Youtube App on iPod Touch 2G

The Dark Lord

Hey, I've had a problem where videos played on the Youtube app on iPod Touch work fine for a week or two, then it suddenly says "This video cannot be played." There are a lot of people that have had this issue, and I've looked through threads about the issue and no one ever received any useful info about how to solve the problem.

The videos work fine when played on my computer. Videos seemingly cannot be played at random and stay that way. I've tried clearing my history on the Youtube app, tried rebooting the iPod, etc. I don't know what to do.

This problem has happened all the years that I've owned an iPod touch. Now I'm pissed off enough to try to do something about it.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Solution: Get a better ipod touch.

It fails cause its outdated; considering we are on the 5th gen now that's a good 3 years of technological leaps and bounds forward.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Such useful advice.

Anyway, I think I at least resolved the issue, for now. I upgraded the software on the iPod to the most recent version, and youtube seems to be working fine.

SWAG

Not all videos on youtube are optimised for mobile viewing.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It fails cause its outdated; considering we are on the 5th gen now that's a good 3 years of technological leaps and bounds forward.

Seriously? I'm assuming you've never used an iPhone or iPod Touch, because you obviously do not know anything about them.

OP, YouTube uses video content formatted in H.264 to supply all of Apple's devices. While the majority of YouTube's content is available in this format, some is not.

Seriously? I'm assuming you've never used an iPhone or iPod Touch, because you obviously do not know anything about them.

OP, YouTube uses video content formatted in H.264 to supply all of Apple's devices. While the majority of YouTube's content is available in this format, some is not.

I own a 4th gen ipod touch; just because it gets software updates doesn't magically mean it doesn't become outdated. Software is limited by hardware.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I own a 4th gen ipod touch; just because it gets software updates doesn't magically mean it doesn't become outdated. Software is limited by hardware.

You suggested that the only way to fix his problem was by upgrading to a newer device. That's absolutely ludicrous.

His old one isn't going to stop functioning just because a newer edition comes out.

You suggested that the only way to fix his problem was by upgrading to a newer device. That's absolutely ludicrous.

His old one isn't going to stop functioning just because a newer edition comes out.

The issue in question has existed ever since the 2nd gen came out; so it is an issue inherent to the device itself.

The span of YEARS of it existing with no obvious fixes on google suggests its not something that can be viable fixed.

Technological advances in hardware and the way things are optimised means we are on a cusp where it is quite likely less videos are going to work on a 2nd gen device simply due to its technological limitations.

So yes my advice would be to upgrade the device itself.

However I never said it was the ONLY solution, its just A solution that would be my personal route.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

The issue in question has existed ever since the 2nd gen came out; so it is an issue inherent to the device itself.

The span of YEARS of it existing with no obvious fixes on google suggests its not something that can be viable fixed.

Technological advances in hardware and the way things are optimised means we are on a cusp where it is quite likely less videos are going to work on a 2nd gen device simply due to its technological limitations.

So yes my advice would be to upgrade the device itself.

However I never said it was the ONLY solution, its just A solution that would be my personal route.

Why would you ever suggest shelling out $200 just to attempt to solve an issue, with no guarantee of it fixing anything?

The issue exists across all devices and is not specific to the second iteration of the iPod Touch. It happens when there is an issue in formatting or an interruption in service. "Technological advances" has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I can't say I've heard of this issue on 3rd gen and I've never had it on my 4th gen, so I'd see it as a pretty conclusive solution; not just an attempt that may or may not work.

Plus if you engage you ability to read I clearly explained technological advances meaning it is LIKELY less videos will work on old 2nd gen tech SOON; I did not say it caused this issue specifically (though it may contribute on some videos based on codecs and stuff).

Plus given the issue description videos that previously worked suddenly ceasing to work I fail to see how interruption in service has much to do with it; especially given this is an ipod not an iphone so its only connectivity option is wifi; which is far less likely to be dipping in and out as it is a shorter range signal that people mostly use while stationary or within a confined area (eg your house).

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a newer iPod Touch, but considering that I cannot be too sure if the issue will persist in the newer devices or not and considering the fact that I only ever use my iPod Touch for Youtube and my mp3 files, it doesn't make much sense from my perspective to upgrade. Especially since I'm perfectly fine with my iPod until Apple forces me to upgrade and/or the iPod wears down and breaks. Hell, I knew since day one that the battery life on the 2G sucked, but that didn't stop me from liking my iPod. Space? That has never been an issue for me. I only ever purchase music that I think I will continue to like months down the road; the rest of the music I listen to on Youtube. And I'm not a pirate, so it's not like I download thousands of songs and will ever come close to using up the 4-8 gigs left on my iPod.

SWAG

A solution solves a problem. You've presented an alternative.

Semantics, sure, but that's why people got upset. It's not solving the problem.

