Kurt Vonnegut, Sarte.. anyone else fans?

unFaith

heh, just mentioned kurt vonnegut in another thread (evolution one). i have seven of his books: bluebeard, breakfast of champions, cats cradle, deadeye [bleep], galapagos, slapstick, slaughterhouse five. id have to say my favorite so far is slapstick, but they are all pretty much just as good as each other. breakfast of champions was probably my least favourite, but not by much.

and by satre do you mean john paul satre? i think he is more of a philisophical writer, me and my friends always refered to him as "star trek" or john paul star trek. just klind of sounds the same :lol:

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

yea i meant sartre, typo.

yea, vonnegut tends to repeat himself a lot, but i always thought it's pretty amazing he could go on national television and call the human race a "disease" on the earth and escape any vehement criticism.

ever read Age of Reason by Sartre though? really good read.

"Being and Nothingness" is a bit too complex for me unfortunately, but I do hear some good commentary concerning that book every so often that I can understand.

I've read Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five for school but never really got into him. I did like the book and his themes and symbols were pretty good too but something just didn't click the way things do when I read something truly spectacular.

I guess I'm more of a Hemingway man. :P

Are you serious? Ugh. I'm not big fan of Vonnegut (although I do like John Irving, who's often compared to Vonnegut) but I'd take him over Hemingway any day of the week. Hemingway was so sexist I find it hard to understand how anyone could enjoy him. Women were simply objects to Hemingway. Their only real purpose was to bring the men slippers and drinks and light their cigars.

Ive read Cat's Craddle and frankly, I thought the man is brilliant!

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

i just finished reading Slaughter house-five, and i must say, nothing like i've ever read before. i liked it though, it was loaded with commentary and symbolism, which was great for the test i had to take on it. but i did like the book, i didn't just read it to do the test. it was only partly for the test. i could've read red badge of courage, but, no. no, and i don't thank you for the offer either.

proud quest cape owner

here's my first post on the TIF (scroll to the bottom)

feel free to pm me, but do make sure that i know you're a Tip.It user (in other words, give me a HYT)

signatureTIF.jpg

Are you serious? Ugh. I'm not big fan of Vonnegut (although I do like John Irving, who's often compared to Vonnegut) but I'd take him over Hemingway any day of the week. Hemingway was so sexist I find it hard to understand how anyone could enjoy him. Women were simply objects to Hemingway. Their only real purpose was to bring the men slippers and drinks and light their cigars.

Well, except for his character flaws, Hemingway is an incredible writer. If you see past the actual plot lines in his stories like The Old Man and the Sea and of course A Farewell to Arms, it's incredible literature. Vonnegut isn't exactly all that flattering to women either. Cat's Cradle where the women are either extrememly ugly or die early on; and in Slaughterhouse where women are trophy wives or fat. So, since both writers are sexist, I think Hemingway's writing is better than Vonnegut's.