Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Open carry and gun law discussion

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Lower Levelled
[ Display Name History ]

Lower Levelled

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 230 posts
Yeah I don't get open carrying for self defense. I would think if anything you become a higher target if you open carry. If you were robbing someone, wouldn't you want to eliminate the highest threat first? Open carrying just seems like a way to show everyone in the room that you have a small penis.

Conceal and carry is fine with me, it's far superior to unequipping everyone of guns. I'll never conceal and carry or own a gun because I like to believe all people have a semblance of good.

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

Seriously, how many times have you seen anyone use gun in self-defense? Do you know anyone who has used a gun in self-defence?

Carrying a gun for self-defence only makes sense in upper-Northern Canada and Svalbard and Greenland, where they do have polar bears roaming aroung who actually can attack and kill you.

I think I can count on the fingers of one hand for how many times the cops in the whole country have had to use a gun for the whole last year for anything other than a warning/attention shot in the air.

reddit.com/r/dgu

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
ITT: People who know nothing about guns making uninformed irrational statements about them.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

I'll never conceal and carry or own a gun because I like to believe all people have a semblance of good.

It's great that you feel that way. You do realize that statement, however, is objectively demonstrably untrue?

polvCwJ.gif

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,226 posts
I want incin rounds in my minigun in my Philadelphia apartment at all times. For safety.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,492 posts
&& my anti tank gernades cause you never know

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

ITT: People who know nothing about guns making uninformed irrational statements about them.

Which is something every single one of us (including you) has been guilty of in one thread or another, so what makes guns so sacred? :-D

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

Which is something every single one of us (including you) has been guilty of in one thread or another, so what makes guns so sacred? :-D

Nothing. I've pointed out the same in other threads as well. Actually, the majority of people in this thread are being fairly reasonable, it's only a small percentage I was referring to.

polvCwJ.gif

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,518 posts
  • RSN:Saq Prets
  • Clan:Off-Topic

Considering we have only like 10 people ITT the percentage can't be small :D

And I don't count reddit as a correct source if my question was do YOU know anyone who has had to use a gun in self-defence.

The USA is pretty much the size of the whole Europe. The margins are so big that there is bound to happen something.

What I meant is, most of us live in neighbourhoods where owning a gun is absolutely not necessary. Does not need to be used. And the less guns are around, the better for all of us.

I know that there are like maybe 10 psychos with guns roaming around in my country. But here's a million people who are not psychos with guns. But here is like, maybe 10 thousand psychos. But I am not afraid of those psychos. Because those psychos can't get guns from the local [bleep]ing Wal-Mart. Thanks to mandatory psychological evaluation in the country. And, because we don't have Wal-Marts here :D

Posted Image

Naive
[ Display Name History ]

Naive

Il Ganodermo

• Members
  • 1,419 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Naive
  • RSN2:Sman25000
  • Clan:HYT
Something something CAPITALISM yadda yadda

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.

351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN!QFC: 90-91-310-65710712

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,226 posts
Philly cop was just assaulted with a police issued pistol at near point blank range and thankfully only 3 of 13 bullets hit and they all hit his arm before he could drop he is assailant with a swift 3 shot kill. This is why open carry and concealed carry are both unreasonable in the city. Cause bodies would just drop on the reg. Shits not like that in bumble [bleep] country ville

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Riku3220
[ Display Name History ]

Riku3220

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,800 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Rpg I don't understand what that has to do with open or concealed carry. It just sounds like a criminal shooting at a cop, which would happen whether or not guns were legal to carry.

Saq, the one Wal Mart I've seen carrying guns sold rifles as sporting/hunting equipment, next to the fishing poles. It's not like they're running a deal where if you buy a pack of chicken you get a Glock 17 free. Also you talk a lot about making guns harder to access for psychos, but I've yet to see any suggestions for making that happen without making it also inconvenient to people who aren't going to do harm with them.
Posted Image

Lower Levelled
[ Display Name History ]

Lower Levelled

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 230 posts

Rpg I don't understand what that has to do with open or concealed carry. It just sounds like a criminal shooting at a cop, which would happen whether or not guns were legal to carry.

Saq, the one Wal Mart I've seen carrying guns sold rifles as sporting/hunting equipment, next to the fishing poles. It's not like they're running a deal where if you buy a pack of chicken you get a Glock 17 free. Also you talk a lot about making guns harder to access for psychos, but I've yet to see any suggestions for making that happen without making it also inconvenient to people who aren't going to do harm with them.