It's not a semantic issue at all. Replacing the product with a better version known to lack the issue does solve it as the problem is no longer there for you.

Same was if you open a customer support case with apple, or any other big tech company, they sometimes conclude in the solution of replacement; which in the case of old devices often means replacement with a newer version of the device.

The problem is tied to the device, eliminate the device and you eliminate the problem; nothing "alternative" or semantically wrong in calling that a solution.

That's like saying taking the bus to work because you cannot afford your car anymore isn't a solution to getting to work because it doesn't include use of the car; but it is because it solves it by eliminating the item causing the problem.

Or that taking road B as road A is shut isn't a solution to getting somewhere because it doesn't include road A; but it is because it solves it by eliminating the item causing the problem.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

It does not solve the problem with the device itself. I'm not sure how you're going to twist it to say otherwise. I'm sure you'll find some way, though.

OP: I don't own a 2g personally but my friend used to always complain to me about fixing his date/time on his touch to play videos properly. Dunno if that still applies, or it was fixed, or what. Just throwing it out there. Don't know if it will solve your problem, or if it even applies.

hzvjpwS.gif

I never said it would fix the problem on the device itself; I only said it would solve the problem.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I can't say I've heard of this issue on 3rd gen and I've never had it on my 4th gen, so I'd see it as a pretty conclusive solution; not just an attempt that may or may not work.

Yes, because you display such omniscient knowledge of all iPod generations! Woe is me! I've had an iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, and an iPhone 4S. The issue exists on all of them when:

• A video is not formatted in H.264
  • There is an interruption in service (signal dropping - cellular or otherwise)
  • An issue with the service provider or ISP

Plus if you engage you ability to read

How childish. Please forgive me, I must have forgotten to put my reading glasses on. Excuse me while I increase the resolution on my screen to clearly read your previous ramblings.

I clearly explained technological advances meaning it is LIKELY less videos will work on old 2nd gen tech SOON; I did not say it caused this issue specifically (though it may contribute on some videos based on codecs and stuff).
What does that even mean? Less likely to work soon? YouTube is YouTube. The iPod Touch 2G isn't going to suddenly lose its ability to play YouTube videos because Apple released a new version of the iPhone of iPod lines. Likewise, they aren't going to cut a promised feature, that initially shipped with the device, from an older model. Talk about a PR nightmare.

Codecs and bandwidths and methods for optimising things etc. advance; at some point older tech won't support the new methods due to hardware limitations.

Same way older graphics cards can't run HD videos or newer games, or older processors can't run 64 bit.

I never claimed new releases from apple were the cause, merely technological advances; though it is safe to assume at some point updates and support for older devices will dry up when it becomes problematic to simply apply new upgrades to the older hardware due to its limitations.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

It doesn't you just fixated upon it.

I suggested upgrading the device as based on personal experience and reading the precise issue described is, at the very least, far less common and more easily fixed/avoided on newer generation ipods and being 2nd gen his device is getting rather old so it is likely to run into issues reasonably soon due technological advances outstripping the hardware capabilities.

The likely impending issues to arise due to old hardware was merely an extra factor as to why I chose that solution as my personal advice to him, I never said it was the cause or in anyway related to the current issue.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

It doesn't you just fixated upon it.

I suggested upgrading the device as based on personal experience and reading the precise issue described is, at the very least, far less common and more easily fixed/avoided on newer generation ipods and being 2nd gen his device is getting rather old so it is likely to run into issues reasonably soon due technological advances outstripping the hardware capabilities.

The likely impending issues to arise due to old hardware was merely an extra factor as to why I chose that solution as my personal advice to him, I never said it was the cause or in anyway related to the current issue.

Old features aren't going to magically stop working. The only thing that would happen is a lack of software updates. For instance, the iPhone 3G is not capable of running iOS 5.

Suggesting he buy a newer model to fix the issue because it 'may become outdated soon' is ridiculous.

No they won't magically stop, but any number of things could break them as tech continues to develop.

And it may be ridiculous in your opinion, but that was my advice and reasoning simple as that; it certainly solves the problem and provides other benefits and is my personal opinion.

And you yourself gave an example there, the iphone 3G is the 2nd gen; it can't run IOS 5, it is being limited by its hardware already. This in itself shows 2nd gen has hit the cusp at which its functional is going to start going down hill as it lacks the latest updates and services gear themselves to the new better specs these updates offer. Its certainly not quite there yet, but its failure to support the newest update marks a cusp from which there can only really be negative impacts to the device by tech developments; it's "jumped the shark" as they say.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

It's not limited by hardware, it's becaues Apple doesn't want you upgrading to ios5. It's marketing, and it's for 2 reasons. It would run very slow on old hardware, and it's their way of forcing to upgrade and to make more money. That's the way I think of it.

I still don't see a real solution here, and I don't think I can offer a possible solution either, but I can search more for what I see on the internet.