Best Anti-Virus Software

Buy anti-virus? To be honest, a lot of professionals don't even recommend anti-virus software (according to my dad who works with CEs). You might be interested in downloading Microsoft Security Essentials (free) which has pretty good ratings. There is also free versions of AVG which I heard wasn't too shabby either. Just don't spend some ridiculous amount on software that you don't need.

The beauty of Microsoft Security Essentials is it's purpose. It's intended to be all you really need in addition to a firewall (which comes with Windows anyway), and it's not intended to be profitable, so the free version is the equivalent of pretty much anyone else's paid version (and apparently a higher quality than many of those). I figure the only reason it doesn't actually come with windows are agreements the PC distributors have in place already, where they get to bundle in a trial version of someone else's program (ie every store bought computer comes with a trial of Norton). Microsoft once you to use it so that your computer doesn't break from infections, which stops you from calling them and complaining about it.

Buy anti-virus? To be honest, a lot of professionals don't even recommend anti-virus software (according to my dad who works with CEs). You might be interested in downloading Microsoft Security Essentials (free) which has pretty good ratings. There is also free versions of AVG which I heard wasn't too shabby either. Just don't spend some ridiculous amount on software that you don't need.

AVG is currently one of the worst antiviruses out there, even worse than Norton (which has actually improved in the last years, but I still don't recommend it). If your dad works with professionnals, of course they're not going to recommend any AV software, they work with computers and know which websites and what kind of programs not to go near. Most people still recommend AV software for average users, because most of the time these are the users that will click any links and ads out there and get viruses. Offering computer repair services myself, I see a lot of people getting viruses on their computers despite the fact that they have AV software, and they don't read the messages that pops up by the Antiviruses either (which is probably the reason why newer versions block the websites without giving the choices).

Microsoft Security Essentials (free), Avast (free) and Kaspersky are pretty good antiviruses.

AVG is currently one of the worst antiviruses out there, even worse than Norton (which has actually improved in the last years, but I still don't recommend it). If your dad works with professionnals, of course they're not going to recommend any AV software, they work with computers and know which websites and what kind of programs not to go near. Most people still recommend AV software for average users, because most of the time these are the users that will click any links and ads out there and get viruses. Offering computer repair services myself, I see a lot of people getting viruses on their computers despite the fact that they have AV software, and they don't read the messages that pops up by the Antiviruses either (which is probably the reason why newer versions block the websites without giving the choices).

Microsoft Security Essentials (free), Avast (free) and Kaspersky are pretty good antiviruses.

Last time I looked at ratings, AVG wasn't bad. :? But that has been a little while...

Buy anti-virus? To be honest, a lot of professionals don't even recommend anti-virus software (according to my dad who works with CEs).

These professionals are also assuming you have a fairly decent knowledge of what malware is and how it manifests itself.

There was also a thread on this back in May

Personally I use F-Secure. I've used Kaspersky in the past but Eugene Kaspersky has been a bit of a PR [bleep] lately with all the stuff about Flame and Find & Call. I find Mikko at F-Secure knows his stuff a lot better and I put trust in the company he works for. It also protects from a lot of RAT (keylogger) variants.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12