Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DirectX Issues

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Karvinen
[ Display Name History ]

Karvinen

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
The drivers aren't the latest. You have the version 266.10. The latest version on NVIDIA's site is 275.33.

Logdotzip
[ Display Name History ]

Logdotzip

THAT ONE CLIMBING BOOTS GUY

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Logdotzip
Unfortunately even updating the driver did nothing for me

Logdotzip
[ Display Name History ]

Logdotzip

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
Anyone else have any clue, or a place I could ask instead?

D. V. Devnull
[ Display Name History ]

D. V. Devnull

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,162 posts
  • Location:Slinking in shadow, finding site/forum bugs to kill...
  • RuneScape Status:None

Anyone else have any clue, or a place I could ask instead?

Have you sent in a Bug Report to Jagex at the RuneScape website? It is looking more and more like the problem is theirs. :huh:

~D. V. "This might not be your fault..." Devnull
Posted Image and normally with a cool mind.
(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed
I'm wondering if you did actually clear the rs cache folder in case of corruption?

After all I did advise that plus updating direct x and graphics drivers and you said you tried it all yet a few posts later you posted info that clearly showed you're graphics drivers were out of date and thus you hadn't actually tried the advice.
Also it's not gonna be a problem jagex's end; it's too obscure. Worst case it's gonna be your system having minor incompatibles and thus unable to run that graphics mode correctly.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Logdotzip
[ Display Name History ]

Logdotzip

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
well I had gone through windows built in driver udpater, which ma have been the problem. But theyre up to date now. deleting the cache did nothing for me.

it is a fairly new graphics card, they may not have tested rs on it yet.

but as of now the problem is still unresolved

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

well I had gone through windows built in driver udpater, which ma have been the problem. But theyre up to date now. deleting the cache did nothing for me.

it is a fairly new graphics card, they may not have tested rs on it yet.

but as of now the problem is still unresolved

What card is it? Afaik all the 6xxx and 5xx cards play RS just fine.

Logdotzip
[ Display Name History ]

Logdotzip

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
Posted ImagePosted Image

Askthedude
[ Display Name History ]

Askthedude

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 857 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Ask The Dude
I'd assume you're running nvidia optimus by default? Which graphics card drivers did you update? Try updating the other one because it may be that optimus isn't detecting RS as a resource hog and is using the intel graphics card instead.
Posted Image

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Logdotzip
[ Display Name History ]

Logdotzip

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
Honestly haven't a clue when it comes to stuff like this, but maybe this will be of some service, as I don't see any way to turn off Optimus

Posted ImagePosted Image

Logdotzip
[ Display Name History ]

Logdotzip

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
Nevermind, I returned the laptop... Getting this now

http://www.bestbuy.c...9&skuId=2634096

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Qu├ębec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RSN:Sbr

You'll save a lot by getting that same desktop on Newegg if it is listed on Newegg or other websites that sell computers. Best Buy is generally overpriced.

D. V. Devnull
[ Display Name History ]

D. V. Devnull

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,162 posts
  • Location:Slinking in shadow, finding site/forum bugs to kill...
  • RuneScape Status:None

You'll save a lot by getting that same desktop on Newegg if it is listed on Newegg or other websites that sell computers. Best Buy is generally overpriced.

I personally second this. No need to get gouged! :?

~D. V. "Dodge the overpay!" Devnull
Posted Image and normally with a cool mind.
(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Logdotzip
[ Display Name History ]

Logdotzip

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
Did the checks myself, I save about $20, but I have to wait for shipping. I'll pay the twenty because a BB is 15min from me. Ordering my Monitor and webcam off Newegg, using an old monitor until then. Anyways, thanks for the help everyone, kind of glad I didn't find a fix, that $1235 laptop was not worth it.

Den
[ Display Name History ]

Den

Movie Director

• Members
  • 8,257 posts
  • RSN:Rainy
Shame this was never solved. I have the exact same problem with my brand new laptop. :S

It has an effect on me recording gameplay though.
Software Mode isn't detected by fraps, so it doesn't focus itself on Runescape.
OpenGL works fine, but when I try to record Runescape, it drops to a stable 5 FPS as long as it is recording. 30 FPS when not recording. OpenGL also crashes after I go through a few "Loading - Please Wait"s.
DirectX works perfect, smooth 30 FPS both when Recording and when not recording. However the issue you were experiencing happens when I turn on any for for AA on RS.

The_Fray
[ Display Name History ]

The_Fray

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Rook

Shame this was never solved. I have the exact same problem with my brand new laptop. :S

It has an effect on me recording gameplay though.
Software Mode isn't detected by fraps, so it doesn't focus itself on Runescape.
OpenGL works fine, but when I try to record Runescape, it drops to a stable 5 FPS as long as it is recording. 30 FPS when not recording. OpenGL also crashes after I go through a few "Loading - Please Wait"s.
DirectX works perfect, smooth 30 FPS both when Recording and when not recording. However the issue you were experiencing happens when I turn on any for for AA on RS.

I am having the same trouble as you, just made a thread about it. I think it has to do with NVIDIA Optimus as another poster suggested. So the question is how to fix it and make the NVIDIA graphic card run instead of the intel one for runescape.

EDIT: Managed to fix it by using NVIDIA control panel.

Askthedude
[ Display Name History ]

Askthedude

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 857 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Ask The Dude

I am having the same trouble as you, just made a thread about it. I think it has to do with NVIDIA Optimus as another poster suggested. So the question is how to fix it and make the NVIDIA graphic card run instead of the intel one for runescape.

EDIT: Managed to fix it by using NVIDIA control panel.

I fixed it for myself putting a shortcut to Firefox on the desktop and when I want to run RS I right click and select "run with Nvidia..." instead of Intel graphics.
Posted Image

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts
Any idea why OpenGL crashes after going through several "Loading - please wait"s?

Also having the same issue with DirectX, only reason I'm using it is because Software graphics look awful and OpenGL is unstable.
Posted Image

If this DirectX issue can't be fixed, does anyone know how to deal with OpenGL's crashing?

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Den
[ Display Name History ]

Den

Movie Director

• Members
  • 8,257 posts
  • RSN:Rainy
Rook and Askthedude managed to fix it for me.

By right clicking the Runescape Client, then selecting Run with High Performance NVIDIA, DirectX with AA 4x looks just like it should. I'll assume the glitch has something to do with the Intel Graphics since everyone with this issue seems to have Intel Graphics as well as another one (me included).

The OpenGL crash is still a mystery to me, but I run a stable 30 FPS with DirectX, so I'll probably be using that anyway from now on while on my laptop.

Thanks for the help guys! :)

Edit: Just read a message from Rook about fixing it through the NVIDIA Control panel if you have a dual graphics card.

I hope you have the same dual graphic card problem that I did, NVIDIA Optimus is not working properly for you. Go to NVIDIA Control panel, In the 3d settings tree, select Manage 3D settings, if you want select NVIDIA as your "preferred graphics processor", or instead just go to the "Program settings" tab and add Java and firefox to run using NVIDIA graphics.

Feels good to play with Anti-aliasing again. :P

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts

I hope you have the same dual graphic card problem that I did, NVIDIA Optimus is not working properly for you. Go to NVIDIA Control panel, In the 3d settings tree, select Manage 3D settings, if you want select NVIDIA as your "preferred graphics processor", or instead just go to the "Program settings" tab and add Java and firefox to run using NVIDIA graphics.

Appears that I'm running an integrated card because I can't select a preferred processor :(
Posted Image
Posted Image
Any idea of another way to work around this?

System Info:
Posted Image
Thanks guys.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users