Holidays

ghjkl

How do you come to the conclusion that it's a waste?

Because it's a temporary update that adds nothing to the game while taking development time away from permanent projects. I feel like I'm repeating myself. Please keep up.

It's meant for newer players. I had fun at the first holiday event I went to, which was a zombie head iirc. Missed the chicken and yo-yo. These types of events are obviously targeted at the newbies who want to have something as a souvenir of sorts for when they started.

It's not meant for you or me, because frankly I agree, they are repetitive and don't offer much meaningful rewards. BUT that doesn't mean it's a waste, as I bet there are plenty -90s who enjoy having a holiday item like the carrot/ brooch, etc.

That's how I feel anyways.

And sorry I'm slow.

Staurolite.png

Gah. You guys know what's bloody faulty reasoning? This damned argument. Holiday events have advantages and disadvantages. Major plus for F2P, that's the only update they see. They aren't as important as members, but I'd be willing to bet that 90% of long-term F2P players would be annoyed by seeing no holiday update. Keeping your memberbase happy, even if that memberbase is F2P, can only be a good thing imo. To some, it adds extra flavour and a nice bit of change to the game, and to those some they would be annoyed by a lack of it.

However, it is a fact that they offer very little long-term benifit. As mildly amusing as the rewards might be (I find the rubber chicken and snowball fun, and I'd love to have a scythe to look like the grim reaper) how often do I use the rubber chicken or snowballs, or see them? Not often. They offer nothing tangible to the game in the long run.

One off content like this, if done well, can be very appealing to certain players, even without a lack of tangible reward.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I can name four very important ways they negatively affect the game: They require RESOURCES, MONEY, DEVELOPERS, and TIME that should be spent on permanent updates.

Really though, isn't it ultimately up to Jagex to decide what they spend their resources, money, development and time on?

There will always be at least one person who finds an update to be pointless, but in the same regard, there will always be at least one person who finds that update (whether it be new content, or a re-vamp of old content) to be a worthwhile update.

I've been playing RuneScape since 2001, and I have found every single holiday update to be enjoyable. I'm glad that Jagex sets aside a week of content in order to work on them. It is unrealistic to expect a new quest, a new skill, new new new every single week... I think it's perfectly acceptable to step back and dedicate a week to a holiday event. It might not be as exciting a week as the release of X-Quest might be, but it provides a lot of players with enjoyment, which justifies the time and resources needed to create them.

(And really, who can argue against giant turkeys that you get to pwn...?)

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Also, for free players they are the source of some of the only cosmetic costume pieces they can actually obtain.

Provided you don't have a full set of random event clothing like me, which is a super pain in the ass to obtain anyway.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I enjoy most holiday events. I just wish they would make the typical holiday events like halloween, christmas and easter even if it just seems repetitive. That way they're only "wasting" time on 3 holiday events. This whole holiday for two people getting married is kind of stupid. Sorry if I offended anyone.

but seriously, I don't care about two people getting married

And I agree with the poster above me. It's something to add to free players. There isn't much variety in things to wear in f2p.

• 2 months later...

I like the holiday events, they give a nice break from the normal skilling and monster killing. It's also cool to get a new item for looks and to be able to change up your look for a little bit. Also from someone who knows a fair bit about graphics, the design of these areas is amazing, great particle effects and it gives them a time to test new ideas with the holiday items and effects. Normally I like seeing what new ideas are used for the holiday event and seeing how they might be implemented into the real game.

Isaact20.png

Isaact20.png