T-Shirt Design

Hawks

Obviously I suck at making t-shirt designs. What I want is a shirt that has a bari sax on it, and says 'you just got bari'd' - much like the 'instrument hero' shirts you've probably seen around. This is what I have atm:

[hide=see the bottom of this page]

wrc0gl.png

Yes, it's a pile of brushes with a badly rendered bari and some text on top. I want it to be that sort of grungy vector type stuff that goes with the gh font and such, and am failing miserably.

Something else would be - how do you cheat and make a 'vector' in GIMP... There's some kind of plug in but I don't remember what it is/how to use it.[/hide]

Questions, comments, suggestions would be nice. ie help me please.

I like the concept, the text needs to look like its sposed to be there, and maybe get a guy/gal holding/playing the bari, with flames or something if your going for the GH look :)

P.s good to see another gimp user.

feelgood.png

~Force no friend, Fear no foe~

What, to you, makes a good t-shirt design?

For me, simplicity and ease of understanding. My eyes, in this design are going everywhere. I don't know where to focus, the brushes look ugly and the text tacky. You have heaps of crazy designs going in the background and that is bad.

Remove the background, and just have the text and sax. It'll be much more effective.

lampost_sig_stark.png

For me, simplicity and ease of understanding. My eyes, in this design are going everywhere. I don't know where to focus, the brushes look ugly and the text tacky. You have heaps of crazy designs going in the background and that is bad.

Remove the background, and just have the text and sax. It'll be much more effective.

I agree with Shiny, as this was more or less going to be what I was going to post. The background has far too much going on. I prefer t-shirts to be simple.

Another thing. If you feel up to it, I think you should make the sax vectored.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I think it would make for a better, cleaner tshirt if you just had the text and the saxophone.

When you say 'instrument' hero tshirts, are you referring to something like this?

bandgeekheroshirts.jpg

The font is fine imo (it's the guitar hero font), but if you want people to recognise that it's meant to be like the tshirts above, think about placing your text in a better position (e.g The two words 'Saxophone hero' together near the saxophone).

The filter you used on the saxophone looks really bad, would proooooobably look a lot better without it.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Clearly I just needed to expend some effort on it. Thoughts?

ath4y.png

Will probably put it on a dark gray t-shirt... Not sure though.

EDIT: Best place to get shirts printed? All I found that really works is Zazzle, and I guess they're decent..

That's a lot better.

The text " You just got" is still weirdly placed imo

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Yeah I would switch up the text a bit.

Perhaps add just a bit of color on the baritone. Right now I don't think the baritone would be very noticeable on a grey shirt and the text takes a lot of the focus.

Just a note about the first one. Never make a design a box of ink that has part of the design missing... I had a guitar shirt like that... it looks SOOOOOO Lame....

Also, when making T-shirt designs, less is more... so if you have black parts on a black shirt, get rid of the color and do a thin outline or something and use the shirt as a color. The less ink and colors you use the cheaper it is to make, not to mention the shirt won't crack as much if it doesn't have HUGE blocks of color.

Reference Demented Hero:

http://hereberobots.bigcartel.com/

I Support TET!| If you want bunny PM Me.|Click For My DevArt

musics.png

^ Cowboy is the Best ^

IT'S A TRAP SHINY JUST WANTS TO STALK YOU.

Hell yeah I do. Whats your msn?

That's how it all starts.

Next he's going to ask you what flavor of candy you enjoy and whats your favorite color van.

• 3 weeks later...

surprised.jpg

mfw you used my brushes! <3

That being said, I much prefer your second version. You have to be very careful with t-shirt designs in that they should be bold and eye catching. People will look at it in the store for a few seconds, and if in those few seconds they don't know what part of the image to look at, they might just move on. You have to be very careful. :P

Anyway, the vector looks great, and the only thing i'd mention is that the apostophe looks like it could be a rouge dot for the I.