Behind the Scenes - November 2015

Howlin0001

Behind the Scenes | November 2015

This month's focused around a world-spanning slayer challenge from the one and only Raptor, with a new monster to fight each week and double Slayer XP from daily assignments, given by the big fella himself.

We've also got a long-awaited update to defenders, awesome divination outfits and the closed beta of Chronicle: RuneScape Legends.

----------------------------------------------------------

Raptor's Challenge

For the month of November, the Raptor has undertaken one of Gielinor's most noble callings – being a slayer master!

Any RuneScape member – of any Slayer level - can try their hand at completing Raptor’s assignments, for double Slayer XP and the opportunity to unlock some cracking new rewards.

There's a special suit of Raptor-themed cosmetic armour available, one that can upgrade its looks if you take on four brand new slayer monsters that we are releasing throughout the month.

Each has a unique drop and devious combat mechanics, and requires 96 Slayer. All of these magnificent creations came from you via RuneLabs and the polls, so if you die horribly, you'll have to blame Anarchy Time, Omnis, Syrus Coy and Adelunth for their brutal ideas!

Firstly there are wyverns – horrific beasts that live in the freezing conditions of the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon. You'll have to keep an eye on the hostile environment to defeat these bad boys, and hope that they'll drop the new lvl 85 wyvern crossbow with its powerful passive damage-over-time effect.

wyvern_concept.jpg

Next up are ripper demons, the horrible reality behind the legend established in One Piercing Note. Lurking in a cave near Al Kharid and equipped with powerful claws, these guys are highly mobile, leaping from the shadows and preying on the unready with devastating effect. Their unique drop is the level 85 ripper demon claws, which become more damaging the lower your opponent's health is.

ripper_demon_concept.jpg

Camel warriors are far from comedic, although they do look very strange indeed. These mysterious soldiers are investigating an island east of Sophanem, and are capable of using both magic and physical violence. You'll have to be wary of their mirage-based tactics and adapt accordingly. They drop the awesome level 85 camel staff, which can reduce the accuracy of your target's own attacks as it's used.

camel_warrior_concept.jpg

Finally - without doubt my favourite of the four - are the giant Acheron mammoths. These huge, lumbering beasts live on a distant iceberg and have a surprising turn of speed. They're capable of trampling you into the ground like a puny insect or smashing you about with their relentless charge. They have a particularly awesome unique drop – the ingredients to make a level 99 summoning pouch for a new best-in-slot beast of burden!

acheron_mammoth_concept.jpg

All four of these new high-level mobs can drop key parts that - when combined together - open Raptor's chest to access even more rewards.

Defenders

There’ll be brand new defenders being added from level 70 all the way up to level 90. Right now, we’re just releasing the melee versions, with ranged and magic defenders coming out later.

The new defenders are drops from the Barrows, Nex and the Kalphite King, but you’ll need to grab the lower-tiered defenders before you have a chance to get the higher ones. So grab your dragon defender and get ready to cross the world to find all three of the tasty new weapons.

There are a few extra steps to completing each one, so keep a look out for more info on them over the next few weeks.

---------------------------------------------------------

Divine Simulacrum | Rares

We're adding Divine Simulacrum outfits to Treasure Hunter that can speed up your divination training, and can be combined for even greater divination-related rewards.

We're also giving you an extra chance to grab those rare items from the Rare Store - increasing rare tokens for a special weekend and reducing the token price of the rares themselves.

Chronicle | Closed Beta

Finally, I'm very proud to announce that the closed beta for our brand new strategy card game – Chronicle: RuneScape Legends - will be launching on the 25th of November. It's a fantastic game that's well worth trying out, so pop over to the Chronicle website, watch the trailer and sign up for the beta! It's the perfect game to play while training those low-intensity skills.

As a closed beta, we will be inviting a few thousand people at a time from those signed up, with more being added later, so get in quick!

howlin1eeveesig.png

Interesting concept with defenders filling out some needed spaces...hopefully they'll have a solid place among the metagame when all is said and done, but we'll see.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Ever since the release of the raptor everyone has been wanting a suit of armour just like his. A lot of fans have been ogling his maul too. I'm certainly looking forward to this slayer event.

I'm not sure about the camel warriors though. I guess it sounds like an interesting niche pvp weapon. The claws are a nice contender against the use of dragon claws as well. I'm wondering what the 'pack mammoth' will have for a special ability. Maybe he will have an ability where the player can't be stomped for 30 seconds and the familiar will instead take the damage. I feel the wyverns are the most underwhelming of the four. We already have the wildy wyrm shieldbow with a similar passive effect in the same tier slot.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Interesting concept with defenders filling out some needed spaces...hopefully they'll have a solid place among the metagame when all is said and done, but we'll see.

Apparently they'll be changing defenders to basically be half off-hand weapons, half shields, giving access to both sets of abilities. So they'll probably be pretty darn useful for tanks who don't need the full defensive capabilities of an actual shield.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

i get the impression that the level 99 bob will be tankier than the yak because everybody keeps complaining about how they die so fast

Yak now has 45,000 health

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum