The Magic "Rant" - Why is magic as expensive as it

Dingo

The Magic Rant

Ok. I am a mage, and I often pk with a friend or two. But it is becoming increasingly frustrating with the prices of runes in the free world. HereÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s about how it breaks down for the cost of ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Åattack runesÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

So... If Pro is the opposite of Con, does that mean that Congress is the opposite of Progress? ...?

If youve ever seen a fight involving a person wearing full rune, youll notice A LOT of 0s on a f2p server. Magic has an extreme advantage as you will hit 90% of your shots. Magic is expensive, yes, but it is powerful and needed in group pking trips.

welcometors8xn.png

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Well im level 60 mage and i do agree, its getting so expensive to up my levels but i find crumble undead is the most effective as it only requires fighting skeles etc and gives the most exp. Runes are not too bad if u have a staff because its chaos and earth but to be fair it cannot be automatically cast, must be done by hand.

I understand ur frustration and that its not fair because rangers hit as hard as mages do so theres no reward for our extra costs but i suggest u become a ranger or normal guy with a sword if u feel so strongly!! :)

Hayley xo

Indeed it does, you're correct. But, also look at the price you pay if you die carrying those 100 deaths, some nats, and various items you have picked up along the way (rune for example)

So... If Pro is the opposite of Con, does that mean that Congress is the opposite of Progress? ...?

Oh no, i died and i was wearing full rune, too bad i wasnt going as a mage. Warriors risk a lot when pking(too bad its 99% impossible to kill a runer on f2p). Mages dont risk as much. Dont get me started on rangers, those guys are just annoying"yay i killed a ranger, addy arrows plz"

welcometors8xn.png

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

If youve ever seen a fight involving a person wearing full rune, youll notice A LOT of 0s on a f2p server. Magic has an extreme advantage as you will hit 90% of your shots. Magic is expensive, yes, but it is powerful and needed in group pking trips.

/\ true very true but it's not all about pking it's about training too..which gets expensive

I would know as I have lvl 71 magic and it has cost me quite a bit..I would suggest making your own airs and mind using a fire staff and training with fire strike it's very cheap. Also killing creatures and getting their drops can help too. As for pking yes it can get expensive but mages are kind of the strong ones and can pwn those who are in full rune :lol: . It would be nice if the shop prices when down to what they were in rsc 90 for chaos 180 for death. good times good times I'll miss you rsc I'll miss you :cry:

You have the right, and people have the right to hate you for it.

Thus, the circle of life is complete.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

It isn't just pking if you read the entire thing... Therefore your comment was nulled, because we still spend more leveling up enough to kill you as you do on rune. And besides that, you can just get from 1-99 with as little as 200k if you stayed with a single weapon for a few levels. Idiot

um bud ru jokeing

First of all the part where u say u would lose about 20k if u die WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE IN FULL RUNE they can lose liek 150-200k depending on if there skulled or not.

Second U get what u pay for magic is the strongest so it cost the most.

Third mages usualy make the most from pking because they can cast bind and members can use teleblock to totaly incapacitate there victums and block there escape.

Fourth ancient magiks.

Fifth make your own runes then it wont cost u anything so stopp complainign and get runecrafting!

phily.png

thxs vibro for the sig ^_^.

It's not all about PKing, and it's not just ME that I'm talking about, it's the entire magic community.

i think this belongs on the "rants" section just to let you know

that said, the biggest advantage of magic for f2p is that you can hit higher at low levels than on either melee or range. note that at higher levels (over 59) mage pking isnt as useful as ranging and melee combat. its true that magic is the most expensive combat skill in the long run, but it is no where as expensive to train as you stated.

First of all, EVERYBODY who trains mage seriously uses an elemental staff.

Secondly, it cost me very little to get from level 29 to 44 since i used the curse method (important: i failed the spell each time) with an earth staff.

lastly, earth strike is cheaper for the same exp in the long run than fire strike since you only need 1 air per cast, but no one really does this since its so slooooow!

the curse method is cheaper and somewhat faster, but remember, YOU DONT GET ANY EXP FOR HP THIS WAY. the main advantage of using combat spells is that you can autocast, and you get hp exp when you hit the enemy!

i hope this helps :wink:

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

you have to weight the advantages and disadvantages of all the combat skills

melee- you only need to buy one set of armour and a weapon and you're good, but if you die you lose alot of money depending upon the type of metal, heavy armour means you're run drains faster, good vs rangers and if your wearing no armour againts mages too

magic- must buy the rune which adds up but you still get xp even if you hit a zero, basic rune can be crafted for f2p and members can craft all but bloods, light cheap mage clothes, and its a ranged attack, staffs add infinite amount of a rune, destroys anybody wearing armour

range- must buy the arrows however they are reusable, also cheap armour, members can fletch arrows and bows, is a ranged attack, works wonders against mages

[omg] who cares if its nerfed or fixed....

you people will argue over the color of a green apple if it was a topic on this fourm god.

magic- must buy the rune which adds up but you still get xp even if you hit a zero, basic rune can be crafted for f2p and members can craft all but bloods, light cheap mage clothes, and its a ranged attack, staffs add infinite amount of a rune, destroys anybody wearing armour

i just wanted to point out that members cant craft soul runes either(they're important for ancient magiks), but blood and soul crafting have been announced as future updates. sry for the off topic post

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

Don't forget they can't craft souls as well...

70herby.png

well, im all for letting f2p have the chaos altar (its a dangerous route through wildy, and a very confusing labyrinth)

and they can also have the level 50 snare spell (bind for 10 seconds)

this would not do much to the combat triangle on f2p worlds, other then mages being used more often

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Of course Magic is expensive: look, mages in F2P do not have any form of expensive equipment, do they? So how do they balance it out in terms of loot in the Wilderness? Runes.

And peoples, I can assure you I have trained my magic level to over 60 without having to waste any money. Firstly, I crafted my runes and casted fire strike on the Dark Wizards in the Dark Wizard's Circle. If I have any spare chaos I go and crumble-undead zombies in the Varrock Sewers, and use spare bodies to curse the Monk in the palace. Now here comes the big part...

High Alchemy. The beautiful thing about this spell is that when used rightly, it can make profit instead of wasting money, as well as giving average experience.

Oh and besides, when I got PKing with 1000 Deaths in my bank and 100 in my inventory, I can always at least get one full rune kill before I completely run out of runes, which gives me a further 100 Deaths. How's that?

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

Yes, you are all very correct about the fact that people usually DO craft runes to train, but you must also realize that I am just pointing out the "price of using magic" so to speak. And I must also point out that this isn't particularly a "rant" which is why I used quotes to mark that it was leaning towards a rant, but wasn't actually a rant. This was more than less pointing out the expense compared to the other classes. Although none have seemed to say anything about how correct the math was... No respect :-({|=