Slayer as a combat skill?

Themooingcow666

Summoning isn't Zamorak and prayer isn't Saradomin. All gods have pious followers in war (capable of using piety, in RS terms) and only Zaros is special with his curses. Summoning is used by people of all gods as well - the two summoning shops are run by a Guthixian and a Bandosian respectively. Herblore is primarily associated with Guthix only because of the natural ingredients used in potions and the druids discovering them.

That being said, overloads are a major addition to combat performance. However since they can't be used in the wilderness, adding them to combat level is fairly pointless.

The lore connection is minor though ultimately irrelevant to gameplay mechanics. Just seems cool to attach these three combat support skills with each of the three gods.

On you second point, I'd hoped that the idea of herblore being used in the combat formula would mean that untradeables are then allowed in all PvP situations including the wilderness. After all, the original "complaint" when overloads and extremes were first introduced was that guys got a big combat benefit without a change in the combat level. If Herblore affected the combat level, well, it stands to reason that extremes can once again be allowed in PvP.

For the future of Runescape, it's obvious that more and more of the support skills give players a significant combat advantage. This is either indirectly via quest requirements or even directly such as herblore, dungeoneering, slayer. Later, it stands to reason that untradeable high level weapons and armor miade directly by players will enter the game.

What should happen is removing the entire concept of the combat formula. It's never been about your base stats. More and more, it's about both the stats and the weapons, armor, food, potions, spells and scrolls. It'll only get worse. Just base combat levels on stats and inventory with minor checks and balances with concern of finding or dropping items. Even better, add a 3 second time delay in combat when switching out armor and weapons.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Summoning isn't Zamorak and prayer isn't Saradomin. All gods have pious followers in war (capable of using piety, in RS terms) and only Zaros is special with his curses. Summoning is used by people of all gods as well - the two summoning shops are run by a Guthixian and a Bandosian respectively. Herblore is primarily associated with Guthix only because of the natural ingredients used in potions and the druids discovering them.

That being said, overloads are a major addition to combat performance. However since they can't be used in the wilderness, adding them to combat level is fairly pointless.

The lore connection is minor though ultimately irrelevant to gameplay mechanics. Just seems cool to attach these three combat support skills with each of the three gods.

On you second point, I'd hoped that the idea of herblore being used in the combat formula would mean that untradeables are then allowed in all PvP situations including the wilderness. After all, the original "complaint" when overloads and extremes were first introduced was that guys got a big combat benefit without a change in the combat level. If Herblore affected the combat level, well, it stands to reason that extremes can once again be allowed in PvP.

For the future of Runescape, it's obvious that more and more of the support skills give players a significant combat advantage. This is either indirectly via quest requirements or even directly such as herblore, dungeoneering, slayer. Later, it stands to reason that untradeable high level weapons and armor miade directly by players will enter the game.

What should happen is removing the entire concept of the combat formula. It's never been about your base stats. More and more, it's about both the stats and the weapons, armor, food, potions, spells and scrolls. It'll only get worse. Just base combat levels on stats and inventory with minor checks and balances with concern of finding or dropping items. Even better, add a 3 second time delay in combat when switching out armor and weapons.

At the current hitpoints/armour/weapons. Extremes and overloads will never see the wilderness. With extreme strength you can claw over 930 on another player in one spec. Not to mention the super accurate 530s with whip. And over 1100 with dharoks. And over 1000 with DDS. (Serious lol. Look it up.)

Your formula idea is rediculous. That would basically equate to a level 90, risking his entire bank fighting a level 138 risking a dragon dagger. And the 138 would win every time. Easily. I don't care how many times you use the word balance, it's really impossible to do, and the whole idea punishes people for using good weapons and armour.

"3 second delay in combat when switching out armor and weapons." Oh. I get it now. You've never pk'd before in your life. Not only would that be exploited to hell "He's about to deal finishing blow. *Take off armour*" people tend to use multiple armour set ups to pk. I'm not even talking about the hybrids that obviously do, even when you change your whip to DDS this timer would ruin the fight and give the opponent time to eat 600hp worth of food.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Which suggests that the problem lie with the ability of OHKO of melee special weapons, or precisely, how our characters fails to survive that kind of damage. Sure, Luck will be a factor in any kind of PvP, but as it stands, Luck doesn't help you kill the other person, it simply kills the other person regardless of whether they are full health or not.

Currently I think our survival ability in RS PvP is far too low, with the problem lying in that our LP values are WAY too low for our own damage output, or else Defence plays far too small of a factor in the calculation, and hence the point of Pures (or arguably the lack there of) being made in the first place.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

At the current hitpoints/armour/weapons. Extremes and overloads will never see the wilderness. With extreme strength you can claw over 930 on another player in one spec. Not to mention the super accurate 530s with whip. And over 1100 with dharoks. And over 1000 with DDS. (Serious lol. Look it up.)

Your formula idea is rediculous. That would basically equate to a level 90, risking his entire bank fighting a level 138 risking a dragon dagger. And the 138 would win every time. Easily. I don't care how many times you use the word balance, it's really impossible to do, and the whole idea punishes people for using good weapons and armour.

"3 second delay in combat when switching out armor and weapons." Oh. I get it now. You've never pk'd before in your life. Not only would that be exploited to hell "He's about to deal finishing blow. *Take off armour*" people tend to use multiple armour set ups to pk. I'm not even talking about the hybrids that obviously do, even when you change your whip to DDS this timer would ruin the fight and give the opponent time to eat 600hp worth of food.

Sorry, but overloads and extremes did see the wilderness on initial release so your theory falls apart there. If you meant "never again" then that can be argued, but I offered a counter. Even your complaints about max hits (more about a luck shot than tactics, but whatever) will lose strength with the implementation of life point boosting armor.

As for your counter to people's combat stats and bonuses: A level 138 with only a dragon dagger versus a level 90 with I assume 70 tier armor and weapons (Vharrok and whip?). I don't think the 138 has a shot expecially if food is involved (less so if summoning can be used). Still, seems like an easy test to try out. Say 10 battles with 15 sharks and 4 dose prayer pot per battle.

Not sure how you're responding to the idea of having a delay when equipping items during combat. I'm assuming you misread, given your contradictory example making it sound like combat between both players is delayed. A time delay is meant to discourage hybriding meaning you want to fight with what you're wearing. If it takes 3 seconds to remove a whip then another 3 second to arm a crossbow, you're likely just going to stick with a whip or run away. Now, if it's that you like the tactic of rapidly switching weapons and armor, then that's a different issue. I find it counter to the spirit of the combat triangle and not realistic to boot. Seriously, try something simple like jogging and changing shirts then multiply that difficulty with leather chaps and metal platelegs.

No real reason about bringing up time delays by the way. Just seemed like something that'll balance combat.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy

I would like to be able to use & see extremes in the wilderness. But perhaps more like summoning, e.g. it shows up but doesn't affected combat level. Something simple like "+ [potion icon] " behind your combat level if you're carrying an extreme pot, overload or spec recover.

To balance the KO power of weapons and high dps of cheap things like Korasi's and whips I'd suggest soak/damage reduction in some form (increasing current soak values by 50% (except on gano)), along with lp boosts on more armour and maybe constitution potions (incl. extreme variants of course).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Sorry, but overloads and extremes did see the wilderness on initial release so your theory falls apart there. If you meant "never again" then that can be argued, but I offered a counter. Even your complaints about max hits (more about a luck shot than tactics, but whatever) will lose strength with the implementation of life point boosting armor.

As for your counter to people's combat stats and bonuses: A level 138 with only a dragon dagger versus a level 90 with I assume 70 tier armor and weapons (Vharrok and whip?). I don't think the 138 has a shot expecially if food is involved (less so if summoning can be used). Still, seems like an easy test to try out. Say 10 battles with 15 sharks and 4 dose prayer pot per battle.

Not sure how you're responding to the idea of having a delay when equipping items during combat. I'm assuming you misread, given your contradictory example making it sound like combat between both players is delayed. A time delay is meant to discourage hybriding meaning you want to fight with what you're wearing. If it takes 3 seconds to remove a whip then another 3 second to arm a crossbow, you're likely just going to stick with a whip or run away. Now, if it's that you like the tactic of rapidly switching weapons and armor, then that's a different issue. I find it counter to the spirit of the combat triangle and not realistic to boot. Seriously, try something simple like jogging and changing shirts then multiply that difficulty with leather chaps and metal platelegs.

No real reason about bringing up time delays by the way. Just seemed like something that'll balance combat.

Admittedly, I kinda skimmed your post, but I did notice the bolded paragraph. I'd like to point out that it'd be unnecessary to test this, since it can be calculated fairly easily. I'd be more than happy to do it if there was enough interest.

Admittedly, I kinda skimmed your post, but I did notice the bolded paragraph. I'd like to point out that it'd be unnecessary to test this, since it can be calculated fairly easily. I'd be more than happy to do it if there was enough interest.

I'd be interested. So I assume this is dealing with calculated damage per second? Is it known now how atk and str bonuses react against def bonuses?

nukemarine.png