History's Greatest Hero

Barihawk

When I say "destroy the world 8 times over" I mean enough explosions to make the Earth a floating marble incapable of supporting life.

You don't mean enough explosions to make the Earth a floating marble incapable of supporting life eight times then?

Because my point is that it's unecessary to destroy it 8 times. The amount needed to destroy it once, for each country is enough :wink:

Yeah well, the Cold War was all about bragging; the country with the most firepower is the coolest :)

And Bari; I dunno what exactely happened 65 mio years ago (since I'm only 19 punny years old) when that meteorite crashed on Earth, all I know are the consequences. And they weren't that aweful that the Earth was a piece of crap :wink: Remember, 5% of the animals did survive tens of years of bitter cold, barely any sunlight and as good as no food. Not to mention everything that happened when that thing crashed down. This is what happened when 5000y ago, a meteorite half the size of a footbal field landed in Arizona, you probably also know the famous crater there: http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlkop/meteorcr.html

Keep in mind that the meteorite that hit the Mexican bay was 6 miles (!) in diameter; the rock that hit arizona is nothing compared to that. And yet, even if a monster like that hit the Earth, much survives and the Earth is as good as new after a few hundred years, plenty of vegetation will be back, animals will once again flourish and multiply.

That's why I think that even the fragile species that we are would survive a nuclear war. We're creative enough to find solutions to almost everything.

If not, we can just put some cockroach genes in and problem solved :D !

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

:lol:

ahhh.. i better go to bed, 6 AM lol, damn holidays.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

Oy, life did survive the 6 mile asteroid! But asteroids only happen once in a blue moon, while H-bombs take out 100 square miles at a time and release radiation into the atmosphere. Not to mention that 500-1000 warheads would be involved in a nuclear attack and retaliation.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Oy_the_Great, I agree with you, we'd find a way out if an asteroid crashes the earth.

The biggest threat to human life is ourselves (thats a generalization, of course, I mean people like Bush).

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

Corn, did you even BOTHER to read the thread or did you immediately hit "reply"?

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Oy, life did survive the 6 mile asteroid! But asteroids only happen once in a blue moon, while H-bombs take out 100 square miles at a time and release radiation into the atmosphere. Not to mention that 500-1000 warheads would be involved in a nuclear attack and retaliation.

Yeah, I get your point bari, and I don't want to sound like a know-it-allm but a friend of mine wrote a book about astronomy and one of the chapters discusses what would happen if an asteroid hit the Earth.

He consulted about a hundred books writing his own, and I can guarantee you that you'd much rather be involved in a nuclear war than in a meteor crash the size of the thingie that hit the dinos.

*grabs book and translates from dutch*

This is what would happen if such a planetoid would crash into the deep blue at a speed of 60.000mph:

Firstly the power of the impact alone would equal that of 4 BILLION (quite a bit more than 500-1000 :))A-bombs. Now for the post-impact effects:

The water of the ocean in which it crashes will be pressed together to a density 3 times smaller than its original one. Of course this results in massive tsunamis, believe it or not, they'd be over a kilometer (=.8miles) high. These monsters would storm the coasts of all surrounding continents at 500 mph, so pretty slow, you'd be death ten times over by other stuff before you'd notice them ;)

The rocks that lie underneath the place of impact will vaporise from the heat and because of the massive energy release air temperature will be 1700ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâð Celcius (lotsa Fahrenheit :lol:) Giant clouds of steam will rise up from the ocean creating supersonic airstreams that lift up the pulverized meteorite shreds to, well way high :)

A blinding flash can be noticed in a radius of thousands of miles, what it really is is the hot air, pretty much a fireball that enlarges with 40 times the speed of sound, burning everything in its path (duh, it's 1700ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâðCelcius!). An incredible shockwave (can't call that an earthquake anymore, Richter's scale is pathetic :P) will surround the Earth and toss everything off its balance, mountains nearby the impact will crumble...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you haven't been killed by the aura of fire, the shockwave, the tsunamis or the impact of 4 billion A-boms, you'll surely die of the weather changes afterwards. Because all air around the area of impact will have been pushed away, a huge low-pressure gap will create incredible storms that create mega-hurricanes (not going into detail here, let's just say Catrina is nothing compared to them) etc etc etc. Poisonous fumes, not from the meteor itself, but from chemical reactions will also occur.

