The Fireplace

Jehosaphat

Does anybody here have Age of Empires II? I would love to run a tavern game and I think it would be great fun.

You must get gameranger for multiplayer but otherwise the game is fairly simple. I personally think that it is the best of the AOE series. It doesn't have any DRM so is quite fun. Alternatively if you have AOEI and not AOEII I could play AOE, or even AOE III.

qTLQRuS.png

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody here have Age of Empires II? I would love to run a tavern game and I think it would be great fun.

You must get gameranger for multiplayer but otherwise the game is fairly simple. I personally think that it is the best of the AOE series. It doesn't have any DRM so is quite fun. Alternatively if you have AOEI and not AOEII I could play AOE, or even AOE III.

Do you have the expansion?

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Do you have the expansion?

I can get it.

qTLQRuS.png

How about a game where you are in the criminal underworld?

Like there'll be different gangs for you guys to join, and each gang (like mafia, yakuza, stuff like that) will have its own IRC channel. The player would join in at a pretty low rank, but work your way up the families and such, hell I'd even consider creating your own gang if you wanted to and were powerful enough.

Anywho, there'd probably be a bit of pvp, because people in different gangs means they wont always get along. There'd probably be a main driving story and a bunch of sub plots for the players to explore.

Not so sure about the skill system though, the dungeoneering system is kind of okay and very simple, it's just so easy to break, and experience tells me I can't homebrew for shit, I could go for a DnD approach and change some stuff up to make it more compatible with a modern setting (but that's just changing the name of skills, feats and the such).

I think death should work this way; I'm going to go with HP like haven and hearth, you have your 'soft' and 'hard' hp. When your soft hp falls to zero, you fall unconscience and that is you 'dying' for the session, when this happens you take a hit to your hard hp which regenerates very slowly, so if you get beat around a lot, you end up dying permanently, which is when you lose all your hard hp. Upon that death, I'm saying, yeah you're dead forever and that character is gone, but I will allow you to take some of their skills in building a new character.

There will probably be weapons that deal straight hard hp instead of soft hp, but then again that's when I start putting in things that regenerate hard hp instead of soft.

But yeah, that's the general premise of the game.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Seems like a pretty good idea to me. Dungeoneering seems the best of the two, but you could also go for an exponentially growing value, like most non-MMO games. Lvl 2 requires 10, Lvl 3 requires 15, Lvl 4 requires 20, Lvl 5 requires 30, Lvl 6 requires 45, etc.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Not so sure about the skill system though, the dungeoneering system is kind of okay and very simple, it's just so easy to break, and experience tells me I can't homebrew for shit, I could go for a DnD approach and change some stuff up to make it more compatible with a modern setting (but that's just changing the name of skills, feats and the such).

Assuming you mean the General D&D 3/3.5 that the Tavern tends to play you would want to take a look at D20 Modern, which is the 'real world' varient of D&D 3e. (you can find its SRD around the place commonly on sites that also have the 3.5 SRD) Its a decent system overall, but there are far better game systems out there for that type of gameplay but none of them have ever gotten support in the tavern when I tried getting people to play them.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

We are backwards and set in our old ways. :thumbup:

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Ok, my approach would be thus:

(Mostly because playing a series of crime lords requires a system that is massive in scope, or you very quickly assassinate person X, Y and Z and win the game)

The future (2170) is not all that pretty.

Global Warming was never tackled and, as a result, climate change (And man needing more food) has destroyed a large part of the world's ecosystem...and still was starvation, still they have smoke and fire factories belching forth every minute of every day.

Economic ties grew stronger across the world as America shattered into seperate states, the industrialised northwest becoming hegemon on the contient. Gradually, after 2050, there were moves towards a World Government.

The resulting organisation finally looked like it had the ability to cut competition and maybe reverse the economic collapse...But instead it just tried to hold onto everything and soon archologies were springing up around major cities while smoke and fire continued, its production orders spurred by the construction...Greater the Irony.

To pay for these great works the Government cut public spending in all ways, reducing its presence until, eventually, it had less than a dozen police and fire stations serving populations approaching 100 million. Of course society didn't collapse, instead Industrial Giants moved into the power vaccum and dominated certain quarters of the town where their workers lived. The World Government signed laws after the fact to make this legal and retreated to gated communities, small enclaves within each Archology.

