Runescape Reformation

KCHughes

I guess because I'm a little bored at the moment, I feel I should share some recent ideas I've had about how to make Runescape better! Hope you like 'em!

-Governing Councils: I was playing a text-based RPG awhile ago, and it contained an interesting little feature: Players could be elected to an office in a city. This would be a nifty thing to have in Runescape, in my opinion. Players extend their influences and build a good reputation in a particular city, an election occurs every so often (maybe one to two months) and the player can now make important decisions for that city! Jagex can include features for governing people that parallel the politics of the High Middle Ages, which the game appears to be based on. Could be a learning experience, too.

-Bring back RSC PKing: I'm tired of the boredom of walking all over Runescape with nothing to occupy my thought except for mindless clicking where I want to go. The PKing that was in RSC would be a good addition to eliminate this boredom. Runescape is an "adventure" game, and mindless clicking is nowhere near "adventurous". Having to watch out for other travellers who may be lying in wait to pounce on you, now THAT'S exciting! Of course, there would be limits. For instance, gang-PKing wouldn't be allowed (no multi-way areas in the non-Wilderness), and there could also be PKing in cities, but there would be dire consequences for those that do so!

-"Learning" skills: This was also in the text-based RPG: Players could 'learn' skills from other higher-level players, who would 'teach' these skills. Instead of just going around and training skills, players would be able to gain a little experience by being taught the skill instead. Some of the more complex skills, like magic, runecrafting, herblore, ranging, combat, and crafting, would require this learning feature, because they seem to be skills that you need to learn and not just simply train. There would also be limitation on how much you could learn, like you would have to be at a certain level in a skill before you could learn more about it. Also, players that 'teach' other players a skill would also get a small experience bonus for teaching.

That's all I can think of...what do you think?

the russians are the best! Hands down!
Womzoomed-1.gif

I guess because I'm a little bored at the moment, I feel I should share some recent ideas I've had about how to make Runescape better! Hope you like 'em!

-Bring back RSC PKing: I'm tired of the boredom of walking all over Runescape with nothing to occupy my thought except for mindless clicking where I want to go. The PKing that was in RSC would be a good addition to eliminate this boredom. Runescape is an "adventure" game, and mindless clicking is nowhere near "adventurous". Having to watch out for other travellers who may be lying in wait to pounce on you, now THAT'S exciting! Of course, there would be limits. For instance, gang-PKing wouldn't be allowed (no multi-way areas in the non-Wilderness), and there could also be PKing in cities, but there would be dire consequences for those that do so!

I think PKing should be banned only in certain areas (Wizard tower, towns, cities, and maybe outskirts of a city. However, PKing in cities would make it hard to accomplish anything. For instance, I walk to smelt bars, but wait! Boom i get attacked, bye bye ores/bars.

I love the idea of politics and elected players in a game, but a game like runescape? With the community as it is? Spare me.

I'm an optimist, so look at it this way: The community members who are too stupid to master a computer game where all you have to do is click your mouse are obviously too stupid to vote in an election. Yay democracy!

Womzoomed-1.gif

I love the idea of politics and elected players in a game, but a game like Runescape? With the community as it is? Spare me.

I agree. I bet the average age of the people who play RS is less than the number of fingers I have. It would definitely need a more mature audience to make something like that effective and fun. Maybe they could set some kind of age limit...oh wait, kids would just lie. :roll:

well those kids would probably just nominate themselves and vote for themselves

Then nobody would vote for them because they have a bad reputation or are noobs.

Womzoomed-1.gif

-Governing Councils: I was playing a text-based RPG awhile ago, and it contained an interesting little feature: Players could be elected to an office in a city. This would be a nifty thing to have in Runescape, in my opinion. Players extend their influences and build a good reputation in a particular city, an election occurs every so often (maybe one to two months) and the player can now make important decisions for that city! Jagex can include features for governing people that parallel the politics of the High Middle Ages, which the game appears to be based on. Could be a learning experience, too.

-"Learning" skills: This was also in the text-based RPG: Players could 'learn' skills from other higher-level players, who would 'teach' these skills. Instead of just going around and training skills, players would be able to gain a little experience by being taught the skill instead. Some of the more complex skills, like magic, runecrafting, herblore, ranging, combat, and crafting, would require this learning feature, because they seem to be skills that you need to learn and not just simply train. There would also be limitation on how much you could learn, like you would have to be at a certain level in a skill before you could learn more about it. Also, players that 'teach' other players a skill would also get a small experience bonus for teaching.

I bet the little brats would all vote for Zezima. It sounds like a good idea, but the Runescape Community is too immature for this to happen without creating Chaos.

You do realise PK everywhere would scare away A LOT of new players, and make you play the game under constant tension? Sorry, Runescape isn't the real world, and JAGeX is a business, so they won't try to scare away new players, sorry. And many people want to CHOOSE to PK, not get randomly killed wherever you went. I'd rather have the Wilderness then flagging PK off, thank you; because... well, I still want to PK... making the whole world PKable would cause too many complications for JAGeX, since they have to protect new players and people who don't want to PK while still making PKing a fun experience. And I really don't want to fight just people three levels higher/lower than me, I want to fight a whole range of players.

