~Cowboy14's Pixel Art Tutorial~

Nash

lol? why minecraft? But thanks and i look forward to seeing your progress :)

Just the close-ups are all pixelated (adurh pixel-art) and it makes me think of Minecraft. Hahaha. I'll probably try making one once my school ends in a couple weeks. :)

WqvZe.png

92 Fishing | 92 Firemaking | 92 Dungeoneering | 99 Cooking

100% FTP | 800+ Total | 19 Combat

Optima dies.. prima fugit. .::. Forever a Harpy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My0m1.png

That's my WIP using your tutorial. Thanks!

I must admit though, I used your stump and tree on the left hand side, as all my attempts looked like they were drawn by a four year old.

Any tips?

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Lol I wasn't planning on this being a road... thinking more of a river lol but yeah I will fix that

I Support TET!| If you want bunny PM Me.|Click For My DevArt

musics.png

^ Cowboy is the Best ^

IT'S A TRAP SHINY JUST WANTS TO STALK YOU.

Hell yeah I do. Whats your msn?

That's how it all starts.

Next he's going to ask you what flavor of candy you enjoy and whats your favorite color van.

You should give it a shot ALG ill always be here to help you ;)

Aeon the first thing I see is that your mountains, river and tree on the right have too busy of edges. Try making them all more wavy and less abrupt zig-zagy (terrible vocab but hopefully that explains it)

Otherwise nice work :thumbsup:

nashv.png

Pixel Signature Made By Me.

How would I go about doing that? Everything I do looks blocky, even on 1 pixel brush. :|

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Great guide, cowboy. Can't wait to give it a try.

When will you be adding parts II and III?

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

@Aeon try loosening up when you draw line work. I like to start with the lightest grey in the pallete, do a quick scribble, then go darker and make more refined scribbles, then darker and then the black lining. That way you slowly work your way to the final linework and it helps keep it from looking box shaped.

Post whatever you come up with and ill help :thumbup:

nashv.png

mountaino.png

That's what I have on my side project in math class this week XD

I Support TET!| If you want bunny PM Me.|Click For My DevArt

musics.png

^ Cowboy is the Best ^

IT'S A TRAP SHINY JUST WANTS TO STALK YOU.

Hell yeah I do. Whats your msn?

That's how it all starts.

Next he's going to ask you what flavor of candy you enjoy and whats your favorite color van.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

9Z3a5.png

Any better?

-Random Youtuber

Your line art is all over the place. It's really scraggly and volatile, you still need to loosen it up haha.

I tried doing a little example so you know how smooth your lineart should be.

unledkbvx.png

Ignore "my" river

Think about perspective, notice how in cowboys tutorial the river is almost straight? That's cause of the angle so your river should be straightish too.

For the black lines you want to do this:

cleanup.gif

anyway Cowboy would probably explain this better hehe but kinda wanted to help

EDIT: oh yeah, I also found that using the line tool in paint helped when I didn't want to do it pixel by pixel. If I used the pencil tool then it would take forever to clean up

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

I originally did it without doing the corners, then suddenly decided to do it with corners. >_<

-Random Youtuber

Im going to give you a tip that helped me a ton starting out.

Secret method (kind of cheating but nobody will get mad at you for this method);

-Find a simple-ish landscape picture

-Save it and open it in paint

-Color over it with the paintbrush until its all covered and theres no remains of the original picture and its all broken down into solid colors you painted

That will help you get realistic landscapes down :) I did that for a while.

mountain-summits.jpg

mountainsummits.png

I did this really quick to show you what I meant. I took the image, shrunk it down (too much but you get the idea) and then filled it in with solid colors. Now all I have to do is shade it.

nashv.png

I'm not that good at shading to be honest. :|

-Random Youtuber

Gah, did the filling in using the method you showed me, and my cat turned my computer off. >_<

Current signature:

nf6rm.png

-Random Youtuber

I have an idea, start a new one.

Every time you finish a step post the new progress in your comment (keeping editing the comment every time you improve)

Every time you finished a step from the guide ill tell you if it looks good, what needs improvement and then you can move onto the next step :)

Good plan?

nashv.png

Ok, sounds good.

Step 4.

nJRob.png

-Random Youtuber

Updated.

hCpC6.png

-Random Youtuber

Ok with your mountains I want the lightest to be in the back and the darkest to be in the front. My coloring method isnt really meant for brown mountains its for when you have color mountains (green, blue, etc).

Edit your comment with the updated version of the mountains and we'll go from there :)

EDIT:

hcpc6.png

I shaped the mountains a bit and did the colors for you if you want to use this and work off it instead your free to do so :)

nashv.png

Ok.....trying to use a certain shade of blue and it's coming up as brown. >_<

-Random Youtuber