autotyping

timmmmm83

Since there is no GE, not only the hosts of flowergames benefit from autotyping and it seems like everyone and their mom uses an autotyper in the crowded merchspots.

So what is the deal about it?

Is it allowed?

Is it tolerated?

Is it forbidden?

If it is the last, which I stil assume, why is no action taken against autotypers?

Edited by Kaida23

Not allowed, but I don't think Jagex really care too much - Especially the current management who appear far more tolerant of legacy rules.

Your call, could potentially earn you an infraction but the most likely punishment would probably be a mute from a pmod selling competing goods lol.

No action taken because it is hard to enforce. The whole thing is rather silly really and the issue would quickly be rendered obsolete if jamflex just introduced a copy paste function.

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

Autotypers are not allowed under the Rules of RuneScape, and as such are not allowed to be asked for here.

Anyone admitting to using, or encouraging the use of, autotypers (or anything else that is against the RS rules) will be warned and possibly receive a temporary ban under forum rule 1.1.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

It falls under the macroing rule.

The reason it doesn't seem to be enforced is because USUALLY, it's not used in a way that most people care about...or people would rather report the Auto-typer under a different rule

For example...the bots that are advertising Gold Selling websites...clearly they're using Auto-Typers, they write whole phrases in less than a second and spam the entire chat.

Most people report them for Website Advertising though, rather than for botting.

People usually won't report people using them for Selling/Buying items because...well...they're just selling/buying items, not really bothersome to anyone (unless they're not in world 1,2 or 5, and are in some random bank, than it's annoying Bot or not when someone just sits there spamming a sell and buy message)

I personally find it useless for Jagex to even classify Auto-Typers as Macroing, and instead should take action against those using it to spam, under the spamming rule (which in the 07 servers is reported under Offensive Language) Since that's the only time it hurts other players, when it's being used in a spam-like fashion.

An old player from 2004-2011. I'm back for the 2007 servers, let's see how long this lasts.

My account's display name used to be Sir Izenhime

signature_zpse31b54ec.png

vinyl_djpon3.png

Stupid Should Hurt

People usually won't report people using them for Selling/Buying items because...well...they're just selling/buying items, not really bothersome to anyone (unless they're not in world 1,2 or 5, and are in some random bank, than it's annoying Bot or not when someone just sits there spamming a sell and buy message)

This is annoying as hell though when you are selling something in a popular world.

For instance: I'm selling under the price of the guy autotyping next to me, but that person gets the trades since he spams his message flawless 4x as fast as I am AND he keeps spamming his message even while in tradescreen. This without effort while my fingers are +- numb after 15 minutes.

If they are not enforcing the rule, I find it very hypocrit that they're not allowing it.

BTW: if this post is in any way not allowed here, feel free to change it. (I would appreciate it, if you would let me know what is not allowed about it then. Thanks = )

Edited by Kaida23

Discussing autotypers/macros/any other type of bot is okay, as is debating how their use does or does not disrupt the game in general or even if the rule against them is fair.

That said, the fact remains that they are against the rules so admitting to their use, encouraging their use, or asking for help in finding one is not allowed.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

The irresponsible J-mod that posted that autotyping "could be okay" is most likely the reason it is so widespread and at the absurd level it is right now.

Let's assume people are using autotyper programs instead of key macros(RS is far from a complex game, I would not expect the majority to have gaming keyboards), this means that thousands of people have gone to botting forums in order to get the software needed.

What does this mean? It means that a large amount of players who have sought a program to make their lives easier, now have a source for programs that can make their lives easier. One form of macroing can't be worse than another, right? Right? Not all people will jump from autotypers to full blown goldfarming bots, but I'm sure a number will consider it.

Jagex has never been ontop of the botting situation, they've even gone years without any noticeable action, surely they can get away with it on the 07 servers where there is a small team managing it, right?

Point is, when you open that door, it stays open.

Autotypers are a gateway bot. :D

Think about it though, you'll find them in the same shady areas the proper bots are. Hell, you can technically use them to speed your gameplay up. (Click cook x and have the macro type 28+enter) So i feel they should not be allowed at all.

I agree a copy/paste system or a "personal quick chat" should be implemented.

CNqWHdA.jpg

I'm fine with them, to a point.

If you are in a crowded trading area, you are at a disadvantage for not using an auto typer.

But if you are in an empty bank and are spamming the chat box, you need banned.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

It wouldn't be as big of an issue I think for some people if the people using them didn't set it to say Long messages, with the shake function, flash, and set at less than 1 second intervals

Why people even set it that high I never understand...it makes it physically hard to even read their text because it's shaking everywhere.

An old player from 2004-2011. I'm back for the 2007 servers, let's see how long this lasts.

My account's display name used to be Sir Izenhime

signature_zpse31b54ec.png

vinyl_djpon3.png

Stupid Should Hurt

Why people even set it that high I never understand...it makes it physically hard to even read their text because it's shaking everywhere.

I guess: the more you stand out in a crowd, the more your message comes through.

Stood in w1 for 2 hours tonight selling camelot tabs for 1100 each, with an autotyper standing next to me for 1500 each. His text shaking, red and always visible while mine faded after a second. By the position he was in I assume he had around 3 times as much trades compared to me. Two times he traded me, just to stall me in trade screen while he kept autotyping. Raking in the trade requests when he got out of trade screen with me.