Another new game for Jagex

helring

I don't think Jagex cares that they lost half their subscribers.

They successfully turned their game into a run-of-the-mill pay-2-win game where the wallet warriors throw money at them.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Well they might beat blizzard to the punch with this new FPS/MOBA genre if they don't dink around in beta too long.

Doubtful Blizzards Overwatch has a Beta 2015 date set in stone and had gameplay available at Blizzcon. This game looks like cheap production to try to ride on their studio name just to try to add some profits to their bleeding business model. 

Low_C.png

They successfully turned their game into a run-of-the-mill pay-2-win game where the wallet warriors throw money at them.

I have to ask, how does one actually win RuneScape ?

Idiots throwing money at Jagex is a good thing if you think about it, it'll let them survive longer -> allowing YOU to play RuneScape longer. I don't see any problem in here.

• Like 1

I'm just making the point that players paying with in-game money (bonds) or a good chunk of them are technically still playing for free, as in not spending any real life cash.  And it's harder to make a comparison with the ratio of free players to members when that option was not available until recently.

Ah. Well, that's sort of my point. A lot of players aren't paying Jagex any money at all (since they use bonds). But the fact they bought bonds (even with in-game monies) means that someone somewhere did originally buy the bonds with IRL gpies. So profit is still being generated there. But it seems, an ever shrinking group of hardcore players are the ones that Jagex is generating their money from, because it's these players who buy bonds from Jagex and sell to other players. That's the essence of the freemium model.

I have bought plenty of stuff from SGS, but always with bonds with in game monies. Small anecdote, but it's relevant. I have other friends who are single, have decent jobs, don't have many responsibilities, and have heavy workloads, and spare money. So they will buy 10, 20, 30 bonds at a time with IRL gp and buy useful spin promotions or ditch the bonds for in game monies, indirectly paying for the memberships of dozens of other people.

Jagex has compensated for their declining membership with switching to a freemium model. There's nothing wrong with this (it's quite profitable), but it is more risky than having a large group of people all paying you a little, than having a smaller group of people, out of which a handful pay you lots. That was my only point.

I really can't see how this concept is different to what Ace of Spades was?

Are they just remaking the same basic concept after it went a bit wrong the first time round?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

You don't need to train prayer for bossing anymore though. Amulet of zealots too good

Although that's true, most people still prefer the standard turmoil/anguish/torment + Soul Split.

Yea but getting into bossing to make money for stats doesn't have to require 92+ prayer

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

I have to ask, how does one actually win RuneScape ?

Idiots throwing money at Jagex is a good thing if you think about it, it'll let them survive longer -> allowing YOU to play RuneScape longer. I don't see any problem in here.

There is competition in Runescape over many things.

If there wasn't then why would anybody real world trade in the first place?

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I can think of other reasons.

"Ooh I'm level 70 in combat stats, I want barrows armor...oh wait how will I pay for that?!"

"I need 70 prayer to do this awesome quest and experience it for myself...but killing things for bones/ashes is taking too long!"

Mostly along the lines of med-level players looking for ways to access something they may want (fixed milestone) rather than necessarily competing (I MUST get full dragon before my friend!).

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.