The next year the entire world will be blackened by fumes and gasses that block all sunlight and suffocate most remaining life. Temperature will drop to far below 0 degrees and this, combined with a lack of sunlight, will anihilate all remaining plants. Then a thick layer of poisonous snow will cover the earth and acid rains will make the oceans and rivers unsuitable for drinking. After half a year, most dust will have fallen back to the surface of the earth but the atmosphere will be filled with CO2 for thousand of years to come. A lack of vegetation will keep this CO2 level up. The high CO2 level will make the infrared raditation of the sun stay in our atmosphere, basically this'll result in a giant greenhouse effect, heat all over the place again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All right, imagine you're superman and somehow, you escaped to space just in time but forgot to get rid of the asteroid before it came crashing down.

You go back to Earth, only to find... Nothing! All flora will have either been burnt to the ground, destroyed by the mega-tsunamis that go amazingly far in land or wiped out by the climate changes. Of course no buildings survived either and all life will be extinct.

Or is it? Because somehow, and we don't exactely know how, small mamals and fish, reptiles and other animals DID survive, despite all the conditions. Not even all plants will be gone, even though you'd say a lack of sunshine, poisonous water and air, incredible cold and heat would have taken care of everything.

Life is amazing and I doubt any of us can explain how exactely it managed to escape death at that time. That's why I don't believe a few bombs, no matter how powerful, can destroy it all.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

Oh, it was a pleasure typing and translating all that; I'm a geek when it comes to that stuff, I can't get enough of those doom-scenarios :D

If you want to know something more about the book:

http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP. ... ID=1563913

It's dutch of course, but that's the book :)

heinzny2.jpg

God was pretty smart when he put Jupiter, the largest planet, in our solar system to protect us from massive asteroids from pulverizing us.

(Did I just say God??? :roll:)

I'm currently transitioning from a Wizard to a Mage and a Priest to an Archpriest. Lol both are nonexistant in the top 25. Hopefully I can change that. :D

naw. I'll tell you who is the greatest hero of all time...... yeah you know him............................. Chewbacca

Thanks for the spam.

Untitled.png

naw. I'll tell you who is the greatest hero of all time...... yeah you know him............................. Chewbacca

Thanks for the spam.

You do realize your self righteous post had just as much relevancy as his.

I think this guy is definetly a "hero" for doing what he did, but throughout history, for every 1 guy who is celebrated as a hero their is probably 5 guys who have done something as great or greater. I just think their is so many untold heroes combined with all the heroes we celebrate to name anybody "greatest."

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.

Thanks for the spam.

You do realize your self righteous post had just as much relevancy as his.

I think this guy is definetly a "hero" for doing what he did, but throughout history, for every 1 guy who is celebrated as a hero their is probably 5 guys who have done something as great or greater. I just think their is so many untold heroes combined with all the heroes we celebrate to name anybody "greatest."

huh?

nah, lee harvey oswald is historys greatest hero

Yep, he definately was. After all he managed to shoot (according to some sources) bullets really fast and from different places. I'd call that a superhero, definately beats these boring ones like Superman, Wolverine or Captain America. Not to mention that USA most likely wouldn't have gone to Vietnam if JFK had been the president. What do we get from this? Oswald is definately a hero.

Note: that was sarcasm and offtopic.

If you ask me what's worse, a nuclear war or a big asteroid, I'd pick up the nuclear war. If we had a nucler war, our soul would most likely be ruined for x years, x being a huge number. That would slow down the "new generation" a lot, even tho evolution isn't too fast and it most likely wouldn't breed a new human race. Anyways, comparing an asteroid and a nuclear war is like comparing dictators such as Hitler, Stalin or Pol Pot. It doesn't matter did they 1, 6 or 20 million people, your choice is always bad no matter which one do you choce.

Anyways if we go back to the hero thing, I'd pick Mannerheim. Without him I'd most likely speak russian (if I had ever even born), there wouldn't be a country called Finland (or we had gotten our independency in early 1990s along with the Baltic countries) or we would have become a commy country after our civil war in 1918. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannerheim

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm