What happened to the censor?

What kind of shit is that to post? :unsure:

But seriously, it has been more relaxed for a while, I guess they just haven't advertised it for obvious reasons. :)

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

Mine quit when the forums were reinstated. I see every instance of shit on this page, lol.

But this suits me just fine. Thank you for not forcing it on us, TIF. :)

It didn't quit - it's fully functional. Certain words, such as "shit", are no longer censored at all.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Mine quit when the forums were reinstated. I see every instance of shit on this page, lol.

But this suits me just fine. Thank you for not forcing it on us, TIF. :)

It didn't quit - it's fully functional. Certain words, such as "shit", are no longer censored at all.

Can we get a list of words that were removed? Just curious is all. I remember we tried to get some words decensored about a year ago and nothing ever happened. What changed?

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

The following words were recently removed from the censor:

dick

prick

retard

shit

I'd like to remind everyone that using any of these words in an insulting or inflammatory way (i.e. "You're such a dick") is still very much against the rules and may result in action taken against your forum account.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I can't see how any of the first three could be used appropriately. The fourth one isn't as bad. :P

Dick and harry pricked the cat's tail with a thorn in order to retard it while chasing the mouse.

An obscure and unlikely sentence, to be sure - but these words do have legitimate uses.

polvCwJ.gif

• 1 month later...

I can't see how any of the first three could be used appropriately. The fourth one isn't as bad. :P

Dick and harry pricked the cat's tail with a thorn in order to retard it while chasing the mouse.

An obscure and unlikely sentence, to be sure - but these words do have legitimate uses.

I remember [bleep] Cheney being a common occurrence back when he was relevant. I support the loosening of the censor, although I do miss [Cabbage].

• 2 weeks later...

"If you prick me, do I not bleed? " - Shakespeare, Merchant of Venus . I included that in multiple posts of mine during my tenure of administration, and was ironically reported for censor evasion for it every time - I can honestly say i've never seen ANYONE use it as an insult to get in trouble for it, but I digress.

I always felt Tip.it's censor's should of lightened up when Jagex's did ages ago - I always thought [Cabbage] and [Wagon] were offensive to our users intelligence and mocking in a way, relics from a time when rules were...harsh at best. and although it's something I was consistently told could never be done - I'm glad to see the administration drop the middle-school dirty words from the filter at last.

anyways, this is a positive change, in my book.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

• 2 months later...

Meh. If Jagex already allows all cuss words to be uncensored, Tipit might as well do the same.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Meh. If Jagex already allows all cuss words to be uncensored, Tipit might as well do the same.

The best case scenario would be to do what Jagex does and allow people to turn of the censor; but that would be a large amount of work from a technical POV unfortunately.

polvCwJ.gif

Yeah if it were easily possible we probably would enable some kind of toggle filter. But in IPB posts get censored BEFORE they get published. So as an example, even though we removed "shit" from the censor, all old posts containing the word "shit" still show up censored. Removing it from the censor doesn't change old posts, since they were already rendered as censored before they were published. I'm not sure the best way to word this, but in contrast, phpBB censors words after they're published, but before they're viewed. So in IPB if I click "edit" on a post that has censored words, I just see the censored word. But in phpBB, viewing the post shows the censored word but if I edit the post I can see what the author originally typed.

In order to even begin to think about changing that we'd have to do some major back-end modifications. Then we'd have to do even more modifications to add in some kind of censor toggle. Complicated stuff, unfortunately.

But I think right now we have a pretty good compromise :) All swear words in RuneScape screenshots are allowed to be posted and we only have the offensive words censored (plus the f-bomb).

(FYI John, that info wasn't directed at you because I know you already know it :P Directing it at any other curious people)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Really? I was always under the impression the PHPBB censor worked the same way as the IPB one....

Learn something new every day I guess :P

EDIT: Although actually that makes sense given phpbb's allowance of per-forum censoring...

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

polvCwJ.gif

Really? I was always under the impression the PHPBB censor worked the same way as the IPB one....

Learn something new every day I guess :P

Srsly :mrgreen: I thought you knew all that and if I didn't include that note at the bottom you'd think I was weird for telling you information that you already knew.

Ah well :P Fun stuff.

Posted Image