14 year old boy commits suicide over runescape =(

Im4eversexy

It took me a long time to write this and i put it in the wrong section and tip.it locked it lucky i have saved it, I believe this is where it belong.

i was wondering why all of a sudden jagex started telling players to seek help if there not feeling right and may want to do something about it. so i went searching the web and found a few thing this is not my writing so i will quote it.

Two days ago, a 14 year old boy from the Netherlands decided to quit his life, due to a lot of problems in both e-life and real life. The boy called Maarten, made a farewell post on a forum of his RuneScape clan, telling everyone the reasons for robbing himself of life. The last bit of suffer came from a friend of his, who hacked his RuneScape account, afterwards Maarten felt he lost his last friend, and decided life wasn't worth living anymore...

I don't have the direct link to his farewell post, but this is a copy of it: http://www.techzine.nl/uploaded/17551_b8bc8d69.jpg

Article in Dutch: http://www.telegraaf.nl/i-mail/34502521/Jo...mputerspel.html

when i found this I figured maybe its a hoaxes so I figured who better to ask then jagex I was sad when jagex confirmed this very sad I cant right what jagex exactly wrote so ill try to paraphrase it.

it went along the lines of..

This is an incident we are aware of and its wrong for us to comment any further about it. We take matters of this sort seriously and we have to show respect after something like this. We have taken the time to remind all players to play safely and responsibly. We have always taken the welfare of our players very seriously and hope to never have a recurrence of this sad event.

thats not word for word but basically what it said I was sad to hear about this and want to remind every one runescape is just a game and to take life for what it is precious and not to give it away because you got hacked or scammed over some dumb game. I don't expect a lot of controversy to spark up cause of this cause you can really do noting but feel sad for this poor child's family and only try to grief with them.

I also have a few other things I found online about this I would like to add..

Today Maarten, a valued HoF member hung himself. He has been confirmed dead. IM in shock, and IM sure many people are. Why did he do it? Well, according to sources he was scammed for 11 m on RS life was rough and he decided to not carry on life. At the age of 14!.Let this remind you runescape is just a game

my heart goes out to maarten's family and every one who knew him as do others.

The link to his suicide note is above but ill put it down here to incse you missed it.

maarten's suicide letter=(:

I don't have the direct link to his farewell post, but this is a copy of it: http://www.techzine.nl/uploaded/17551_b8bc8d69.jpg

Article in Dutch: http://www.telegraaf.nl/i-mail/34502521/Jo...mputerspel.html

omg that guy is such a nerd!!!

:( so sad :(

btw: w00t first post!

nadsiggeh2cw3.png

(\/) 42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

(O.o) cabbage rools

(><) my sig is cool, if you agree put this in your sig. *is too lazy to animate*

^the bunny is back! yay!

Not much that you can say about that... I guess he had problems in his real life that we'll never find out about.

TheOldNite.gif

Fel 'n ddedwydd ydy 'r hunau drwo choel a cer am 'r yn bucheddu.

Stop this story. It's been posted about 5 times. Sad yes. But search damit.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

There's already been a topic about this since it's about 4 weeks old. You might be able to find a link to the original message on his former clans site. [hofclan.com]

Still a sad story though. [yet it continues on and on...]

i live in the netherlands, and is was in the newspaper. he also had problems on school and at home. so it's not only the fact that he was hacked.

Give a man a fish, and he'll choke on the bones. Result: You get the rest of the fish.

Teach a man to fish, and he'll catch a lot of fish, then choke on one of the bones. Result: You get all the fish he caught.

Teaching people is better.

-most of us knew-

On topic: It's a very sad story from what I heard.

So all you "he's a nerd" punks listen: the boy was bullied at school.Very badly. He however had many friends on runescape and internet. But one day his best friend from school hacked his account. The boy was so devastaded that he decided to kill himself.

He didn't kill himself 'just over a game'.He did it because he couldn't take life's harshness anymore.Is he a nerd for doing this?No.He's a poor boy, wo just didn't get a chance.Suicide is never funny.

Now stop posting about him and let him rest in peace.And think before you post, you insensitive jerks.(not all of you, just the guys who say he is a nerd :x )

I'm sure he had other problems, I would never do a suicide for money in a game. He might had fmily problems, school went very bad or something..

Sad thing though. :(

6,521th to 99 woodcutting | Fletching 98/99 |

Idarodo | Combat 90 | Total 1565+ | 38m+ total exp

Retired.

Well i like Runescape. But sometimes i have to get my friends to take me out and play soccer.

I feel sorry, but you gotta just play for a bit. Just don't get yourself too involved!

If anyone remembers me... PM ME. having nostaligia issues D:

Would anyone posting please read the whole thread first, he did not kill himself just because of runescape

TheOldNite.gif

Fel 'n ddedwydd ydy 'r hunau drwo choel a cer am 'r yn bucheddu.

No, his name was Maarten. He has had lots of problems at home and at school. He enjoys Runescape alot and that was just something where he forgot his real-life problems. Then probably his best friend hacked him and stole 14million. You don't realize but if you don't feel great at home, at school and your friends are running away from you and the only thing you enjoy yourself is Runescape, then is it all very sad. His parents asked Runescape.nl forums and the clan forums he's been for a while not to make topics about his dead.

I know it's all very sad. And it's his own fault. But don't call him a nerd. I know it's his own fault. I don't want to know what he thinks about his life. I'll never kill myself anyway. But you really need balls to kill yourself so think he was very sad.

But this topic's are asked to delete by his parents.

Kintenic

I think you'll find the reason it was locked was because it's been posted 17 times.

You can find a long discussion on it Here

Normally I'd tell you to search, but I can't see it applicable here, as the thread title is hardly specific. In any case, discuss it there.

It actually pains me to see this much ignorance in ONE thread. People don't just go and suicide "just like that" over a game. These things builds up and "eats you up" emotionally from inside (lol I couldn't think of a way to express my self :oops: ). For many people RuneScape is more then just a game, although it would be stupid of me to go and make assumptions because I know nothing of the boy. But if I'm allowed to make a guess I'd say he sought comfort with RS so he wouldn't have to deal with his RL.

I'm locking this because its inappropriate. End of story.

If you'd like any questions answered about this lock, please pm me.

Rule #1 clearly states, "Do NOT confuse Newpy!"

Only 19 years to get to level 99 in something.  Mining, check.

Moving right along ... Catch me if you can! 🤣

Always buying silver ore at above GE prices!