Youtube troubles

Kimberly

No matter what I do, when I go to youtube to watch a video, it shows nothing but a black square and doesn't load the player. I've tried:

1) Updating Flash and doing a clean install

2) Trying Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome (latest versions for all)

3) Using a different computer

4) Disabling all add-ons for all browsers

5) Clearing my browsing history

6) Restarted, everything up to date, and so on

To no avail. What I really want to know is if anyone else is experiencing this problem and, if not, what do I do to fix it? I've checked Youtube's help documentation and Currently Known Site Issues, none of which offer any insight to my problems.

EDIT: To explain it a little more concisely, I can access the site itself just fine and load other flash elements (like games). But on Youtube specifically any video I try to load only opens a black container that doesn't play.

EDIT: This is what it looks like:

n05WK.png

(Ignore the black circle on the bottom right, I did that myself. It was a picture of a woman in a thong, which wouldn't have been appropriate to show.)

EDIT: Thanks to help from someone, I found that the Html 5 version of videos work fine for me as well as embedded. It's only when I try to view them actually ON youtube's site with the flash player does it fail.

Edited by Kimberly

hzvjpwS.gif

uninstall flash and do a clean install of it

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I tried it on two different computers, it's very unlikely that my main computer had an issue here with its flash. Especially since I tried it with Chrome, which has its own built-in flash player. But in the interest of being thorough, I did as you recommended and unsurprisingly, it did nothing.

I take it Youtube's videos are working for you? You didn't address that point in my post and I kind of wonder if you read it all. :/

hzvjpwS.gif

Yes it works fine for me; I didn't see the need to add tht to my post as I thought it was implicit that in giving another thing to try and make it work for you it must work my end, as if if it did not work my end I would of said as such and suggested maybe youtube was having issues.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Seems a bit odd to not want to say something that's supposedly implied (even though it was the first and foremost question I asked) yet offer advice that has already been checked and explained. >_> But thank you for trying to help.

I guess I'll just have to hope it sorts itself out.

hzvjpwS.gif

I did not advise something you already "checked and explained"

You listed:

1) Updating Flash and doing a clean install

2) Trying Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome (latest versions for all)

3) Using a different computer

5) Clearing my browsing history

2,3,4 and 5 having no bearing on my advice at all.

1 is in a similar vein yes but updating flash is not the same as removing it completely to do a clean install.

Sometimes when an update doesn't work it could be a file that the update did not touch that has become corrupt in some way, as such removing the entire program for a clean install can fix matters.

And its not odd at all; its pure and simple you asked:

"is if anyone else is experiencing this problem and, if not, what do I do to fix it?"

The sheer fact I'm giving fixing advice addresses the "if not" element which I would have no reason to address unless I was not experiencing the problem.

Getting snotty when someone is trying to be helpful isn't exactly a stellar quality to display.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

2,3,4 and 5 having no bearing on my advice at all.

Especially since I tried it with Chrome, which has its own built-in flash player.

So yes, it does have bearing, and it was unnecessary to even ask it. And it frustrated me. Sorry.

Getting snotty when someone is trying to be helpful isn't exactly a stellar quality to display.

Neither is disregarding the original post. Repeating things wastes my time and yours, and I don't appreciate it. Acting defensive over poor advice however, quite possibly my bigger pet peeve.

Can you play embedded Youtube videos? Dunno if you've tried restarting your computer yet, guessing you might have after the flash reinstall? Btw I'm not having any problems myself.

I found that the Html 5 version of videos work fine for me as well as embedded.

>____________________________________________________>

hzvjpwS.gif

No problems myself.

Try doing a nice reboot. If you can, see if the drivers for your computer are out of date. (eg. Video, Sound, etc) Right now you should be trying anything at this point.

And Accursed, just calm down mate. Focus on the problem, not the advice given.

j0xPu5R.png

Thank you for the confirmations. Yes, I've already did a reboot and I'm sorry I didn't mark that on things I've already tried. My drivers are up-to-date, as I recently reformatted my computer. I should've mentioned that earlier even though I can't imagine how they'd affect it but hey, I'm not brilliant and I'm a bit at wits end, so yeah.

hzvjpwS.gif

It was not poor advice at all; it was perfectly decent advice.

And I in no way disregarded the original post I read it and answered it with perfectly decent advice that by the wording of your question inferred I had no issue.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Do you have adblock installed by any chance? If you do, try disabling it on youtube - sometimes it can make videos not play correctly.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Do you have adblock installed by any chance? If you do, try disabling it on youtube - sometimes it can make videos not play correctly.

Jesus I could scream.

hzvjpwS.gif

Herp. You must feel like you're being trolled right now aha :(

Sorry I missed it - but that was the one thing that occurred to me as embedding was working fine.

Try to view the vids from the actual user page - does that make any difference? I know you said "any vid" didn't work but I assume that just meant using the video page itself.

edit: so instead of watching this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QwCAwX-Ze0

watch this: http://www.youtube.com/user/sxephil

polvCwJ.gif

If the above is right, it must mean hardware acceleration isn't enabled for embedded videos. Interesting - curious to see if that works for you (disabling acceleration)

polvCwJ.gif

God [bleep]ing bless you, Eee. I have to manually add the 's' to the video's url, but it works like a charm. Thank you. I'm ashamed I didn't look deep enough to see if anyone else had this problem on my own, I honestly didn't even know Adobe had a forum set-up. Anyway, thanks again.

If the above is right, it must mean hardware acceleration isn't enabled for embedded videos. Interesting - curious to see if that works for you (disabling acceleration)

Well I just right clicked and went to settings on an embedded flash video and it says hardware acceleration is enabled.

hzvjpwS.gif

Try disabling it and seeing if the vids work (on http, not s) if you don't mind - just for my curiosity now :P

I'm curious myself and I'll be glad to, one moment.

EDIT:

Nope, it doesn't make bit of difference. (The balls are inert.)

hzvjpwS.gif

I think this might work.. if you still need to go to https://youtube.com rather than http://youtube.com, you could just add a hosts file entry to redirect all traffic going to http://you... to go instead to https://...

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche