Phat prices

mario_sunny

Ok... I know this is another "phat price" topic, but I've got a graph now. Do not call me a poor noob(I AM NOT!!!), I am simply a curious runescape player, so shut up with the noob spamming. And if you do post about me being a poor noob, you'll look like an idiot in front of everyone because you didn't read this! Graph is below :wink:

jt2plk.jpg

As you can see, phat prices(of course) will keep on rising at a horribly increasing rate. I made this graph from scrach and carefully recorded phat prices for two years, predicting the increase starting from January 2006. So far I have not seen any good solutions to stop these prices.

Bad suggestions I've seen:

-get rid of all rares

-temporarly get rid of all rares

-make all rares untradable

Sadly, I don't have a solution of my own, but I am working on it. Post any comments or solution to this problem here(and yes, I know this has been posted before).

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

the solution is very hard, the only thing that could work would be of jagex to buy all phats, this would bring lots of money into the economy but we would get rid of those who sell them and not keeping them for fun :)

ashmsig1uq.png

overseerlp5.png

R.I.P. Shiva and Steve

ur just jealous cuz u dont have one. now if u had a phat u wouldnt be saying that so stop being selfish and think about every1else ur own fault u dont have one so tough luck.

Please don't go there :) Maybe he himself is jealous, but a lot of people really just don't care about them. Not that I think they should be discarded/made untradeable-There simply isn't a good solution at the moment. Ignorance is bliss.

I told myself I wasn't gonna look at this topic, but I did anyways :)

Lpinkus

It is like antiques: they don't have any use, but the fact they aren't manufactured anymore and their age causes their value to increase exponentially. I personally think Party Hats make the Runescape Economy more life-like, so I like the twist it brings to the game.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

im sorry if i sound rude because of this but, WHO CARES? if all the merchants with over 100M in cash spend all there money on phats, that means they wont spend it on things having in-game uses, imagine what would happen if people with a HUGE load of money in there bank would buy up all the coal instead of the Phats, and then sell it for huge prices? that would seriously hurt the economy. now there all spending it on useless paper hats, that have no ingame use. let them do that, and just continue playing. you really dont need a phat in runescape, even if i had the money i wouldnt buy one, the thing is completely useless.

Hmm, interesting observation... you can see that Jagex has created a vicous circle with Party Hats. The only solution to Phats is to let them get rid of themselves... simple really. Everytime a Phat is Alched, Dropped and not picked up or lost the price goes up. When all of them are gone, we don't have the price problem any more then Jagex can find a way to fix the economy... maybe. Never mind.

Hmm, interesting observation... you can see that Jagex has created a vicous circle with Party Hats. The only solution to Phats is to let them get rid of themselves... simple really. Everytime a Phat is Alched, Dropped and not picked up or lost the price goes up. When all of them are gone, we don't have the price problem any more then Jagex can find a way to fix the economy... maybe. Never mind.

Exactly :)

I could see if they were sombreros, but paper hats? We all know you can make a paper hat pretty easy. A little paper, tape, a pair of scissors...voila.

OK, that was facecious. But please, let the rare thing go. If you don't want to buy one or sell one, FORGET ABOUT THEM. Sorry to give a personal testament, but...

I am by no means a rich player, but I did finally amass 5.5 mil a day ago. So, I said my last goodbyes to more than half my gp and bought a whip. It's really fun, by the way, surely worth it. Really, what good was that gp doing sitting in my bank unless I had tried to merchant with it?

Anyway, back to the point. I saved that money by selling drops, alching, and thieving. That's it. It took me several years. I don't know if "proud" is the right word, so lets say I'm delighted that I earned it all myself without using the rare market. I have no problem with said market, but I also didn't want to participate in it.

So, despite what you think, you can live without rares. Yes, they affect the overall market, but it's really not a problem right now. If it ever was, JAGeX would so something about it.

Lpinkus

yea i was planning to mine a whole lot of silver (i can make a mil per week this way with my plan) for a purple phat, and then i was like, "What am I doing? this is supposed to be FUN...and yet its a chore to get it?". So i've given up on phats. I'll spend all my money on runes and stuff for fun (and a green mask simply cus it looks awesome).

Dont flame me because i dont have a Phat but...

Wouldnt it be fun if Jagex said for example WARNING we will be allowing the creation of Party Hats, you have the chance to sell them to any of the Jagex Mods for X gp

i know this definately wont happen but it would be pretty funny to see all the merchants, stakers, pkers deciding to keep their phats and then they become pointless

I don't understand that as soon as someone posts anything about Party Hats there's always someone there to say that the poster is poor noob who can't afford a hat and hates Party Hats... Party Hats are a problem whether you can understand that or not. It has nothing to do with "being jealous", it has to do with the need to fix this problem.

I don't really accept the argument that merchants won't have anything to do and that it won't be fair blah blah blah. Merchants have so much money that if they lost their precious Party Hats they'd be out 100M at the most. But to them that's chump change.

