Crossbows glitched (Really?)

J35u5_M4

A lot of people are telling me that crossbows (one handed ones) have been broken since EoC, because they don't give damage (the crossbow itself) compared to two handed ranged ones. So I equiped dual CCBs with royal bolts, got the same damage on interface as chaotic claws (both T80 fastest weapons) then I wore royal crossbows with royal bolts, got same damage on interface as chaotic maul (Both T80 average speed weapons). With this I believe they're not glitched, at least not in that way.

Then some other people started telling me that the real glitch is that the damage in the offhand is not being counted on the ability damage formula, so it's the same as having mh CCB + oh CCB than mh CCB + oh bronze for example. A friend did some tests with critical hits and found out that the critical hit of royal/zaryte has very close to the one of dual CCB.

So my question is, are these rumors even true? The evidence says otherwise but I haven't really tested this as I heard this rumor just a few days ago.

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

I believe this got fixed on the 30th of April update. Yes there were some problems like that before it, but after that update it should've been fixed.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

The rumor wasn't a rumor, it was outdated information.

Dual weapons , back when EoC was released (especially for ranged and magic), were indeed absolute rubbish when used with abilities. The reason being that all abilities only took main hand weapon into account, thus, with exception to Havoc and Decimation, all of the abilities dealt a third less damage compared to when using 2h weapons.

But as lioness said, that was updated a while ago, all abilities, when used with dual wield, now also take off hand weapon damage into account, so, given identical circumstances and rotation, the two kinds are very close to each other now.

If you are talking about the lack of damage on Chaotic crossbows, it's because for those, there was no need to 'normalise' its damage (unlike Royal Crossbow, which needs damage on the weapon to balance out).

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Yeah, I know the reason behind the no damage of CCB, having no damage makes it have the same damage as its melee equivalent, royal/zaryte needed damage on the weapon itself to be as good as its melee equivalent. But some people, just looking at the no damage on one and damage on the other, thought they were broken.

On the other rumor, I know dual wielding was broken some time ago, but these guys told me that melee got fixed, but ranged didn't get fixed, hence making dual ranging broken compared to dual melee.

But I just went to test the dummies myself, got pretty close critical hits with dual ranging/2h and dual melee/2h. So the weapons aren't broken as they claimed they were :/

For ccbow, the damage is:

Royal bolt + weapon + level every 4 ticks, plus the off-hand at half that damage

For royal xbow, the damage is:

Royal bolt + weapon + 1.5*level every 6 ticks.

Since ccbows have 0 weapon damage, dw ccbow has 1.5 royal bolt strengths + levels per 4 ticks. The royal crossbow needs .5 extra tier 80 (royal bolt) strength+level bonus to match the two bows, plus 50% bonus damage to compensate for the slower speed. That means royal crossbows have 1.25 times the strength bonus of royal bolts, plus a bit extra for levels.

And yeah, apparently off-hands don't affect what ammo you can use, so you can use t90 ascension bolts while using rune crossbow off-hand.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

So, according to what Quyneax said, the damage bonus on the royal crossbows is the result of the .5 royal bolts bolt strength + 50% bonus damage to match the dw ccbows?

I did not know about that rumor of offhands being able to use any ammo

It's not the off-hands using any ammo. The way Jagex coded it, when calculating damage, it only checks if you have an off-hand equipped, not what that off-hand is. I'd expect this to be fixed quickly, though.

That's true and isn't just a rumor.

09144a99bb.png

But is the damage coming from DW CCBs with T80 bolts was around the same as Royal/Zaryte when I did the test on dummies. Or are you talking that, despite the ammo I have, the off hand damage is fixed or something? I only did the test with T80 bolts.

Because what you just said is something a friend told me that was going on, but with the test I thought I proved it false, care to tell me a bit more in depth what the glitch is specifically?

Ascension bolts cannot be used with a mainhand chaotic crossbow, because the bolts are t90 ammo and the crossbow is only t80. The glitch is that with abilities only the mainhand crossbow is checked for compatibility with the ammo, while the offhand isn't, allowing you to get away with a weaker offhand while still having the damage output of a higher one.

If you want to test, try using a mainhand CCB and an offhand bronze crossbow, while wielding royal bolts. When you use abilities, the damage should be equal to the damage of dual CCBs.

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

Heh, you were faster than me :/. I was about to post that I did that test, and I can see the actual glitch. Even the damage displays like that on the interface, so it's not a 'hidden glitch' so to say. Wore DW CCB with royal bolts, then swapped the offhand with a bronze, had the same damage on the interface but the accuracy did change, I'm not sure how the accuracy factors in on abilities though. But I can see the glitch now, guess people were so misinformed that they told me the wrong glitch

ability accuracy, as far as we know, only comes from the main hand, off hand have no say in it.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)