The learning skill is doable (but rather excessive), but make it so you can only learn up to a quarter of the teacher's level... or just don't implement it at all. It is excessive.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

-Governing Councils: I was playing a text-based RPG awhile ago, and it contained an interesting little feature: Players could be elected to an office in a city. This would be a nifty thing to have in Runescape, in my opinion. Players extend their influences ...

I know a handful of nice 'scapers, but there are plenty of bratty teens who would fill these offices, and I don't care to be subjected to their influences :) I'm a college teacher playin RS for kicks...I need no in-game government.

-Bring back RSC PKing...The PKing that was in RSC would be a good addition to eliminate this boredom. Runescape is an "adventure" game, and mindless clicking is nowhere near "adventurous". Having to watch out for other travellers who may be lying in wait to pounce on you, now THAT'S exciting!

One of the biggest reasons I play RS is that there's very little others can do to ruin my fun. If this were made to be, I'd quit.

-"Learning" skills...Some of the more complex skills, like magic, runecrafting, herblore, ranging, combat, and crafting, would require this learning feature

Another of the biggest reasons I play RS is that I can play alone. Sure, I pm with a few people, trade, and converse while trading, but that's it. I don't want to rely on anyone or have them rely on me. Other games may work that way, but that's why I play this one.

Lpinkus

-Governing Councils: I was playing a text-based RPG awhile ago, and it contained an interesting little feature: Players could be elected to an office in a city. This would be a nifty thing to have in Runescape, in my opinion. Players extend their influences ...

I know a handful of nice 'scapers, but there are plenty of bratty teens who would fill these offices, and I don't care to be subjected to their influences :) I'm a college teacher playin RS for kicks...I need no in-game government.

-Bring back RSC PKing...The PKing that was in RSC would be a good addition to eliminate this boredom. Runescape is an "adventure" game, and mindless clicking is nowhere near "adventurous". Having to watch out for other travellers who may be lying in wait to pounce on you, now THAT'S exciting!

One of the biggest reasons I play RS is that there's very little others can do to ruin my fun. If this were made to be, I'd quit.

-"Learning" skills...Some of the more complex skills, like magic, runecrafting, herblore, ranging, combat, and crafting, would require this learning feature

Another of the biggest reasons I play RS is that I can play alone. Sure, I pm with a few people, trade, and converse while trading, but that's it. I don't want to rely on anyone or have them rely on me. Other games may work that way, but that's why I play this one.

Lpinkus

What he said. The problem with most of your ideas is that they give certain players power over others, and considering Runescape's immature community little kids would just want to abuse their power and give hell to people just for the fun of it, making lots of people's Runescape life very miserable. I met a bully in Tibia when I played (Tibia can PK anywhere), and I can tell you I quit the game after that experience (If you want to know, he kept following me and kill me when I come out of safe-spots... and tell people I'm a noob who stole his stuff).

I don't want Runescape becoming Tibia the Second, so I am against all of your ideas.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

I really like the PK idea.

My earliest memories of Runescape were back in the days when the great cabbage wars were being fought (no joke, clans fought over the cabbage patches because of the quick and easy healing) and player bandits marauded the weak.

My idea would to have the wilderness zones follow the road. The road might be 1-5 wilderness, spreading out and increasing as you venture from the road. Gangs could set up along a well travelled shortcut (such as Draynor woods or Lumbridge forest) and attack bold travellers.

Also, towns would be open to PKing at say, level 10? If a player is attacked, however, all the guards in that area would smack down the attacker (make the guards level 91 Paladins if you want). We could have backstreet muggings and planned assaults.

Basically, it would be really cool, but if it was implemented, everyone and thier mother would whine about it.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

What I was really against was UNCONTROLLED random PKing. Controlled? No problems.

Perhaps you could give every Runescape Player a "Reputation" rating. If you go around killing random people, you will lose reputation really fast; and when your reputation drops below zero, not only would you be unable to enter civilised areas without being attacked by guards, but other players can attack you without penalty to their reputation - in fact, they gain reputation for it.

Reputation can be gained by doing quests, or killing "Wanted" players (people with reputations of zero or lower). If you have negative reputation, you can slowly gain back reputation to zero by not doing killing anyone. Banks are, of course; safe zones where you cannot be attacked, and so is the Monastery. If you are attacked in civilised areas, guards will appear to help you (unless you are a Wanted player, which in that case guards will attack you).

If the Wilderness is kept, maybe make it a place where PKing makes no difference to your reputation, and neither does in-game dueling.

