Cars with driver's side on the right side.

spooferfish

Oh god, I couldn't handle LHD. Since I'm right handed my right arm is stronger than the left, meaning that I can keep my strong arm on the wheel when changing gears or adjusting the radio.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

The car isn't going to swerve out of control if your dominant hand isn't on the wheel. Hell, if your axles are align you can let go and it'll go straight.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I know the car isn't going to swerve out of control if I'm not keeping my hands on the wheel, but if I'm shifting gears while going round a roundabout, or even if something happens which will require me to suddenly have to change direction while changing gears, I personally would feel safer and more confident with my stronger hand on the wheel. I'm not saying it's a superior way of having it, just that it's the one I'd prefer, although that could easily be because it's the only way I've tried. In reality it probably doesn't make that much difference, and while it would make sense for the entire world to use the same system, the amount of effort and cost it would take to achieve that would be unlikely to be outweighed by the benefits

Piscis_Rex.png

99.99999998465% of the world's population is not me, if you are the 0.00000001535% that is me, put this in you signature

-"being famous is like being a woman, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't"

Oh god, I couldn't handle LHD. Since I'm right handed my right arm is stronger than the left, meaning that I can keep my strong arm on the wheel when changing gears or adjusting the radio.

All you RHD people keep saying this, but honestly...I feel way better putting my strong arm [right hand] on the stick, so I don't have to worry about grinding gears constantly, or stalling for that matter. MOst cars have power steering so my left hand is fine controlling the car - hell I've seen people drive with their knees.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

All you RHD people keep saying this, but honestly...I feel way better putting my strong arm [right hand] on the stick, so I don't have to worry about grinding gears constantly, or stalling for that matter. MOst cars have power steering so my left hand is fine controlling the car - hell I've seen people drive with their knees.

Actually there's no difference in driving RHD or LHD. It's going to feel odd for the first few times then then you'll be so used to it you won't even notice it. Seems like people are really making such a big fuss about "oh, but my strong arm won't be on the wheel anymore!!!" That's where powersteering comes in. If you're worth a driver's ass you should be able to sreer the car with your weak hand/arm's weakest finger. Switching from LHD to RHD or vice verca. But the fact of the matter is, it's better to change gears with the stronger hand. It offers more control. You simply need to keep your hand on the wheel when you shift gears. There's no need to turn nor swerve whilst changing gears, so there's no need to keep your stronger hand on the wheel. If you can't keep something as simple as a steering wheel straight with your weaker arm then you might as well cut it off.

Actually there's no difference in driving RHD or LHD. It's going to feel odd for the first few times then then you'll be so used to it you won't even notice it. Seems like people are really making such a big fuss about "oh, but my strong arm won't be on the wheel anymore!!!" That's where powersteering comes in. If you're worth a driver's ass you should be able to sreer the car with your weak hand/arm's weakest finger. Switching from LHD to RHD or vice verca. But the fact of the matter is, it's better to change gears with the stronger hand. It offers more control. You simply need to keep your hand on the wheel when you shift gears. There's no need to turn nor swerve whilst changing gears, so there's no need to keep your stronger hand on the wheel. If you can't keep something as simple as a steering wheel straight with your weaker arm then you might as well cut it off.

I'll never need to be turning while changing gears? So I guess I should be going around roundabouts in first gear all the time then?

Anyway, the point isn't that I can't control the car with my left hand, hell, I could probably steer a car with my chin if I felt like it. The point is that I personally feel more confident with my stronger right arm making sure the car is going where I want it to go.

Piscis_Rex.png

99.99999998465% of the world's population is not me, if you are the 0.00000001535% that is me, put this in you signature

-"being famous is like being a woman, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't"

Sure I could use my weaker arm, but using my stronger arm offers more security in the fact that if there's an emergency then I have more control.

It's like the parable of a kingdom where four knights carry the queen around on some seat-type-thing and one of the knights dies and so the queen asks the knights how close they could get to the edge of a cliff and not lose balance and fall (which would cause the queen to also fall.) First knight says 1', second knight boasts 6", the third knight says he would stay as far away as possible as her life is too valuable.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Yeah, I think I'd prefer shifting with my dominant hand.

Exactly.

I'm sure if I needed to shift when my left hand I could, but it just feels natural to shift with my right hand.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

How'd this turn from a question into a discussion about dominant hands? :blink:

Because it's relevant to which side you shift on based on what side the steering wheel is on.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I still have no problems with changing gears with my "weaker" hand. Of course that's entirely because that's how I learned to do it, so I'm reasonably co-ordinated between my left foot and my left hand, in terms of clutch control and shifting the gear stick.

I think the bigger issue would be driving on the "wrong" side of the road, that would be weirder, especially when combined with have to consciously change gears with the other hand. I can see why people take a bit of time to adjust between the different systmes.

rosssigfinal.jpg

I find it funny that you would think its a problem not having the dominant hand on the wheel. Having learned to LHD, I can tell you that in terms of spinning the wheel, the my left hand (And I am right handed) is actually much better at solo steering than my right hand is, especially in right hand turns, which is important because I normally have two hands free for left turns, having already shifted and just let the clutch up before or during the turn. But for a right turn, I have normally shift during the turn itself and I will have my right hand free to help with steering by the time I have done a half rotation back to the left to straiten out (a half rotation being about as far as my left hand can turn the car to the left before I have to palm it, which is much harder anti-clockwise than it is clock-wise).

Now, if I were in a RHD car, then I would expect to be on the other side of the road, and left turns would be the more complicated ones, and I would naturally need the hands switched around since they way I dirve, its the opposet hand (right hand for left turns, left for right turns) that holds the wheel during the turn, while the other hand does cross overs to hold it while the other hand palms.

And manuals are just way more fun to drive to automatics, because you have more control over the car.

And manuals are just way more fun to drive to automatics, because you have more control over the car.

You have more control over the engine, in a manner of speaking. But you have less control over the car. More control would suggest more time spent with both hands on the wheel. This can only be achieved with an automatic vehicle. Regardless, most modern automatic cars have tiptronic gearboxes which enables you to switch from automatic to manual at the touch of a button.

Edit: Surprised no one has brought up the fact that some cars (i think German made cars), when converted from LHD to RHD the indicators, wipers and lights stay on the exact same place which would ultimately make them seem to be the other way around. If you get what i mean.