And gradually, though the World Senate still exists, each Senator no longer stands for election, but choses his or her replacement. Forges and the Inner Sanctums are well represented, often the chief law enforcement offical or Chairman (Himself usually more concerned with security than profits) is the Senator, each of them running private armies to keep law and order in their own enclave.

Of course they don't run the whole operation themselves, often they have a set of trusted agents, known universally as Lord Quistors, who themselves has a set of trusted agents known simply as Quistors, and below them are the rank and file, the Jusiciars.

This structure, known as the Inquisition, or the Senate (by the charitable) represents the major source of power on Earth.

Conflict between Senators is not unheard of, indeed their have been numerous wars between Archologies, some of which have used atomic weapons. These attacks have been futile against the advanced shields of many of the Archologies, but have spread radiation into the ecosystem, further destroying the planet. Conventional warfare, though, has its downsides as well. Very rarely could an army hope to actually enter another Archology, though a few have changed hands over the years. Instead the prefered course of action is small scale, assassination or otherwise.

The greater threat lies in scum of Archologies though, and the outlanders, semi-mysterious mutants who survive beyond the Archologies.

But what of the unemployed, the poor and the sick? What Giant took care of them? The answer, of course, is everyone else. Beyond the law of the Inner Sanctums, beyond the semi-law of the Forges, there are the vast Hives of Humanity. Here, amongst the scum and the infirm gangs vie for power.

--------------Important bit-----------------

And this is where you find yourself.

Some of you will have come from this land, others will have come from elsewhere, but you are all under the authority of [senator's name here] charged with carrying out his orders.

Character creation:

You choose a Homeland from four options.

You choose a Class from five options.

You spend 400 XP on character development.

You spend a set amount of money (Homeworld Money + Class Money) on additonal equipment.

Homelands

[hide]

Forge

[hide]

Forge worlds are the beating iron heart of the Senate and the sovereign domains of the Corporation that owns it. They are

given over to the demands of vast industrialisation and eternally hungry for new resources to consume. A forge’s wheels never cease to turn and day-in-day-out for decades, the reactors blaze and the foundries thunder, turning out refined materials and high technology to meet the Senate’s unending needs.

A forge world is also far more than the sum of its archologyspanning industrial core; each is blessed with a higher level of technological advancement than the wider world as a whole, and many strange wonders are common currency in their baroque labyrinths of ferrocrete and steel.

Forge's are not environments that reward, let alone tolerate, weakness in body or in mind. To have survived and prospered enough to leave a forge world’s rigid society, your character must possess a great deal of drive, ambition and good fortune, or at the very least be bloody-minded and ruthless enough to have endured. You find yourself in a wider Earth society that is at once familiar and strangely alien to you, where fools baulk in superstition at technology without understanding its spiritual mysteries and purity of essence. Nor do they seem to understand mankind’s survival demands power and, power is knowledge incarnate.

Forge World Skills

Common Lore (Tech) (Int) and Common Lore (Machinery) (Int) are Basic Skills for you.

Forge World Traits

Fit For Purpose

A forge's inhabitant is repeatedly tested, channelled and trained from birth for their chosen station and role in life. Weakness is not tolerated and failure met with painful incentives to do better. Even those who follow a rogue’s path must strive to be better than their peers to survive.

Effect: Increase any chosen characteristic by +3.

Stranger to the Cult

Although forge born citizens know that the Senate is their ultimate master, they see the Declaration of Man through the lens of Corporate doctrine. As a result, they can be surprisingly—and sometimes dangerously—ignorant of the common teachings and practices of the Ecclesiarchy, often failing to offer its clerics the level of deference they expect.

Effect: Forge world characters take a –10 penalty on Tests involving knowledge of the Declaration of Man, and a –5 penalty on Fellowship Tests to interact with members of the Ecclesiarchy in formal settings.

Credo Officinas

Rather than being fully indoctrinated into the Doctine of Man, even the lowliest member of a forge's society is brought up to venerate the spirits of the machine and to know and trust the basic rites of tech-propitiation.

Effect: You gain the Technical Knock talent.

Starting Wounds

Forge world characters start with d5+7 Wounds.

