Holidays

ghjkl

Every December, April, and October, Jagex wastes a week for potential updates by making these so called "holiday" events.

This year, we have to wait until April 4th to actually find out the BTS for this month thanks to the stupidity of "April Fools Day."

Discuss/flame

I hate holiday events. I really, really hate them. Total waste of time for the dev team, and they're literally never interesting or fun. And I agree that postponing the BTS is very annoying.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I was under the impression that holiday events are programmed by the newbies at Jagex, giving them practice so they don't risk screwing up bigger and more important projects.

I mean...not that it seems to help or anything, but I guess it would be better than dumping them straight onto an actual quest.

But I think they should really just give us the BTS on the 2nd like they usually do >.>

I don't exactly hate holiday events that much. I find it to be a nice distraction from the monotony of grinding.

But they need to stop making holiday events last so long. Now they're starting to become chores rather than fun distractions.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

This year, we have to wait until April 4th to actually find out the BTS for this month thanks to the stupidity of "April Fools Day."

Discuss/flame

**(We wish you the very best this April Fools, and you can expect the real Behind the Scenes later on today! Promise!)**

?

I'm not sure if this thread was intended as a joke, trolling or a showcasing of stupidity. I can only hope it's the first one.

I don't see how or why it could be any of the three options listed. Care to elaborate on how one-off, resource-hogging updates are good for the game?

dgs5.jpg

If they suck as much as you say, then they couldn't have taken all that much effort to make.

Bionic_Yoshi.png

TT rewards: 2 ranger boots, Zamorak page 1 (2x), Guthix page 1, Ancient page 2

You must construct additional oak larders doors... I mean pylons

Barrows: 10. Total value~22.3 mil. Ahrim Robeskirt is currently the item I have received the most.

If they suck as much as you say, then they couldn't have taken all that much effort to make.

Very faulty reasoning. Very, very faulty. MA was delayed nearly a year and god knows how long it was in production before that. Guess what? MA is one of the worst updates of all time. Development time has no correlation to how good an update is. Furthermore, anyone who knows anything about Jagex project development (which everyone should if they read Q&A's and Dev Blogs) knows that they spend months on every holiday update, minimum.

dgs5.jpg

I'm not sure if this thread was intended as a joke, trolling or a showcasing of stupidity. I can only hope it's the first one.

I don't see how or why it could be any of the three options listed. Care to elaborate on how one-off, resource-hogging updates are good for the game?

They are not bad for the game in any way (name one holiday event that ended up having a bad effect on the game and didn't introduce a tradeable holiday item). In addition, most tend to be pretty fun. They are a nice change from endless grinding and if you don't like them, you can go back to taking the soul out of Dungeoneering or something.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

They are not bad for the game in any way (name one holiday event that ended up having a bad effect on the game and didn't introduce a tradeable holiday item). In addition, most tend to be pretty fun. They are a nice change from endless grinding and if you don't like them, you can go back to taking the soul out of Dungeoneering or something.

I can name four very important ways they negatively affect the game: They require RESOURCES, MONEY, DEVELOPERS, and TIME that should be spent on permanent updates.

According to the new trolling rules, your last comment was unnecessary and reportable. Please watch how you post in the future. Thanks. :)

dgs5.jpg

Very faulty reasoning. Very, very faulty. MA was delayed nearly a year and god knows how long it was in production before that. Guess what? MA is one of the worst updates of all time. Development time has no correlation to how good an update is. Furthermore, anyone who knows anything about Jagex project development (which everyone should if they read Q&A's and Dev Blogs) knows that they spend months on every holiday update, minimum.

You know what else is faulty reasoning?

"I don't like these updates so it's a waste of resources and money".

Staurolite.png

Thinking that temporary content that will never add anything to the game is better than real content that may or may not be useful.

I don't think that the issue is purely that the content is temporary or that somebody doesn't like it, but a combination of both. And the fact that it is consistent year to year, the holiday events never seem to get better and I don't think I've done one for around 3 years now.

If Hati came back for Christmas this year, it'd be the best holiday event thus far. There's nothing inherently wrong with temporary content, but most of the temporary content we get is holiday events and it just gets old. Give us something akin to the Hati Wolf update earlier this year for a holiday event. A short quest or series of puzzles leading up to a decent xp reward would be great.

Etecoon.png

"I don't like these updates so it's a waste of resources and money".

False causation. I dislike these updates BECAUSE they are a waste of resources and money, not the other way around.

dgs5.jpg

How do you come to the conclusion that it's a waste?

Because it's a temporary update that adds nothing to the game while taking development time away from permanent projects. I feel like I'm repeating myself. Please keep up.

dgs5.jpg