my computer is being fickle.

Low Levelled

It can hardly run rs anymore, and my fps is down to 4. I'm not too computer savvy, but I've tried to look around, but none of the suggestions have helped. I've defragged, and uninstalled a lot of programs that I don't use. I do know that it isn't the internet, because I've had multiple friends over, and their computers still work great.

Oh, and i get in the best ping worlds as possible, and run my settings on minimum.

I don't want to buy a new computer, but I will if it is my last resort.

Any ideas guys?

[bleep]ing kick it!

Now that that is out of the way....

I assume you aren't running safe mode.

What kind of specs do you have?

Have you increased the Java memory allocation?

Tried deleting all the temp files from Jagex?

When I get on my lunch break, I'll find some of the good H&A topics from a few months ago and link you to them.

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

[bleep]ing kick it!

Now that that is out of the way....

I assume you aren't running safe mode.

What kind of specs do you have?

Have you increased the Java memory allocation?

Tried deleting all the temp files from Jagex?

When I get on my lunch break, I'll find some of the good H&A topics from a few months ago and link you to them.

Ok bear with me. I definitely have not increased the file allocation, or deleted the temp files. I don't know how to either of those. But I'm pretty sure I'm not on safe mode, I'll have to check. Also, I don't know what specs are :/

I have a 2008 middle of the road HP laptop. Nothing special, but nothing too cheap either.

I'm assuming you are running Windows, so hold the windows key + r and type in 'dxdiag'

A dialogue box about digitally signing may popup, you can hit no. For the video card, you'll need to switch tabs at the top to 'display'

The easiest would be to take a few screenshots.

Looks something like this:

An4KaO.png

2435/2475

Well you can either take a screenshot, or tell us your OS, processor, memory, DirectX version, video card information.

On my lunch break, so I'm searching for those threads.

Try this. It has some good all around tips in there. Sadly that RSOF thread no longer exists, but I think it deals with allocating more memory to Java, which is pretty straightforward. I put a screenshot in there.

2435/2475

OS windows Vista 6.0

Processor Intel core 2 duo CPU t5800

Memory 4058MB RAM

DirectX 10

Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset family

Intel corp

Internal

1759 MB

1280 x 800 (32bit) (60hz)

Generic pnp monitor

Okay, unless Jagex just hates that particular configuration, that is definitely plenty to run RS.

I'd first try allocating more memory to Java then. This seems like a pretty good guide.

-Xincgc turns off garbage collecting (I think)

-Xmxn (where n is your number) sets the maximum amount of memory that can be used. Needs to be a multiple of 1024, so I would try n=1024M first. If that doesn't work, double it to 2048M

It's case sensitive so type in

-Xincgc -Xmx1024M

exactly like that.

2435/2475

This isn't the prettiest way to do it and it takes a few minutes but hit Win+R then type in 'javaws -viewer'

That will pull up the control panel. You can ignore the other window that it pulls up. Go to the 'Java' tab and follow the rest of the guide from there.

2435/2475

Low, I just checked the listing at Wikipedia of Intel Core 2 processors as to how fast each core on your notebook is. Due to the fact that Jagex isn't (at least, as I've heard) taking much advantage of multi-processor computers yet, it effectively means that at 2.0 GHz per core, you're running RS on what would be considered a slow system these days. I'm running a single-core Intel P4 2.4 GHz here, and even it isn't enough as I barely hold onto ~15 FPS max in most areas. :(

Verdict -- Get a new system, and make sure the per-core speed is at least 3.2 GHz, preferably with a minimum of 4 cores if possible, less if you can't avoid it for the additional speed. BTW, RS + Intel Graphics = Doesn't work well, even in DirectX mode. Make sure your next choice of graphics is NVidia, as they have the best luck with RS. Having to run with an ATI Radeon HD 4650 AGP here, and it ain't funny business. I had far better days before it on an NVidia GeForce 7300 GT here. :huh:

~D. V. "I've learned the hard way how much speed everyone expects others to have..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

• 3 weeks later...

Devnull is right. Your CPU's per clock speed is low for RS. MMOs are almost entirely CPU-dependent. That is not to say you should neglect the GPU. I recommend an i5-2310M with atleast a Geforce 9400GT.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

Rs runs fine on my i3 2.1ghz cpu. Its the igpu thats holding him back.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.