Fate Points

Roll 1d10 to determine your starting Fate Points. On a 1–5, you begin with 1 Fate Point; on a 6–9, you begin with 2 Fate

Points; on a 10, you begin with 3 Fate Points.

[/hide]

Sanctum

[hide]

A bewildering variety of societies are known to the Senate. From hyper-technological democratic societies to drudging medieval feudal law, all to the particular bent of their lord high master, the Senator.

Agri-communes, for instance, are little more than vast farms, producing food for the good of the Senate. Similarly, Geosects produce ore and raw mineral for use in the vast factories of the hives. Cardinal worlds are ruled by the Sacristans and are given over entirely to the mysterious Ecclesiarchy. Stranger still are the garden worlds, which serve as havens for the rich. Paradise,

however, comes at a price, for temptation and heresy may be rife in these places. Some enclaves are utterly remote, having

had no contact with the rest of humanity for any number of reasons. As a result, cultural and societal diversity is to be expected from enclave to enclave, sometimes even within the same Archology.

To have broken away from the dogmatic constraints of Enclave life, your character must either be of exceptional spirit or have

real potential. Perhaps you are an adventurer or soldier, or a true believer beginning a long pilgrimage to prove your faith;

maybe you are a mercenary, brought in to defend a enclave during wartime. You have undoubtedly seen conflict, madness

or perhaps even heresy, and now, for whatever reason, you are embarking into the unknown in the name of the Senate.

Blessed Ignorance

Sanctum citizens know that the proper ways of living are those that are tried and tested by the generations that have gone before. Horror, pain and death are the just rewards of curiosity, for those that look too deeply into the mysteries of the universe are all too likely to find malefic beings looking back at them.

Penalty: Your wise blindness imposes a –5 penalty on Forbidden Lore (Int) Tests.

Hagiography

Meditation upon the lives–and, more importantly, deaths— of the blessed saints grants Sanctum citizens a wide knowledge of the Planet Earth.

Benefit: Sanctum Dwellers treat the Common Lore (Imperial Creed) (Int), Common Lore (Senate) (Int),

and Common Lore (War) (Int) skills as Basic Skills.

Liturgical Familiarity

Surrounded as they are by folk of the faith, Sanctum citizens are accustomed to the preaching of the Ecclesiarchy.

Benefit: Sanctum characters treat Literacy (Int) and Speak Language (High English) (Int) as Basic Skills.

Superior Origins

The sanctum dweller know that their's is the highest form of civilisation that can be attained.

Benefit: Increase your Willpower by +3.

Starting Wounds

Forge world characters start with d5+8 Wounds.

Fate Points

Roll 1d10 to determine your starting Fate Points. On a 1–9, you begin with 2 Fate Point; on a 10, you begin with 3 Fate Points.

[/hide]

Hives

[hide]

Hives are home to countless teeming millions. The population is so dense that frequently the residency blocks reach the Archologies protective dome, and the zones themselves stretch from horizon to horizon. Many hivers labour in thankless obscurity, manning huge factories that churn out endless streams of weapons, chemicals or other vital goods. Others run with violent gangs in the dark of the underhives, living off their wits, guts and firepower.

Hives are vital to the welfare of the economy. They are industrial, producing munitions for the Senate's armies in vast factories, mining valuable minerals and refining fuel for the Imperial skyfleet.

Not all hivers are content to serve their world in the timeless fashion: some dream of better lives, driven by a desire for wealth, freedom, power or adventure, or just the urge to escape bludgeoning poverty. You are one such hiver—a young adventurer, willing to chance all for a taste of wealth, prestige and power. Hivers are resourceful and quick-witted, more likely to rely on gadgets and fast-talking than outright confrontation.

All hive worlders can converse in the common cant of their home, each one unique to their hive of origin. Hive worlders

gain the Speak Language (Hive Dialect) (Int) skill.

Hive Worlder Traits

Hive worlders gain the following Traits. Record all of these on your character sheet:

Accustomed to Crowds

Hivers grow up surrounded by immense herds of humanity. They are used to weaving through even the densest mob with ease.

Benefit: Crowds do not count as Difficult Terrain for hivers, and when Running or Charging through a dense crowd, hivers take no penalty to the Agility Test to keep their feet.

Caves of Steel

To a hiver, surrounded at all times by metal, machinery and industry, the arcane mysteries of technology are not so strange.

Benefit: Hivers treat the Tech-Use (Int) skill as a Basic Skill.

Hivebound

Hivers seldom endure the horrors of the open sky or the indignity of the great outdoors.

Penalty: Hivers take a -10 penalty to all Survival (Int) Tests, and while out of a “proper hab” (e.g. places without manufactured goods, solid ceilings and electrical power) the hiver takes a –5 penalty to all Intelligence Tests.

Wary

Hivers are constantly alert for the first hint of trouble, be it a gang shoot-out, hab riot, or hivequake.

Benefit: All hivers gain a +1 bonus to Initiative rolls.

Starting Wounds

Forge world characters start with d5+8 Wounds.

Fate Points

Roll 1d10 to determine your starting Fate Points. On a 1–5, you begin with 1 Fate Point; on a 6–9, you begin with 2 Fate

Points; on a 10, you begin with 3 Fate Points.

[/hide]

Outlander

[hide]

The Outlands are tough places in which to survive. Whether living in a steaming death-filled jungle or upon the burning sands of a desert, man has reverted to a more primitive existence, living in tribes, gangs or creeds without much care for technology or the soft living ways of the so-called “civilised folk”.

The outlands are a harkback to the most primitive eras of humanity, partly due to the environment and partly because they have long been out of touch with the rest of Humanity. With a technological base that is pre-black powder, even Stone Age in the most backward cases, and the inhabitants have often descended into savagery. When outlanders lies in a war-zone, the Senate's Armies may supplement the natives’ armaments and train them in the use of lasguns, heavy stubbers and the like. Despite a rudimentary knowledge of such weapons, the outlanders have no concept of how to manufacture or maintain them.

Outlander characters are those who have made it off-world and remained sane—for the most part. They are robust, straightforward characters, most usually following the Guardsman career, and they excel at close combat due to their size and strength. However, feral worlders are uncomfortable in any strange situation, and do not react well to psychic phenomena, extremes of technological accomplishment or the polite society of the Senate nobility. They are born to fight and to survive, and they do it well.

All Outlanders can converse in their regional tongue, unique to their area of origin. Outlanders gain the Speak Language (Tribal Dialect) (Int) skill.

Feral Worlder Traits

Iron Stomach

Food is often scarce in the Outland and those born there learn to set aside their revulsion and eat whatever they must to survive.

Benefit: You gain a +10 bonus to Carouse Skill Tests made to resist the effects of ingested toxins, poison or tainted foods. This bonus applies to Tests made to consume unusual or unpleasant meals—rotting meat, corpse starch rations, to name a few—as well as Tests made to resist throwing up.

Primitive

Outlanders have no time for the mysteries of technology or the rubbishy constraints of etiquette and social niceties.

Penalty: You take a –10 penalty on Tech-Use (Int) Tests and a –10 penalty to Fellowship Tests made in formal or civilised surroundings.

Rite of Passage

Life is harsh for a Outlander, and blood spills all too frequently. Whether through surviving a brutal initiation ritual or through tribal teachings, feral worlders are adept at tending bleeding wounds.

Benefit: You may spend a Full Action to make an Intelligence Test to staunch Blood Loss. This is a Full Action. On a success, you manage to stop the bleeding.

Wilderness Savvy

Feral worlders are accustomed to hunting their own food.

Benefit: Navigation (Surface) (Int), Survival (Int) and Tracking (Int) count as Basic Skills for feral worlders.

[/hide]

As some of you may have guessed by this point I am doing a blatent rip of Dark Heresy, and while not exactly neccessary for the players to have a rulebook, it would be helpful.

For character genning it may be an idea to use this: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/dhadvanced.html

If Ico does decide to run the game (Which I hope he does) then please ask him on what is allowed as supplements.

Forge=Forge

Sanctum=Imperial

Outerlander=Feral

Hive=Hive

[/hide]

Class

[hide]

Lawkeepers (See Arbitrator)

[hide]

They ensure that the Enclave’s/Forge's laws are maintained, whilst also acting as executioners for rebels, seditionists and trouble-makers. Lawkeepers do not serve on any local police force, rather they are members of a higher organisation: the Arbites. Lawkeepers are not very strong, and they sometimes lack social graces. When it comes to sheer ability to soak up damage and to track down their prey, however, they are certainly the ones you want on your side.

