Registry Cleaner

swordb88

CCleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

I find it aggressive, but you might like it.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Don't use registry cleaners, it really does nothing to performance and can cause problems. But CCleaner is pretty solid program to use one in a while, not a daily routine.

Only a [wagon] registry cleaner cause issues. Anything good like CCleaner shouldn't cause any problems AND offers back-up before making changes as a safety net.

And it CAN effect performance and registry clogged up with un-used extensions and broken associations etc. can caused lag on program loading, file reading and boot times; sure not a HUUUUGGGGEEE amount unless its really clogged or an very slow system, but it can still impact.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Sy_Accursed, it's a myth that has been debunked. The only thing cleaning a registry is for, is when you're troubleshooting. Cleaning the registry does not change the performance of your computer.

Sy_Accursed, it's a myth that has been debunked. The only thing cleaning a registry is for, is when you're troubleshooting. Cleaning the registry does not change the performance of your computer.

It can do on older and slower systems, like I said on most systems its not noticeable; but its certainly not a myth.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

In my opinion & experience, unless there's a specific reason you should use a registry cleaner, you don't need to use one. If you feel you must, like Jeremy suggested CCleaner would be fine, but don't go for anything that isn't a trusted brand. They are much more likely to mess up your computer than to actually do anything.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

There is always a danger that a cleaner will remove something that is not required now, but can be later.

A good registry "defragmenter", on the other hand, can repack everything and save space, though to fully defrag registry, you need to use a registry defrag, followed by a file defrag with boot time capability for moving files that are unmovable when active.

It can do on older and slower systems, like I said on most systems its not noticeable; but its certainly not a myth.

I suggest you read this article which does mention the registry cleaning myth.

http://lifehacker.com/5033518/debunking-common-windows-performance-tweaking-myths

It's an old article, but it's still current.

I suggest you read this article which does mention the registry cleaning myth.

http://lifehacker.com/5033518/debunking-common-windows-performance-tweaking-myths

It's an old article, but it's still current.

When you read the context it is saying exactly what I'm saying.

It says they remove a few unused keys that won't help performance when you consider the hundreds and thousands of keys in there.

This means it does alter performance, but, as I said, on any decent system it won't be noticeable as it is only on a minute scale; he is addressing the myth that you need to buy an expensive registry cleaner that runs regularly to improve performance, which is a different issue to whether or not registry being clean does or does not, however minutely, effect performance.

On an older clogged up system it is more likely to have a noticeable impact.

My Mum's computer is archaic and we got it running noticeably faster after a registry clean-up; granted it had like a good decade (give or take) or things being installed, uninstalled, updated, formatted, hardware changes etc. etc. So it was clogged up big time compared to anything a standard registry would be, but still it shows registry cleaning does effect performance

Plv6Dz6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There is always a danger that a cleaner will remove something that is not required now, but can be later.

A good registry "defragmenter", on the other hand, can repack everything and save space, though to fully defrag registry, you need to use a registry defrag, followed by a file defrag with boot time capability for moving files that are unmovable when active.

How can you defrag registry data?

Then what else can you do to speed up your PC's performance?

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

Learn to use the Windows Event Viewer:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/use-windows-7-event-viewer-to-track-down-issues-that-cause-slower-boot-times/3253

Or for XP:

http://www.windows-help-central.com/windows-xp-event-log.html

It will give you more specific information from which you can research your problems.

Registry cleaners are a lot like codec packs - they can sometimes work and other times cause more problems than they solve.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I have used CCleaner on my Computers and I've seen improvements in system speed.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

There are many tips to keep your computer fast:

(general)

- keep it up to date but dont do updates your system cannot handle

- keep your computer clean: When you dont play a game any more. Consider deleting it.

- be aware on what you are doing. don't instal tools that are supposed to make your computer better when you have no idea what they do. Also what they claim they do isnt always based on the truth

- if you are done with a program, mirror, internet session etc close it

- keep your msconfig clean (start >> run >> MSCONFIG >> Booting section) this may speed up your boot

(internet)

- dont visit weird websites

- if things pops up unwanted dont click on it. If it happens a lot, consider cleaning up programms like hitmanpro

- ones again keep your computer clean.. clean up browserhistory, cookies, temp files and stuff like that

- avoid downloading heavy material when you are online gaming, try to pause the download and resume them when you are done gaming

(gaming)

- read the requirments that the game is asking from your hardware before buying and using it. Some games are just insane and way to new for your computer

- playing on high details is cool cause you see more of the game but with lower settings you game will go smoother

rsn changed for a short period of time to: GM Dutch