RS and Bandwith

Lacoste

Hey so as of recent my internet bandwith has kept going up and up and my brother thinks that it's rs. Does running runescape take more bandwith then before? I'd like to think that it's the videos that is taking up most of it. I tried reading the displayfps option but those kind of things don't really make sense to me.

Any help or suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Are you playing RS more than before? Are you watching videos more than before?

Honestly I wouldn't know without that because so far as I'm aware I have unlimited bandwith from my ISP. Although watching more videos/downloading more things could be it as videos that a lot to download (40mb) for a small one.

Rs uses very little bandwidth; hours of gameplay are a few kb at most.

Streaming videos takes a shit ton of bandwidth. Streaming a video you basically have to download the same data as when you download a video file to watch later. In standard definition the average 30min video is usually around 150mb (newer formats are bringing this down but its still a good benchmark to be aware of). If you are streaming you are still downloading close to the same amount of data.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Streaming in HD is even more bandwidth than that.

Yeah, stay far away from the HD settings if your on a data budget. 720 is 3x the size of 480, and 1080 is 6.75x the size (screen area). Why a DVD holds nearly 5GB of data, while a blue ray disc holds 25 or 50GB.

If you go into the developers console by hitting the button to the left of the "1" key and type "displayfps", you can see the amount of data you are sending and receiving in bytes per second. You can add these together and that will tell you your current bandwidth usage. There are 1,048,576 bytes in a megabyte or 1,073,741,824 bytes in a gigabyte.

The more actions going on in game or areas with many people tend to require more bandwidth. On average you will use about 200 bytes per second. In popular areas, you can use upwards of 1500 bytes per second. At peak rates, it would take you 11 minutes, 6.667 seconds to use 1MB of data or 7 Days, 17 hours, 11 minutes, 6.667 seconds to use 1GB of data. Those time values mean you are sitting there during the whole duration. If you play a few hours a day, you would easily last a month with 1GB of data.

Now based on updates of the month, you could use more data if there is a major patch. For example, EOC involves many new textures, models, and animations which use up bandwidth when you download them. It might use another 20MB of data or so.

With the way programming works, after a model is downloaded once, there is no need to download it again. The server tells the game what models to use and it pulls that data from your downloaded files you already have.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

It's a bit misleading to say that you could use 1GB data in 7days because thats assuming someone plays 24/7. It's almost 188 hours of play for that amount of data and at even 6 hours of play a day you would'nt go over 1GB in a month (if most the stuff was in your cache at least).

Saying that though, I play RuneScape with my partner so ever hour of play is twice the data so if more people are playing the faster the data bandwidth is used.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It's a bit misleading to say that you could use 1GB data in 7days because thats assuming someone plays 24/7. It's almost 188 hours of play for that amount of data and at even 6 hours of play a day you would'nt go over 1GB in a month (if most the stuff was in your cache at least).

Saying that though, I play RuneScape with my partner so ever hour of play is twice the data so if more people are playing the faster the data bandwidth is used.

That's what he said

Those time values mean you are sitting there during the whole duration. If you play a few hours a day, you would easily last a month with 1GB of data.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]