Kim Jong-il died

Abc1230

Though it may seem that Kim Jong-il's death might be a good thing, it is in fact quite the reverse: his son and successor is not prepared to lead, and the probable power struggle within the party could do lasting damage to Korea (north and south).

It could also lead to a full-scale revolution in NK resulting in democratic rule (although I admit this is unlikely).

I think that we can pretty much rule out something along those lines happening - NK makes Gaddafi's Libya look like a beacon of liberalism, while its propaganda is far, far more effective than any Arab spring country.

Even communist Russia converted to "democracy" eventually; you certainly can't rule out NK. The situation isn't great there, it's entirely possible that public opinion could boil over if KJU comes across as weak or otherwise fails to live up to his father and grandfather's reputations.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Vice Travel's guide to North Korea

Well worth a watch.

The dude was insane although I do find the whole extent of his brainwashing/bullshitting facsinating.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Though it may seem that Kim Jong-il's death might be a good thing, it is in fact quite the reverse: his son and successor is not prepared to lead, and the probable power struggle within the party could do lasting damage to Korea (north and south).

It could also lead to a full-scale revolution in NK resulting in democratic rule (although I admit this is unlikely).

I think that we can pretty much rule out something along those lines happening - NK makes Gaddafi's Libya look like a beacon of liberalism, while its propaganda is far, far more effective than any Arab spring country.

Even communist Russia converted to "democracy" eventually; you certainly can't rule out NK. The situation isn't great there, it's entirely possible that public opinion could boil over if KJU comes across as weak or otherwise fails to live up to his father and grandfather's reputations.

Of course the Kim family dynasty will come to an end eventually, but the idea that it's going to unravel quickly as a result of Kim Jong-il's death is the sort of nonsense that our Foreign Ministers tell us. Perhaps in ten years time after a bitter and factional power struggle in the party, but there's no way that a carefully created propaganda infrastructure is going to collapse in an Arab Spring type way just because of this one man's death.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Of course the Kim family dynasty will come to an end eventually, but the idea that it's going to unravel quickly as a result of Kim Jong-il's death is the sort of nonsense that our Foreign Ministers tell us. Perhaps in ten years time after a bitter and factional power struggle in the party, but there's no way that a carefully created propaganda infrastructure is going to collapse in an Arab Spring type way just because of this one man's death.

And I disagree. History is full of examples of weak heirs to the throne (KJI was a monarch, if not by title) failing to hold together a country that their father did. The situation in NK is already fairly delicate; I don't think it will take much to push the population over the edge.

polvCwJ.gif

Vice Travel's guide to North Korea

Well worth a watch.

The dude was insane although I do find the whole extent of his brainwashing/bullshitting facsinating.

very worth watching :) if u have 50 mins to spare do it

I just wonder how many ppl in north Korea realize they are being brainwashed, and how many underground movements there are working, guess we will not get to know until something dramatic happens.

sad to see a country that would need its work force to fed and contribute to everyone's good, being used for nothing.

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

Dyslexia lvl 99, Youtube:3D RS, My 3D on Tif, My Runetrack, My Tif Profile

And I disagree. History is full of examples of weak heirs to the throne (KJI was a monarch, if not by title) failing to hold together a country that their father did. The situation in NK is already fairly delicate; I don't think it will take much to push the population over the edge.

The situation is only delicate on an international level. Domestically, we do ourselves a disservice by downplaying, as we too often do, the effectiveness of the state propaganda mechanisms in North Korea.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

The situation is only delicate on an international level. Domestically, we do ourselves a disservice by downplaying, as we too often do, the effectiveness of the state propaganda mechanisms in North Korea.

Oh, so widespread famines and an awful economy don't make for a delicate domestic situation?

polvCwJ.gif

Oh, so widespread famines and an awful economy don't make for a delicate domestic situation?

Though the economy is indeed in a dire state, the famine ended in 1998 and the economy has been improving for years; when it was at its worst in the 1990s, there were no signs of unrest at all. Why should there be in better times. Meanwhile, the regime has continued the most thorough indoctrination of a nation and has some 9 million troops at its disposal - as much as we may wish it, we cannot lie to ourselves that the regime is anything other than strong when compared to Gaddafi, Mubarak, Ben Ali, or any other of this year's fallen dictators.

You were right in saying that the fall of the North Korean regime is an eventuality as per the USSR, but in terms of that analogy, then Kim Jong-il's death is comparable to Stalin's, or perhaps Brezhnev's at best - there is still a long way to go.

Though the economy is indeed in a dire state, the famine ended in 1998 and the economy has been improving for years; when it was at its worst in the 1990s, there were no signs of unrest at all. Why should there be in better times. Meanwhile, the regime has continued the most thorough indoctrination of a nation and has some 9 million troops at its disposal - as much as we may wish it, we cannot lie to ourselves that the regime is anything other than strong when compared to Gaddafi, Mubarak, Ben Ali, or any other of this year's fallen dictators.

You were right in saying that the fall of the North Korean regime is an eventuality as per the USSR, but in terms of that analogy, then Kim Jong-il's death is comparable to Stalin's, or perhaps Brezhnev's at best - there is still a long way to go.

9 million? Try 1.2 million. source

I agree that it's stronger than the arab dictatorships, I just don't see it as an impossibility that it could fail. But time will tell.

polvCwJ.gif

I wonder how many 5 year plans he went through...

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

9 million? Try 1.2 million. source

I agree that it's stronger than the arab dictatorships, I just don't see it as an impossibility that it could fail. But time will tell.

Of course the US State Department is going to downplay the size of NK's armed forces. According to the International Institute for Strategic Studies in Britain, the Korean People's Army in 2010 had 1.1 million active personnel and 8.2 million reserve.

But let's not get bogged down in fact throwing. I just wish I could share your optimism over the short term future of North Korea.

^ I provided the source, but had to edit it back in because I accidentally posted prematurely.