D Long vs D Scim

Mon

How much faster is the scim that the majoirty of players prefer it over the longsword? I did use the scim back in actual '07 but I never really compared the two. Started playing again and was wonder if the slightly faster speed was worth using a weaker/ less accurate weapon.

Also if the scim is actually better for training strength would it be better to use the longsword to train attack until 70?

The scim's just a better weapon because of its speed.

In most cases the difference in accuracy (4 points?) is very negligible, since you'd be training on monsters with low defences in the first place.

The additional strength bonus the longsword gets (I think 8 points) doesn't make up for the speed difference between them (scim is 25% faster), and additional strength bonuses from other equipment such as defenders/gloves would as such benefit the scimitar more than the longsword.

All in all there's very little point in using the longsword as a training weapon, or at all.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

The scim's just a better weapon because of its speed.

In most cases the difference in accuracy (4 points?) is very negligible, since you'd be training on monsters with low defences in the first place.

The additional strength bonus the longsword gets (I think 8 points) doesn't make up for the speed difference between them (scim is 25% faster), and additional strength bonuses from other equipment such as defenders/gloves would as such benefit the scimitar more than the longsword.

All in all there's very little point in using the longsword as a training weapon, or at all.

d long has better spec, (slightly rhetorical, just had to say it) ofc you're more than likely switching to dds to spec.

i don't play psykick anymore... i play 2ed: "pure fett"

26081 to get 99 herblore

(scim is 25% faster)

That's all I needed to know, thanks lol. Only time I ever used the longsword was in 05-06.

What about for training attack though? Tip it item database says scim only has +8 to stab.

Well Monkey Madness takes a good 2+ hours for most players (Can technically be done under 1 hour but good luck with that)

The DPS is probably realistically 20% less than a scimmy on creatures such as experiments. (You train attack with slash on both weapons FYI)

So if 60 to 70 attack takes you more than 10 hours with a longsword it would be better to get the scimmy...

Although I think the tokkul sword would be better than a longsword anyway, certainly if you're wealthy and can use a berserker necklace with it (In which case it's better than the scim for killing low def enemies such as experiments!)

It's all a rather moot point though, because you can't train strength with the whip anyway, so you'd certainly want the dragon scimitar for strength training unless wealthy as stated above. (Even then I'd like one personally for things like slayer on slightly higher defense enemies where tokkul isn't as good)

• Like 1

CNqWHdA.jpg

I finished monkey madness a week or two ago so that's not an issue. I'll be training exclusively via slayer so there will be a mixup of monsters and I'm not going to use the zerk neck + sword combo for that. Also I'm not concerned with training strength at all, I will most likely keep my stats around 70 50 90 to stake with and 90+ range to pk. But if scim only has a +8 bonus to stab wouldn't the longsword be way better for training attack to 80 or is that a typo?

Oh lol.

You train attack with both weapons using slash as I said in an earlier post. Stab is only for training controlled (att/str/def at same time) with scimitar and is never really used.

You don't need to focus on what attack style enemies are weak to in 07, d scimmy slash is better than dlong stab on ALL enemies (possibly not metal dragons... But that's it.)

Scim is much much better. Dlong is garbage.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Wait so the style you train attack with on the long hits depending on the slash bonus? I thought Stab was accurate for some reason. Last time I played was in actual 07 and I quested up to 50 in oldschool and have only used an ancient staff while training to 60 so I haven't been able to check stats and styles on longs/ scims lol.

Thanks for answering all the stupid questions.

Both the Longsword and the Scimitar have 3 Slash Attack options

1 for ATK xp - Accurate

1 for STR xp - Agressive

1 for DEF xp - Defensive

And they both have a stab option which trains on controlled.

An old player from 2004-2011. I'm back for the 2007 servers, let's see how long this lasts.

My account's display name used to be Sir Izenhime

signature_zpse31b54ec.png

vinyl_djpon3.png

Stupid Should Hurt

I'm fairly sure even the mystic staves(upgraded battlestaff) are better than a longsword for training on low def(things like jungle spiders, for example).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Battlestaves and mystic staves are 5 tick, so they're worse than the longsword.

The question is whether the ancient staff (mystic staff stats with 4 tick speed) is better than d long :P I remember using it to kill waterfiends back in the day.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

So how do I know which style benefits from the Slash bonus on different weapons?

Basically every weapon in the game will have an attack, a defense and a strength training option that are all in the most accurate attack style of the weapon. Then they often have a controlled attack style that is in a less accurate style.

The big exception to this is whip, which has attack, defense, and controlled. All slash.

Attack style only matters for icefiends (crush weak) and metal dragons (stab weak) everything else either doesn't have weaknesses or strengths to the styles, or their weaknesses are too small to make using another style worth it over the superior raw DPS weapon.

CNqWHdA.jpg

So using D Scim as an example. its chop/ slash/ block styles all hit based on the slash bonus it gives and the lunge style hits based on stab bonus. Is that right? Can't believe I forgot all of this after having not played for so long lol.

So how do I know which style benefits from the Slash bonus on different weapons?

By looking in your Combat Options tab.

Hovering your mouse over the options tells you what weapon style it's using and what it trains.

example_zps2f386277.png

An old player from 2004-2011. I'm back for the 2007 servers, let's see how long this lasts.

My account's display name used to be Sir Izenhime

signature_zpse31b54ec.png

vinyl_djpon3.png

Stupid Should Hurt