Calculation for reputation: if you attack a normal player, you will automatically lose reputation equal to half the reputation of the player you attacked: the minimum amount of reputation you can lose, however; is 25 (so if the player has 40 reputation, you will still lose 25 yourself). If you kill the player, you will lose another half: so in total, you will lose the total reputation of the player (again, minimum 25).

If you attack a negatively reputed player, however; you gain reputation equal to half the negative reputation of the person (minimum 25), and if you kill him/her you gain another half.

If a person was attacked by someone and retaliates, he/she will get no change to their reputation unless they kill the person who attacked them. In that case, if the defender has positive rep and the attacker negative, the defender will gain rep equal to the negative rep of the attacker. if the attacker still has positive rep, no change will be done to the defender's rep. If the defender has negative rep and the attacker positive, the defender will lose rep equal to the rep of the attacker if he/she kills him/her. If both are negative and the attacker was killed by the defender, no changes.

Examples:

A player of Reputation 10 attacks someone with Reputation 60. The attacker immediately loses 30 reputation. If the attacker manages to kill the person, he/she loses a further 30, so his/her final reputation after killing someone is -50.

A player with 10 Reputation attacks someone with -60 Reputation. He/She automatically gets 30 reps, and if he/she kills the wanted player he/she gets another 30 reps. So the attacking player, if managed to kill the wanted player, has a reputation of 70 in the end.

~Toxicologist~

the skill thing on "teaching" skills to other players sounds good, and your right, there should be a pking place thats not in wildy.

Yeah, the "teaching" idea sounds good because it already exists in other multiplayer games :) They're often called apprentice points. In RS, as I usually say, you can play without the help of others (almost always) and that's attractive to many players, myself included.

As far as the "pking place that's not in wildy" goes, I thought Tox's idea about a "reputation" stat was interesting, not to mention well explained. However, what about a player like me who does not wish to put myself at risk AT ALL? Sure, some moron will lose "reputation" points for attacking me, but he still is killng me! I would insist that this idea would only be for players that agree to it. Players like me want some sort of neutrality.

Lpinkus

Random killings would not be all that fun. The way I see it, a reputation stat wouldn't help much. Unscrupulous players could and would go rampaging about slaughtering everyone for their belongings. You could just be minding your own business, when up comes a bandit/pker and kills you. Not all that fun. JAGeX created the new wild just so that wouldn't happen (either that or they got tired of all the whining). I'm pretty sure droves of exasperated players would leave if the "old" wild was implemented.

On the politics issue, I believe Bubsa and lpinkus share my opinions.

The apprentencing would be ok, but I'd rather not be dependant on other people to learn new skills. I'd rather just see it give bonus xp or something.

Abutebaris modo subjunctivo denuo.

newscapere4.gif

grammar2gr8dx.png

Random killings would not be all that fun. The way I see it, a reputation stat wouldn't help much. Unscrupulous players could and would go rampaging about slaughtering everyone for their belongings. You could just be minding your own business, when up comes a bandit/pker and kills you. Not all that fun. JAGeX created the new wild just so that wouldn't happen (either that or they got tired of all the whining). I'm pretty sure droves of exasperated players would leave if the "old" wild was implemented.

On the politics issue, I believe Bubsa and lpinkus share my opinions.

The apprentencing would be ok, but I'd rather not be dependant on other people to learn new skills. I'd rather just see it give bonus xp or something.

It won't be that fun to be a killer, when every reputation-seeking person starts hunting you down, and you can't enter cities without being attacked by level 100 guards.

Maybe you could make reputation do something good, so people would try to kill killers to get reputation.

~Toxicologist~

I like Toxicologist idea about the reputation. I think it would work fairly well. I think people are afraid that they could be killed anywhere instantly. I think there would be levels like in the wildy so if a level 30 is walking from lumbridge to varrock a lvl 100 can't just go and kill them. Also you won't be killed in city hardly ever, because it would be easy to place lvl 100+ guards that protect that city. So if you ever were attacked then the attacker would have to deal with the guards as well. I think that the new guards would be able to attack through prayer. That way you couldn't just attack someone stick on the prayer and not have to worry.

I think this would liven up the game, but I also think that there should be a limit on where you can attack because I really don't want to deal with attackers when I am training a non-combat skill.

intermissiontintdawg7qfedit28b.jpg

Your true character is what you are like when you believe there are no repercussions.

And maybe extend the reputation idea a bit, like a person with very low reputation gives more experience when you attack them. Lol!

~Toxicologist~

But what if these bandits killed everyone for free items, then went and killed other bandits to get their reputation back up to be able to enter the city? Reputation is all fine and dandy in the intitial phase, but I don't think it's implementational in today's RS. After all the immature nutjobs became bandits, then got slaughtered, they'd most likely start whining and rampaging about it. I think this would drive quite a few people away. I already get enough of a headache listening to today's pkers whine about this, that, and the other. As you yourself said before, I don't want this to turn into another Tibia. One was bad enough.

Abutebaris modo subjunctivo denuo.

newscapere4.gif

grammar2gr8dx.png