I agree with the poster. Party Hats are a problem and the only solutions that people can come up with aren't good ones. Now I dislike Jagex just as much as the next person, but you have to give them some credit. If there was a fairly simple solution to this problem, don't you think they would've done something about it?

Some replies:

ur just jealous cuz u dont have one. now if u had a phat u wouldnt be saying that so stop being selfish and think about every1else ur own fault u dont have one so tough luck.

lol your just jelous that I made this graph ;)

im sorry if i sound rude because of this but, WHO CARES? if all the merchants with over 100M in cash spend all there money on phats, that means they wont spend it on things having in-game uses, imagine what would happen if people with a HUGE load of money in there bank would buy up all the coal instead of the Phats, and then sell it for huge prices? that would seriously hurt the economy. now there all spending it on useless paper hats, that have no ingame use. let them do that, and just continue playing. you really dont need a phat in runescape, even if i had the money i wouldnt buy one, the thing is completely useless.

Actually, A LOT of people care :D

I don't understand that as soon as someone posts anything about Party Hats there's always someone there to say that the poster is poor noob who can't afford a hat and hates Party Hats... Party Hats are a problem whether you can understand that or not. It has nothing to do with "being jealous", it has to do with the need to fix this problem.

Omg!!! You are so rightÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ the minute I started this I get spammed by these stupid noobs who think IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m some lvl 3 with 25gp(like Kjam3 here).

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Well, since I became a member of Tip.it I've seen a lot of posts like this one. Some where childishly made, and some actually had mature solutions to the problem. But now I have a question:

How do rares actually affect the economy?

This signature is intentionally left blank.

Well, since I became a member of Tip.it I've seen a lot of posts like this one. Some where childishly made, and some actually had mature solutions to the problem. But now I have a question:

Well, from what i gather (and observed in my 1 year of play), more money keeps coming into the market than going out. People keep finding ways to make money, but very little is taken out of the economy. This, i gathers, is mostly from high alching, especially of magic longbows. What rares do is provide a sort of sink for that money. People invest their insane amounts in a discontinued item. It aslo supposedly stops merchants from hoarding up other items like ores and runes and charging higher prices for those.

a solution is if they make it where general stores sell them for like 1gp or make it to were you can make them yourself

Might be on to something...

I suppose if it became a sort of skill, the prices would drop but not be totally extinguished and yet still tradeable etc.

Well, from what i gather (and observed in my 1 year of play), more money keeps coming into the market than going out. People keep finding ways to make money, but very little is taken out of the economy. This, i gathers, is mostly from high alching, especially of magic longbows. What rares do is provide a sort of sink for that money. People invest their insane amounts in a discontinued item. It aslo supposedly stops merchants from hoarding up other items like ores and runes and charging higher prices for those.

So aren't they and their high actually good to the economy by stopping inflation?

This signature is intentionally left blank.

like they said they wont keep rising like this

i m following al the rares prices day by day now since december 15 cause i saw they were dropping... (lower rares)

normaly a price stabalize if its on there lowest (remember santas 1.6 for 2 months!!) nowthey droped to 3.8, stayed there for 4 days and went to 5mill= in 2 days

WHY?.???, al merchants knew that the prices where this low so they bought masses santas, so now they wil rise again till al rich merchants decide to sell em all for a high price, after every1 has a santa then they w ill start dropping again...

for the phats its kinda the same only the changes are way bigger. they are going up al the time but wil stabilize once.. i hope soon cause at this rate blue phat will be 200 mill soon, wich is crazy for a small hat

rsname: lord rex.
december 2011: ranked 107th best f2p player
march 2012 became member.

Lord_Rex.png

I don't really accept the argument that merchants won't have anything to do and that it won't be fair blah blah blah. Merchants have so much money that if they lost their precious Party Hats they'd be out 100M at the most. But to them that's chump change.

I agree with the poster. Party Hats are a problem and the only solutions that people can come up with aren't good ones. Now I dislike Jagex just as much as the next person, but you have to give them some credit. If there was a fairly simple solution to this problem, don't you think they would've done something about it?

I agree; because people want them and more and more money is made and traded for them, the gp currency is the victim of inflation; the faster prices rise for these items, the worse the inflation will get.

I remember Germany after WWI, there was a moment where people were being payed twice a day, because money devaluated so quickly that the morning's pay was only worth half by the evening. Imagine paying millions and millions for bread, and billions the next day.

Runaway inflation is not a good thing; there must be checks and balances on the amount of money in the RS economy at any one time.

Since there are more and more players making money, and especially with these rares costing more and more, there has to be a means to drain the excess gp out of the economy.

Personally, I was thinking along the lines of a shop where phats and other rares can be bought, but at their high prices of millions of gp. That would be a good moneydrain to keep the amount of gp in the community stable and to allow phats to maintain their status as statussymbol.