why do rares keep increacing in price?

ikraz66

these days, inflation favors the rich, especially older players. The reason that so many new players complain about rares is because they cant afford them. Older and richer players started investing when rares were still affordable. i've been playing rs for about a year on f2p, but i still cant afford even an easter egg, although i have enough money now to buy a santa hat last year. most people miss a valid point now. The demand for rares isnt really increacing much anymore from the influx of new players, since anyone who cant afford a rare now probably never will. The reason the prices are going up is:

1) a few rares get banned or dropped. this isnt a very important reason, since it probably doesnt happen very often. However, the public perception that the number of rares is decreacing affects the price

2) money is going in to the game, since the value of gp keeps going down, naturally it takes more to buy a rare

*3) the biggest reason is that most people buy rares to make money and therefore they refuse to sell for less then they bought the rare

*4) the other biggest reason is that people are hoarding their rares instead of selling them. since fewer people are selling it seems like less rares exist and people are then willing to spend more for them

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

i remember a while back there was a guy who bought 100 pink party hats and quit. in RSC

WOAH. there must be something wrong with you then. :roll: PINK!?!

back to rs, i guess. it's been 4 months.

RSN:P H Osho <- gonna start on him soon, fresh.

i remember a while back there was a guy who bought 100 pink party hats and quit. in RSC

WOAH. there must be something wrong with you then. :roll: PINK!?!

Nope. When P-hats came out, purple p-hats were pink. When RS2 came out, they changed to purple.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

I'm an f2per who's been playing since just before the rubber chicken drop.

A little while ago, I bought a green mask.

Don't assume that people can't afford rares just because YOU can't. Yes it does get harder, but think of it this way:

Owning a rare is like being in the top 1000 players in runescape (the number here is irrelevant, but it needs to be a fixed number, since there is is a fixed maximum number of rares). As time passes, it becomes harder and harder to get into this list, as the people who ARE on it keep improving (raising the price of rares).

Yes the demand DOES go up, the price rises to compensate for that.

Let's say there are 10000 rares. Eventually, there will be more then 10000 people with the 1mil to buy said rares. People realize this, and up the price to 2mil (or however high these 1000 people can afford to pay)

Soon, more then 10k people have 2mil to spend on a rare, the price rises yet again.

Quit runescape, now playing EVE-Online(Mail Cambarus and say hi :mrgreen: )