Munpies first pixel sig

Munpie

Yes i realize that I'm going against the advice of the stickied thread here but, even though its not the greatest, I have put alot of work into my first pixel sig and would love to hear advice as I'm not sure how to go about doing some things.

So here it is:

light3wip8wj.png

What I'm having problems with is the terrain, I am not sure how to make it more... earthy looking. Any one have any advice?

Also I am not sure I've done the water puddle right. Does it have to many highlights? Or is it just me. How am I to go about fixing that too?

I've still got to go through and fix the ground shadows and such for the stalagmites and the character to make them blend together better.

Comments and Criticism are welcome. Rate on a scale of 1-10 if you wish so.

Update for the first page :wink: :

light10wip9gf.png

Yes i realize that I'm going against the advice of the stickied thread here but, even though its not the greatest, I have put alot of work into my first pixel sig and would love to hear advice as I'm not sure how to go about doing some things.

So here it is:

light3wip8wj.png

What I'm having problems with is the terrain, I am not sure how to make it more... earthy looking. Any one have any advice?

Also I am not sure I've done the water puddle right. Does it have to many highlights? Or is it just me. How am I to go about fixing that too?

I've still got to go through and fix the ground shadows and such for the stalagmites and the character to make them blend together better.

very very nice

my advice to you to make your earth grittier is to add more shading and darkness into the surroundings.. make it very very rough if u know what i mean

So here it is:

light3wip8wj.png

Yes, keep it as is. Looks wonderfull.

Make the water less blue and more clear. Make it sortove a brownish color and have it go from light to dark quickly so it looks round.

Very nice, we have yet another pixeler on our hands.

girlsigfi1.png

axeraider70.deviantART.com

Make the water less blue and more clear. Make it sortove a brownish color and have it go from light to dark quickly so it looks round.

I couldnt resist changing the terrain. There was too much of a contrast between it and the character. Hopefully it's still good?

Also I found the water effect you perscribed is much more pleasing, thank you. But which puddle is better?

light5wip0th.png

I think this one stands out more

light6wip4qn.png

Has more of a depth feel

Or did i miss the effect you were thinking of? Either way I am glad for your help.

Wow, I must say, for your first, you are VERY much ahead of a lot of people.

The fact that you took it upon yourself to actually shade on your first try is beyond me.

And on top of that, the shading ISN'T half bad. It's actually a very cool sig.

Despite braking the forum rules :D and posting your first sig, I applaud you. It looks great. Keep working! You have a LOT of potential.

panoramiadk9.gif

you need some scary eyes at the back and maybe a creatures head in the bottom left, hiding and lookin real scary.. :wink: maybe a dragon so you can have a tail or something sticking out.. to give the impression he's alone in a dark scary place, surrounded by dragons ro something.

very good so far.

vistame09copyhr8.png

Wow, first I must say thank you for all the compliments :) .

Very nice, i like this sig quite alot very orignal different idea! the only advice i could give is to give the guy a face!! and his hair ... how does it go from red to brown or visa/versa

Yea, I have a problem making people. I was saving the head to work on last, since it's the only part of the person showing, and because I have no clue how to get the eyes right or face right. Hopefully I'll figure something out.

you need some scary eyes at the back and maybe a creatures head in the bottom left, hiding and lookin real scary.. Wink maybe a dragon so you can have a tail or something sticking out.. to give the impression he's alone in a dark scary place, surrounded by dragons ro something.

I thought of doing that before, but I was not sure I wanted it to appear scary. I was going for a more alone feeling, but your idea does sound interesting. Maybe I shall give it a shot.

I couldnt resist changing the terrain. There was too much of a contrast between it and the character. Hopefully it's still good?

Also I found the water effect you perscribed is much more pleasing, thank you. But which puddle is better?

light5wip0th.png

I think this one stands out more

light6wip4qn.png

Has more of a depth feel

Or did i miss the effect you were thinking of? Either way I am glad for your help.

Excellent job my young padawan. Now a face is needed to make this piece whole.

girlsigfi1.png

Well.. after finishing one face, disliking it, starting from scratch on face again with new colors I believe I liked the blank face better :?

light8wip9fh.png

To me it just looks like.. a monkey face. Oh the frustration. Maybe my being sick while trying to prepare for the ACTs has something to do with it... Anyone have any advice on how to make it more.. human like? Possibly im still using the wrong colors?