Starting Skills: Speak Language (Low English) (Int), Literacy (Int), Common Lore (Arbites) (Int), Common Lore (Senate) (Int), Inquiry (Fel).

Starting Talents: Basic Weapons Training (SP), Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), *Quick Draw or Rapid Reload*

Starting Gear: Shotgun and 12 shells, club, brass knuckles, knife, *chain coat or flak vest or mesh vest*, uniform (Good Quality Clothing), 3 doses of stimm, injector, Arbitrator ID, chrono, pack of *lho-sticks or flask of amasec.*

Starting Rank: Trooper

[/hide]

Guardsman

[hide]

Guardsmen are the fighters, killers and warriors of the 22nd Century. Some may be members of a formal army, or even part of the Sky Fleet. Others may be nothing more than mercenaries and thugs. Some may even be convicted criminals, fitted with explosive collars and sentenced to serve in penal legions to pay for their terrible crimes. Needless to say, Guardsmen are neither particularly smart nor sociable. They more than make up for this with their ability to make things die in loud and unpleasant ways.

Starting Skills: Speak Language (Low English) (Int), Drive (Ground Vehicle) (Ag) or Swim (S).

Starting Talents: Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), *Pistol Training (Primitive) or Pistol Training (Las)* Basic Weapons Training (Las), *Basic Weapon Training (Primitive) or Basic Weapons Training (SP)*.

Starting Gear: *Sword or axe or hammer*, *flintlock pistol and 12 shots or las pistol and 1 charge pack*, lasgun and 1 charge pack, *bow and 10 arrows or musket and 12 shots or shotgun and 12 shells*, knife, guard flak armour, *uniform or stealth gear or street clothes (Common QualityClothing)*, 1 week corpse starch rations, *mercenary licence or explosive collar (still attached) or Imperial Infantryman’s Uplifting Primer.*

Starting Rank: Conscript

[/hide]

Mutant (See Scum+1 roll on the minor mutation table.)

[hide]

Mutants are the criminals, outcasts, conmen, gangers, thieves and desperados of the Senate, all of them marked in some way by the less than perfect protection of the Archology which makes them less than employable. They are the flotsam and jetsam of society. For all their dubious origins, they do have numerous skills that are highly useful for secretive, quasi-legal tasks. From picking locks to street, stabbings, forgery and fencing illegal goods, Mutants have what it takes to get dodgy things done. Whilst neither

strong nor particularly tough, Scum are good at social skills, as well as being rather agile. Perfect for getting in and out of trouble.

Starting Skills: Speak Language (Low English) (Int), Blather (Fel), Charm (Fel) or Dodge (Ag), Deceive (Fel), Awareness (Per), Common Lore (Senate) (Int).

Starting Talents: *Ambidextrous or Unremarkable*, Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), Pistol Training (SP), Basic Weapon Training (SP).

Starting Gear: Autogun and 1 clip or shotgun and 12 shells, autopistol and 1 clip, brass knuckles or club, knife, *quilted vest or beast furs*, *street ware or rags or dirty coveralls (Poor Quality Clothing)*.

Special: Roll once on the minor mutation table. (See Book)

Starting Rank: Dreg

[/hide]

X-Man

[hide]

X-Men are individuals, or the children of individuals, who were exposed to a varity of experimental chemicals over the last hundred years. They are, essentially, the surviours who gained supernatural powers. They have many and varied abilities, from reading minds to throwing bolts of bio-electrical energy. These strange powers come with a terrible price however, for each X-Man is a doorway to the hellish dimension of the immaterium, the abode of Daemons, psychic predators and worse. Each X-Man risks his very soul every time he uses his abilities, knowing that the cold edge of a mercy blade is the kindest fate the Daemon-possessed can expect to meet.

Starting Skills: Speak Language (Low English) (Int), Psyniscience (Per), Invocation (WP), *Trade (Merchant) (Fel) or Trade (Soothsayer) (Fel)*, Literacy (Int).

Starting Talents: Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), *Pistol Weapon Training (SP) or Pistol Weapon Training (Las)*, Psy Rating 1.

