Tip.It Times - 24th April 2011

tripsis

No, high level gear in general does guard against inflation. Specific high level gear may drop in price because of other reasons not related inflation and deflation. Just as an example, third age mage amulet has been killed since arcanes were introduced.

With regards to not being able to afford a rare: If you don't have the 80 odd million for a mask, you probably aren't worried about inflation or deflation anyway.

I think you are overestimating the amount of bots whose purpose is to RWT. A great deal of bots are used for personal gain. These botters then use their gold in order to buy up rares or high level gear, further increasing the demand for such items. Botting causes inflation, not deflation.

No, high level gear in general does guard against inflation. Specific high level gear may drop in price because of other reasons not related inflation and deflation. Just as an example, third age mage amulet has been killed since arcanes were introduced.

I wasn't aware of new ways to obtain godswords and spirit shields.

You can spot similar downward trends in dragonfire shields, staff of light, dragon claws, and pretty much all barrow's sets. This isn't from a singular event replacing a niche weapon or armour, everything is dropping in price.

With regards to not being able to afford a rare: If you don't have the 80 odd million for a mask, you probably aren't worried about inflation or deflation anyway.

If your entire bank is worth 50m, you shouldn't be worried about deflation? Selling everything for GP is easier than obtaining a rare.

I think you are overestimating the amount of bots whose purpose is to RWT. A great deal of bots are used for personal gain. These botters then use their gold in order to buy up rares or high level gear, further increasing the demand for such items. Botting causes inflation, not deflation.

Except I can give you hundreds of examples of items that have dropped in price. If botting caused inflation, this would not be the case.

The point is that RWTers have bled GP from RuneScape, and as GP leaves the game it becomes worth relatively more.

Even if all the GP that RWTers obtained was sold, and put back into the economy, the velocity of money decreases. When a RWTer obtains GP, they sit on it until they can sell it. They don't use it to interact with the game anymore. An example of the velocity of money increasing are the few weeks leading up to a bonus xp weekend. GP doesn't magically enter the economy, but the price of pretty much everything skyrockets.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Okay, I've reread your article and reread our last few posts and I think I've discovered the source of our disagreement. You think botting causes deflation and I think botting causes inflation.

Yes, you are correct in that if deflation occurs, having lots of GP is best. In this scenario, gear and rares will dip.

However, I do not think your assertion is correct.

Bots do cause inflation. In a normal economy, inflation happens naturally. There will always be more gold entering the game then leaving it. What do bots do? They accelerate the economy by introducing more logs, which are then fletched, which are then alched. Yes, RWT companies may hoard gold, slowing the rate of inflation but this will not stop it. It will come into the economy eventually.

edit: As for your comments about new ways to get godswords; I think it has more to do with chaotics reducing the demand for them.

To be honest, I'm a little bewildered that you think there's deflation in this game. Do you not remember when shelling out 1 million hurt? Players can make millions of coins an hour at the moment. I'm not one to watch Youtube videos but there are some from a few years ago proudly crowing about 600 million banks.

Okay, I've reread your article and reread our last few posts and I think I've discovered the source of our disagreement. You think botting causes deflation and I think botting causes inflation.

Yes, you are correct in that if deflation occurs, having lots of GP is best. In this scenario, gear and rares will dip.

However, I do not think your assertion is correct.

Bots do cause inflation. In a normal economy, inflation happens naturally. There will always be more gold entering the game then leaving it. What do bots do? They accelerate the economy by introducing more logs, which are then fletched, which are then alched. Yes, RWT companies may hoard gold, slowing the rate of inflation but this will not stop it. It will come into the economy eventually.

edit: As for your comments about new ways to get godswords; I think it has more to do with chaotics reducing the demand for them.

To be honest, I'm a little bewildered that you think there's deflation in this game. Do you not remember when shelling out 1 million hurt? Players can make millions of coins an hour at the moment. I'm not one to watch Youtube videos but there are some from a few years ago proudly crowing about 600 million banks.

You are, however, under the assumption that products produced by bots get alched in the end. That is definitely not always the case. Also, of course the RWT money will come into the economy eventually, but until then it is stored away, which slows the rate of inflation, or increases the rate of deflation, depending on where you start.

As for your last comment, that's kind of a no-brainer. Currently most item prices are decreasing, at least on average. Therefore there is deflation in this game. Only because there was a huge inflation before that doesn't mean that deflation doesn't happen.

So the yew logs eventually turn into GP.

Lobsters, Swordfish, Sharks are not alched. Neither are essence, herbs, nor bones.

If you happen to visit some of the RWTers websites, you'll see that they'll sell you in excess of 1b coins. That's 1b coins that are not traded right now, that are frozen in their accounts. Its also conceivable that Jagex will ban some of their accounts that store GP, which is pure GP leaving the game, never to come back again.

Regardless of the flow of GP from RWTers or the velocity of money, the easiest measurement of inflation/deflation are price levels. The price of pretty much everything has dropped since free trade was reintroduced, which is analogous to saying that deflation has occurred.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

About the second article by Crocefisso, "something quintessential to the patchwork of the game" is slightly wrong grammatically speaking. Try "the quintessential newbie experience" or something.

I've not tried the Gnomecopter Tours it sounds interesting from what I read on your article so good job there. :)

About the second article by Crocefisso, "something quintessential to the patchwork of the game" is slightly wrong grammatically speaking. Try "the quintessential newbie experience" or something.

I've not tried the Gnomecopter Tours it sounds interesting from what I read on your article so good job there. :)

Thanks for the comments, meili. Much appreciated as always. ;)

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

This article is very articulate in describing the issues related with the economic problems of RS. It goes into nice detail and explanation of many reasons for the unbalanced economy. However, there is only one flaw in this article-it does not propose a clear solution other than "just waiting until each raw material reaches its low alchemy price". There must be something players can act upon in order to prevent further declination of the economy. To whoever can think of a solution, please do post it.

• 4 weeks later...

If bots and RWTers are causing deflation, how do you explain the fact that deflation started in roughly March of 2010, nearly a year before free trade was reintroduced, and has been steady for the last 14 months?

see http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Common_Trade_Index

Everyone blames the decline of the price in ranarrs on bots, but it has been steadily declining (besides obvious bumps for bonus xp weekends) since march 2010.

GEMH_Grimy_ranarr.png

I think a better explanation for deflation is the decline of high alch as a useful spell, and the general decline in popularity of runescape itself.

satan_panda.png