Every walmart around where I'm from sells guns

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,492 posts

We make cars hard to access for psychos and inconvenience legitimate drivers. Driving is a much more important skill in life than shooting yet it is much less accessible. But, and here is the big but, cars are the most lethal weapon most of us have access to and more people are killed by cars each year than guns so the regulation makes a lot of sense.

Riku3220
[ Display Name History ]

Riku3220

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,800 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

We make cars hard to access for psychos and inconvenience legitimate drivers. Driving is a much more important skill in life than shooting yet it is much less accessible. But, and here is the big but, cars are the most lethal weapon most of us have access to and more people are killed by cars each year than guns so the regulation makes a lot of sense.
The only thing you have to do to get a drivers license is prove that you're capable of driving a car without incident. Then if you do something stupid they suspend or revoke your license.
Posted Image

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,518 posts

It's way too easy to get a drivers' license back in the states aswell. We have 40 hours of mandatory theoretical classes before you can even start test driving with an instructor. And there is the bare minimum of 20 hours of driving lessons here before you can even apply for exams to get the drivers' license here.

And yeah, I agree with making small inconveniences to people wanting to get [bleep]ing guns. If you really do want to defend yourself you are better off getting a basic self-defence melee course.

Posted Image

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

This is why open carry and concealed carry are both unreasonable in the city. Cause bodies would just drop on the reg.

Once again, this is simply not true. There are many cities where carrying happens frequently and in many cases they have lower crime rates than cities that have bans on carrying.

polvCwJ.gif

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,518 posts

Crime rates are not dependent on whether the open carry is permitted or not. Crime comes from inequality and poverty.

Or, in some cases, cultural background.

If people have it good, why would they ever need to turn to crime?

Posted Image

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

Crime rates are not dependent on whether the open carry is permitted or not. Crime comes from inequality and poverty.
Or, in some cases, cultural background.

I know they aren't. That was his point, not mine.

polvCwJ.gif

Nyosuht
[ Display Name History ]

Nyosuht

Website Crew Alumnus

• IRC Channel Staff
  • 1,827 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Omnipotence
  • RSN2:Nyosuht

I don't want a gun but I'm not gonna be the guy to threaten to take the guy's gun that owns one.

Good on you, even if it does seem that you're implying that anyone who owns a gun might be dangerous to you.

Being around guns makes me uncomfortable.

That says more about you than it does about guns in general or open carry in particular.

Something that's designed specifically to end human life has no place in my hands. Or near me. It makes me unfocused.

Are you of the belief that it is never appropriate to end human life? That it's morally superior to be a victim whose attacker got away (and maybe eventually caught, tried, and even convicted) than to be a would-be victim who stopped a threat? Are you incapable of finding yourself in a situation where lethal force might be appropriate, or even necessary to your continued survival?

Bullets don't care what they're launched at. Human, dog, cardboard silhouettes, injured deer after a deer-car crash, it's all the same to the bullet. The gun doesn't seem to care either.

Not even for my safety, I've just been so sheltered from it that if I see a gun it's basically all I focus on. Not ideal in a school or workplace honestly. But that's why they're allowed to ban open carry.

Gay people make me uncomfortable, especially when they're open about it and I can see displays of affection. It's basically all I focus on. It's not that I think they're going to give me gonoherpasyphilaids, or somehow turn me gay, I've just been so sheltered from it that I can't function as a human being carrying out my responsibilities at work or school. It's really not ideal, which is why they're allowed to ban gay marriage.

So I'll close with this; country side can do what it wants with gun laws but that shit won't go well in the city

Most states allow open carry, more than a few without a license. Over the course of the past five years or so, I've carried openly in Detroit, Lansing, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Indianapolis, and lots of smaller places in between. The only problem I've had is with cops who don't know the law, or who know the law and either don't care or don't expect me to. I live in a smaller city of about 30k people, and am regularly thanked by random people on the street and in stores for carrying.

There was some dissent when my state relaxed restrictions on concealed carry; it sounded a lot like you, and it was demonstrably wrong.

rnHJQwZ.png
In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. ~Samuel Adams; 1 August, 1776
There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster; 15 March, 1837

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users