Starting Gear: *Axe or sword*, staff, *compact stub revolver and 3 bullets or compact las pistol and 1 charge pack*, knife (psykana mercy blade), quilted vest, tatty robe (Poor Quality Clothing), *book of Imperial saints or deck of cards or dice*, Psy-Focus, sanctioning brand.

Special: Roll once on the Sanctioning Side Effects Table (See Book)

Starting Rank: Sanctionite

[/hide]

Engineer (see Tech-Priest)

[hide]

Engineers are the guardians of machine-spirits and the preserver of the traditions of tech. They tend to incredibly arcane machines and learn many mysteries, such as the rites of ignition and the art of maintenance. As they learn of ancient science, they seek out lost technology, and also replace their frail flesh with gleaming steel or chattering circuitry.

Starting Skills: Speak Language (Low English) (Int), Tech-Use (Int), Literacy (Int), Secret Tongue (Tech) (Int), *Trade (Scrimshawer) (Ag) or Trade (Copyist) (Int)*.

Starting Talents: Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), Basic Weapon Training (Las), Pistol Training (Las), Electro Graft Use.

Starting Traits: Mechanicus Implants (See Book).

Starting Gear: Metal staff, las pistol and 1 charge pack, las carbine and 1 charge pack, knife, flak vest, glow lamp, data-slate, Mechanicus robes and vestments (Good Quality Clothing), 1d10 spare parts (power cells, wires, chronometers etc), vial of Sacred Machine Oil.

Starting Rank: Technographer

[/hide]

.[/hide]

Money:

[hide]

Lawkeeper: $50

Guardsman: $70

X-Man: $50

Mutant: $10

Engineer: $150

Outlander: +1d5

Hiver: +3d5

Sanctum: +10d5

Forge: +5d5

[/hide]

XP:

[hide]You start with 400 XP to spend. You level up only once XP is spent. So level 2 requires 1,000 xp spent. If you have spent 950 xp and have 250 xp left over, you would need to spend at least 50 before you could level up and access the level 2 advances.

Consult Book for more details. I have no real problem in providing assistance to people. :thumbup:

[/hide]

Characteristics:

[hide]Roll 9 sets of 2d10 and record the scores you get.

You can then allocate these scores +20+mods, to your 9 characteristics:

You may reroll one, but must keep the new result, even if it is worse.

Weapon Skill (Melee)

Ballistic Skill (Ranged, including lasers and such)

Strength

Toughness (Increases your damage resistance)

Agility

Intelligence

Perception

Willpower

Fellowship

[/hide]

Finally, Death...If you die then you are dead. You will need to roll up a new character and rejoin at the disgression of the Mod...preferably at a point where the story allows your Quistor to send another person to replace your fallen comrade.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Well, that idea would work, though I would personally say for a futuristic underworld criminal game, Shadowrun would work better as the main concept of the game is you play a shadowrunner (A deniable asset working for a large variety of corperations, criminal organizations, and governments to do things that are less than legal) and you could easily fit a more real world setting by cutting out the more magical parts of the game.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Furthermore on this gangster roleplaying game idea;

I'm not sure what settings people would want, I mean the ones mentioned above I am perfectly willing to do, but when I was considering doing this, I was more thinking of 1930-esque gangsters in America.

I am ok with a 2000 (or even 2010) set world, and I am okay with futuristic (so spess).

I'd rather people tell me what they want, because I'm going with the 1930 idea if I don't recieve any input.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

To me...1930s would be difficult at the best of times, and the lack of a concrete system would make it worse.

I mean imagine how the game would work...Say myself, Wyvern and Mather were on...Wyvern goes off to see if he can murder his don to get ahead, I go off to see if I can use my two henchmen to rob a bank, and Mather decides he is gonna off that person who, three sessions ago, wouldn't give him a gun.

Wyvern's needs: Needs a Mafia Don's hideout, complete with guards, as well as any of Wyvern's Henchmen. Also needs some benefit of taking over the Mafia.

My needs: Needs to know where I am, where two Henchmen are, where the Bank Security Guards are, where the money is, how far away are the police, any alarm systems.

Mather's needs: Need to remember who 'that guy that sitched me up' is, where he is, what cars Mather has access to, what guns he has access to, if he has henchmen, where the police are.

Ect.

Thats just for three people, if you have a bunch more people playing MMORPG-style then soon you are overloaded and the game falls apart.

With Space and Dungeoneering people were, more or less, confined to the ship or didn't really have BIG targets to go after so it was ok to make it up as you go along.

If you stick it in the modern day then you either need a system, or you need to keep people together...Or you are stuffed.

Hence why I suggested the future, where if you blow up a building (as the Tavern frequently do) it doesn't end the game...Also why myself and Wyvern suggested systems, rather than ad-hoc gameplay.

Stop with the Hegemony nonsense. It's probably not going to happen, the premise generally wore thin a few attempted games ago.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

It kinda is.

The Tavern simply does not have the will power to play the same game over and over, and doesn't have the creativity to reinvent playstyles.

So innevitably Hegemony isn't viable.

Hegemony being complex was what made it entertaining. If we wanted a Hegemony that didn't require complex thinking and math, we'd all be playing Europa Universalis.

It doesn't require any maths at all....

qTLQRuS.png

Hegemony being complex was what made it entertaining. If we wanted a Hegemony that didn't require complex thinking and math, we'd all be playing Europa Universalis.

If you want EU3 with math then Victoria 2 is definately for you.

If you want EU3 with complex thinking and math then Victoria 2 A House Divided is definately for you.

And then there's the freedom, which you can't find in any videogame.

And this is why you fail at Hegemonies. Math is 75% of the game.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

And then there's the freedom, which you can't find in any videogame.

And this is why you fail at Hegemonies. Math is 75% of the game.

This isn't hegemony though, this is Settlers of Catan which is different.

qTLQRuS.png

Know what? I think I'll be making a Space-like game. The main differences here will be that anything you know for certain(and can explain) how to do, your character can do and you will have to mind your profession if you want not to end up stuck in an awkward and/or vulnerable position.

Research works by either doing a puzzle (if I can come up with one), waiting an amount of time, or by explaining how the technology works without breaking physics/biology.

Military personnel may only research combat equipment.

Engineers may only research transportation and robotics.

Medics may only research pharmaceutics and medical equipment, methods and implants/augmentations.

Scientists may research anything.

Joint research reduces time, especially for situations such as where an Engineer and a Medic cooperate on bionic body-parts. Two of the same class reduces by a quarter, one of the intended class and one Scientist reduces by a third, and two of different related classes or two Scientists reduces by half. Stacks exponentially per person added, not linearly.

Military personnel excel at combat and piloting small vehicles.

Medics excel at first aid and are the only ones capable of surgery.

Engineers excel at constructing and reading sensors.

Scientists excel at programming and communicating with AIs.

The year is 2160, and once, world peace had become a reality, but then in 2134 North Korea set its eyes for the sky. Setting up a deal with China where it gains access to Chinese soil and engineers in exchange for offering future lands, it started a space program with the colonization of Mars in. This spurted a second Space Race; NATO, with the addition of Japan, against North Korea and China, for military power in space. Your vessel, the Icarus is the result of this, it is the first vessel ever created that is intended to be capable of staying spaceborne indefinitely without being locked in orbit. And you are its crew for the maiden flight.

Your goal is to secure Mars for colonization by NATO.

The Icarus is so far only equipped with a single pair of slow-firing railguns, and a few small laser turrets, unsuitable to take care of anything apart from missiles and smaller meteorites. Other than that it houses an AI known as the CIU and its holding bay is fitted with the machinery needed to produce the components for whatever you may need to make yourselves. To get the materials you need however, you will have to mine them, for this the only option you have as of yet are rebreather suits, which can sustain you for up to 24 hours in the vacuum of space before they need recharging, and handheld plasma drills that utilize a combination of vibration and heat to mine through ice and rock.

You also have at your disposal two F-88 Lockheed Martin Starfighters, rocket-fighters capable of holding up to 8 missiles and 2 bombs in the internal bay, they also have mounted, forward-facing machineguns. These are capable of high-speed maneuvering in space, they are VTOL and have parking clamps to enable them to safely remain parked on moving objects.

I'm good for doing this pretty much any day and run it to as late as 01:00 GMT , so if those that are interrested can say when they are free, and any suggestions they may have. I can adjust accordingly.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1