get two new 1gb memory sticks as well. Those two things would cost, i don't know... 70-100$? Something like that.

Can't find the specific model of the psu, but from what i've read, it's only 300w.

Something.png

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144157

Will work on your computer, DDR2 dual channel, 533MHz (PC4200)

Get rid of vista and upgrade to win 7 (hell even downgrade to xp).

Vista post SP1 is very stable. Hell, my Vista SP2 computer is more stable than both my Windows 7 computer. Windows 7 SP1 seems even more stable though.

I'm tired of people like you saying Vista is bad.

If he's looking to upgrade that computer, I doubt he can just drop $100 for Win7 like it's nothing. There is NOTHING wrong with windows vista. Sure it's not the greatest OS to ever grace the earth, but there's no need to make it sound like it's a virus, like half of the internet does. Google windows java, it was an experiment where people who had heard about vista but not used it were split into two groups. One was given a copy of vista to test and rate, and the other was given a copy of windows java, which was just vista with a name change. The focus groups gave vista a score of 6.something, and the other group gave java a 8.something.

Also, I'd get memory timed at 800mhz, there's no cost difference and it'll be faster.

Depends on what the motherboard can handle.

Also, thanks, didn't know 5450 only used like 20w (didn't bother to check), so there's no reason to worry about psu.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Depends on what the motherboard can handle.

Also, thanks, didn't know 5450 only used like 20w (didn't bother to check), so there's no reason to worry about psu.

Should mention that it's the fanless model, I assume one with a fan would use a bit more.

Vista post SP1 is very stable. Hell, my Vista SP2 computer is more stable than both my Windows 7 computer. Windows 7 SP1 seems even more stable though.

Yeah... an upgrade to windows 7 is definitely not going to happen. I haven't encountered any problems with Vista so far and am perfectly content with it.

As for the video card, would I be fine getting the 5450 without the fan, or would it be of better interest to get the fan and upgrade my psu depending on how much power it uses?

Something.png

Google windows java, it was an experiment where people who had heard about vista but not used it were split into two groups. One was given a copy of vista to test and rate, and the other was given a copy of windows java, which was just vista with a name change. The focus groups gave vista a score of 6.something, and the other group gave java a 8.something.

Sounds like their "Mojave Experiment."

B

Both interesting studies and show:

The ridiculously over-hyped problems with Vista gave people who knew nothing about computing a bad perception of it.

As in both cases removing "vista" from the product made it better to them.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Google windows java, it was an experiment where people who had heard about vista but not used it were split into two groups. One was given a copy of vista to test and rate, and the other was given a copy of windows java, which was just vista with a name change. The focus groups gave vista a score of 6.something, and the other group gave java a 8.something.

Sounds like their "Mojave Experiment."

Yeah, that's the one. I was going off memory.

I have used and repaired many pcs and laptops with all kinds of operating systems, and to be quite honest vista is one of the least user friendly and resource hogging. Im far from a win7 fanboy, just putting in my 2 cents and hoping people don't take my opinion personally.

randomkcopyq.png

I have used and repaired many pcs and laptops with all kinds of operating systems, and to be quite honest vista is one of the least user friendly and resource hogging. Im far from a win7 fanboy, just putting in my 2 cents and hoping people don't take my opinion personally.

While Vista was a hog, Windows 7 has even higher required specs when it comes to RAM. Difference is, People actually have good computers now, not the minimum required for XP. Vista was much more user friendly than XP ever was as it is more logic as the places where the menus/other stuff is located in windows. Of course there are still better OSes than Windows, but that's personal preference.