Good enough, i can tell your a perfectionist. Thats good, i encourage it. Id say your ready to finish up the sig with a border and some text. But thats your decision.

EDIT: AHH! i just noticed. The fire, its icky. Make it taller, more wavy/[bleep]ey and free. The light glowing around it should be bigger too.

girlsigfi1.png

Tada:

lightfinal20xj.png

Couldn't get the face to go the way I wanted it but at least it's more bearable to look at.

EDIT: AHH! i just noticed. The fire, its icky. Make it taller, more wavy/[bleep]ey and free. The light glowing around it should be bigger too.

Yea i suppose the fire does look a bit... dead. Not very lifelike. I will work on it a bit more to see if I can fix it.

Any more comments and or criticism?

I'm still concerned over his face, so I was wondering what you people think about it. Is it fine? Or is there something I can do to fix it?

~Many thanks

Tada:

lightfinal20xj.png

Couldn't get the face to go the way I wanted it but at least it's more bearable to look at.

Yea i suppose the fire does look a bit... dead. Not very lifelike. I will work on it a bit more to see if I can fix it.

Any more comments and or criticism?

I'm still concerned over his face, so I was wondering what you people think about it. Is it fine? Or is there something I can do to fix it?

~Many thanks

Sorry but i just love this piece, so i must crit on it to make it MORE LOVEABLE! lol.

anyway, make the white lines at maximum 2 px away from the edges. If you didnt save a copy without the border then SHAME ON YOU. but you can just copy and paste from earlier posts in this thread so no worrys, make the stats closer together (1 px apart) in the bottom lefthand corner

The name and face are fine as is but the bright spot on his jackt fight by th flame needs to have more colors fading to dark toward the bottom and those little [bleep]es that protrude from it (towards his torso and lower. Make it likeyou did near his arm.

Either that or youd have to make the robe lighter. Dont worry about his face, it looks fine and if you try to fix it i afraid that you might mess it up. But experiment and you might pull off a better one.

Thanks! let me know if im getting annoying lol.

girlsigfi1.png

Sorry but i just love this piece, so i must crit on it to make it MORE LOVEABLE! lol.

anyway, make the white lines at maximum 2 px away from the edges. If you didnt save a copy without the border then SHAME ON YOU. but you can just copy and paste from earlier posts in this thread so no worrys, make the stats closer together (1 px apart) in the bottom lefthand corner

I fixed the borders and text (see below). Still have yet to work on flames (forgot to upload so I could work on it at school).

The name and face are fine as is but the bright spot on his jackt fight by th flame needs to have more colors fading to dark toward the bottom and those little [bleep]es that protrude from it (towards his torso and lower. Make it likeyou did near his arm.

Either that or youd have to make the robe lighter. Dont worry about his face, it looks fine and if you try to fix it i afraid that you might mess it up. But experiment and you might pull off a better one.

lightfinal3question1aj.png

So are you saying darken the red spot I have circled? Or did I misinterperet? And do you mean his left arm?

Thanks! let me know if im getting annoying lol.

Definantly not, I love getting feedback so I can make my pixel pleasant to look at. Plus it helps me alot, learning from my mistakes :wink:

PS- Makes me blush that someones so interested in my work :oops:

Alright bro, glad you like the CC! Glad to help artists in the making.

Yes the circled area is what i was takling about. You may disagree but it was bugging me. See that kind of corner on the bottom left of the bright area, it goes from light to dark a little quickly. Maybe dither it a little bit with a shade or two to make it flow more.

Good job on the border, its one pixel off the bottom but its painful for me to scold you on that lol. Anyway its just a little thing that you can always fix later, right now lets focus on the shading then we can move on to the flame.

girlsigfi1.png

Updated:

light10wip9gf.png

Ok so I now have some pretty lively lookin flames.

I am not sure if i made the fade effect good on that one bright spot though. I could altogether make it darker and try to ease up the brightness level on it if it still looks like too much of a contrast. (edit: I mean on the robe)

Anymore comments and criticism would be greatly appreciated :wink: