15 Trillion in game gold (Ultima Online) removed from game.

Nadril

The bold parts are the ones to pay attention to :).

his came down the pipes today over in UO land..

As outlined in our Rules of Conduct, we do not allow players to enrich themselves through the abuse of bugs or exploitation of game mechanics. We reserve the right to confiscate any items created through such means.

Recently, we discovered a large number of checks for amounts over one million gold pieces. Checks were never intended to exist in denominations of more than a million. Unfortunately, these inflated checks have been used by exploiters to store extremely large amounts of gold. These checks have now been removed from the game.

This action has resulted in over 180 accounts being terminated and approximately 15 Trillion (15,000,000,000,000) gold pieces have been permanently removed from the game.

We realize that some of checks for amounts over one million gold were created by players who did not intend to exploit or harm the game. The vast majority of these checks have been automatically replaced with separate checks equal to the total amount of the replaced check, which can be found in a brown bag where the original check was located. If the check was inside of a container, you will find the brown bag in the same location as that container. Please note that in some cases the brown bag will be underneath the container, so you will need to move the container to access the bag. If the check was in your backpack or in your bank box, the brown bag will be located in your bank box.

In some cases, this may cause your bank box or your house to hold more than their item limit. DonÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t worry; the new checks are still safe! However, before you will be allowed to place anything more into your bank box or lock down an item in your house, you will have to remove enough items from your bank box or unlock enough items from your house to bring the total number of items below the item limit.

In rare cases where we could not safely convert these checks, the checks were automatically placed in a red secure container with the label, ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅPlease contact a GM about this item.ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

didnt something like this happen to WOW not to long ago?

No clue realy, I don't pay much atention to that... game. (don't care enough to pay atention to it.)

EA removed 15 trillion in game gold that was illegal. It was going to be sold by gold farmers, and with the quote right above me gamespot quoted it to be worth $15-60 MILLION dollars on ebay. I don't know about you, but thats a hell of a lot of money to be screwing gold farmers out of.

It's not like they could have dumped it anyway. Market price of UO gold would have dropped extremely by such an abudance of ingame gold.

EA removed 15 trillion in game gold that was illegal. It was going to be sold by gold farmers, and with the quote right above me gamespot quoted it to be worth $15-60 MILLION dollars on ebay. I don't know about you, but thats a hell of a lot of money to be screwing gold farmers out of.

It's not like they could have dumped it anyway. Market price of UO gold would have dropped extremely by such an abudance of ingame gold.

but still :shock:

If they sold it all at once then the inflation will hit after they finish selling it

Anyone that buys or sells mmorpg items for real life cash are not only cheating themselves but every single person that plays that game.

I'm glad they got punished and their gold taken off them before they had chance to sell, people like this are the scum of the online world.

reportbuttanerfb6.gif

I think games should allow currency trading from the game to real life. There can still be 'special' items, only available through hard work ingame rather than simply being rich in real life. It works for other online games.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

off topic: duke freedom and pker dude jr, two people i never see post anymore since i dont ever look at the runescape forums :D .

on topic: my opinions on this matter are probably not normal, but ill say them anyway. i dont think selling gold in game for real life money is bad. i dont see any problems with it, its kind of a good way for kids to make money, and the people who would actually pay real life money for gold and items are the kids/adults who have extra money to spend.

having said that, the owners of the game own the game, and if they say its illegal, then it should be illegal. thats the stance most mmorpgs have taken, and while i dont agree with it, they own the game.

and the main point of this post is that people were using macros and stuff in game, basically cheating. that is definently wrong and should be illegal.

EDIT: apperantly im not alone in my opinion, dusqi doesnt think its all that bad either :D

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

off topic: duke freedom and pker dude jr, two people i never see post anymore since i dont ever look at the runescape forums :D .

on topic: my opinions on this matter are probably not normal, but ill say them anyway. i dont think selling gold in game for real life money is bad. i dont see any problems with it, its kind of a good way for kids to make money, and the people who would actually pay real life money for gold and items are the kids/adults who have extra money to spend.

having said that, the owners of the game own the game, and if they say its illegal, then it should be illegal. thats the stance most mmorpgs have taken, and while i dont agree with it, they own the game.

and the main point of this post is that people were using macros and stuff in game, basically cheating. that is definently wrong and should be illegal.

EDIT: apperantly im not alone in my opinion, dusqi doesnt think its all that bad either :D

In general it doesn't seem that bad. However, when you play an MMO that (when you are able to buy quite powerful items for real life cash) that's focused on PvP, you have a problem.

Take Lineage II. The game is a PvP game in the heart. The fact is is that if someone spends real life money, and is able to get a very nice item they will have the upper hand in PvP. Now, tell me, how exactly is that fair or even good practice for an MMO?

Items in lineage II are hard to get. It's not an easy game, and money is hard to come by. I know many people that will work their tails off to get top A grade weapons (available at lvl 62. generaly these people start saving at 40! (max lvl is 78).) However, someone with a hefty (real life) walet can come by, buy a +7 A grade weapon (enchants are very expensive to do, and risky as you risk breaking a weapon after +3) with no work at all. They than can decimate the normal playerbase.

I'm fine with someone who is good at making money, or lucky, to get the upper hand. That's one part of the game. Hell, i'm even generaly fine with a PvE game players buying real items (because I don't give a damn if you can kill a mob faster than me).

However, when you bring this into a PvP enviroment, it messes with everything. I don't know if you realy are a PvP kind of person, but I am. And the fact is is that players who are able to buy top, ubar items can and will have the advantage. When you end up getting beaten and owned by someone who, just because they not only have the money in real life, but are able to spend it on such a thing, you will probaly come back and change your statement.

Basicly said, Gold farming is not only a way for players to easily gain the upper hand, but it also is prone to know to realy mess with the economy. (Even though on very rare instances it may help a bit with prices. Sadly, in L2 the prices stay down because of gold farmers constantly bringing items into the game.)

The other thing is, is that I don't see why someone would want to spend money on gold, or items in game. It's the same thing as people who decide to cheat their way to the end of a single player game. Maybe some of it still took some work (having to know where to go, taking the time to get there) but the actual gameplay is null, boring, and easy. And what do you get when you reach the end? Not much.

I realize that MMO's are different, and the 'end game' in them is something to strive for. I for one know I am rushing through levels in Lineage II (early ones at least) because I have been through them hundreds of times before, and want to get to some more PvP. But my stance still stands, buying gold is just a cheap way of gaining the advantage over players.

@Nadril: i dont pvp very often, in fact i dont think i ever have before. so thats probably why i dont see it as a problem.

and i dont know if i explained it very well either. i dont think the game company selling items would work out to well. i think players selling items to other players is ok. that way, somebody spent the time to get that +7 sword. if someone just spends money and buys the sword, and uses it a pvp situation, it wouldnt matter because the player who made it would be using it if the player who bought it didnt.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

@Nadril: i dont pvp very often, in fact i dont think i ever have before. so thats probably why i dont see it as a problem.

and i dont know if i explained it very well either. i dont think the game company selling items would work out to well. i think players selling items to other players is ok. that way, somebody spent the time to get that +7 sword. if someone just spends money and buys the sword, and uses it a pvp situation, it wouldnt matter because the player who made it would be using it if the player who bought it didnt.

Lets say someone buy's adena. They can easy buy plenty of adena, from all different sources.

They than spend that money, and end up making a very powerful weapon. Alone no one with that same cash could have made that weapon. (and the buying a +7 sword directly was a bit of a wrong on my part, gold farmers just sell gold, not items). The thing is, is that the said player can get large ammounts of gold that any normal player would have problems with, and thus make a very powerful item.

Topic has been cleaned of flames.

Let's keep the topic civil.

Woah buddy, we had flames? And I didn't realize it?

aw man.. I always miss the good stuff. Thanks for the cleaning. :)

Woah buddy, we had flames? And I didn't realize it?

you mean you missed my post where i called you every bad name i could think of?

jk obviously :P

:( .

Hateful person you are.