LimeWire sued by the RIAA

zeekyhbomb

The mistake (deliberate or otherwise) that they are making is that they are counting every downloaded track as a lost sale, whereas in actuality in the majority of cases if the person weren't able to obtain the track for free then they wouldn't have bothered buying it.

This is certainly the case with me.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, so I'll ask anyway: what about classical music written by long-dead folk (EDIT: /whilst they were alive)?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mistake (deliberate or otherwise) that they are making is that they are counting every downloaded track as a lost sale, whereas in actuality in the majority of cases if the person weren't able to obtain the track for free then they wouldn't have bothered buying it.

This is certainly the case with me.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, so I'll ask anyway: what about classical music written by long-dead folk (EDIT: /whilst they were alive)?

Pretty much anything

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

Pretty much anything

The composition is but the performance isn't.

I seem to remember that composers' families get royalties for 100 years after their deaths (at least here). As for the performance I believe the rights to that are owned by the performer(s).

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

The fact is that most artists main source of income is from concert ticket sales. The CDs almost make them nothing, except the real popular ones. If their (non-popular artists) songs can't be downloaded, then they most likely will not benefit from that at all. In fact, if their songs are downloaded by people, chances are that they are benefiting and gaining more money in the long term from it.

In fact, if their songs are downloaded by people, chances are that they are benefiting and gaining more money in the long term from it.

Got any proof for that? Or for that matter, any evidence to even suggest it? Or is it just a futile attempt to try and justify piracy.

I don't have a problem with people who realise piracy can harm people but decide to do it anyway (myself included, 20,000 tracks), but to try and weasel out of any moral responsibility by pretending to yourself that it is justified is just pathetic.

As a big bad scurvy pirate the reason I have got plenty of music is not 'because I wouldn't have paid for it anyway', 'because it doesn't harm artists' or 'because my money would only go to the RIAA'. It is because I can't afford to buy ~ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã20,000 worth of music, the method to get hold of it illicitly is sat right in front of me and it is 99.9% certain I won't face any consequences ever.

Insane says 'do without if you can't afford it', I say 'if I can't afford it but the means to get it for free are there and a cost:benefit analysis shows that the cost of being mildly immoral is far outweighed by the benefit of having free music then I'm willing to make that trade'.

If I think a band/artist/game designer deserves my money I make sure they get it.

NB: It may seem like I'm a hipocrite but the fact is I don't like the propagation of false information. Much in the same way I will attempt to dispell the myths that anti-drug posters regurgitate on drugs-related topics - I don't like drugs but I don't like lies either.

In fact, if their songs are downloaded by people, chances are that they are benefiting and gaining more money in the long term from it.

Got any proof for that? Or for that matter, any evidence to even suggest it? Or is it just a futile attempt to try and justify piracy.

Geting defensive arn't we makes me wonder.

Read my post, nincompoop.

What we have encountered is an area where it is so easy to do something like this with no immediate consequences that millions of people are choosing to do it, ignoring the moral side. This could have a few outcomes, it could (unlikely seeing as digital music sales are prospering long after this influx of piracy) destroy the music industry and we'll live in a world without music, or it could force the music industry to rely on other sources for their income such as performances.

u stoped laarning to red and rite in grde to maek me woender!?

Is it illegal in Australia? Well I really don't see the problem with it I mean, wow now *insert artist here* can't buy another 3million dollar mansion? Rolling Eyes

If you think every musical artist has millions of dollars to spend then you really are ignorant. But thank you, you've reminded me of another fallacious argument to add to my sorry list.

summerpngwy6.jpg

u stoped laarning to red and rite in grde to maek me woender!?

If I had a good example maybe i'd learn.

They're not exploiting anybody, they're simply taking what they deserve from a select few.

In the Limewire case I would hardly call $150,000 per traded file something they deserve. They're just trying to make as much money with their high priced lawyers as they can. If they can sue more people faster, I bet you they would.

Anyways, music sales haven't gone down much in the first place. The record companies are still complaining about loss of CD sales even though they are making more money in other mediums.

Tetsuya.png

I'm pretty much against downloading music. Although I can see a little bit of the other side so I'm sort of on the fence leaning heavily towards no downloading if that makes sense.

@insane- You forgot the argument "I just want to hear the song to see If I like the band or the album"

I say that most people won't even buy the album once they get that hit song downloaded. If you want to hear the song go to amazon.com or look other places online for it.

Personaly, i'm going to keep on downloading (I don't use limewire :P).

A lot of the bands I end up downloading, however, I can't find in any retail stores. I'd love to buy their CD's, but it's hard when you can't find a decent metal band in the mall >_<.

I love to collect the CD's, and as such if I ever see a good CD when i'm out i'll buy it (if I have the cash). However, like I said, I realy don't have any other way to obtain them (other than ordering the actual CD online and having to pay some realy bad shipping costs.)

And don't say iTunes either, they aren't on it.

I try to buy the CD's, but I don't really make that much cash. In fact I would rather have the orginal CD for the Artwork on case and CD itself lol :). Anyways I heard a long time ago, Kazaa got away because they said "Whats the difference of a kid borrowing a CD from a friend than downloading from our program?".

Anyways a while back I had a band and I dileberatly put them on a P2P network for people to download lol. Could I get sued for that ;)?

cyco_1.jpg

im also the kind of person who used hide ip platinum \' \' gonna be a LONG trip to malaysia

Which leads us back again to: why pay for a program which you can do easily for free.

Laziness.

i dont pay for anything on the internet except for runescape

The world would be a whole lot better if little green men in UFO's came down to earth to abduct rednecks.

im also the kind of person who used hide ip platinum \' \' gonna be a LONG trip to malaysia

Which leads us back again to: why pay for a program which you can do easily for free.

Laziness.

i dont pay for anything on the internet except for runescape

Were not talking about runescape. Were talking about a program called limewire where youy download music for free, and haveing a good old fashined flaming war while were at it. ::'

This is an interesting topic.

But I mean really, there is no way it is going to stop. So do you think the 20.000 cases out of how many downloaders and soon-to-be downloaders are affected if they themselves dont get a suit? I dont think so.

My excuse for downloading: I just want to fit in.

That and i really don't think certain artists deserve to be paid money for the junk they release.

And no, i am not saying that justifys piracy

Edit: Oh yeah. Anyone who uses that crap program limewire deserves to be sued

mcchrissigaw8.gif

Everybody lovin' it, but ain't no body touchin' it

Good excuse =D>. Mine is uhh i'll tell you when i think of it. Tell then i will continue to use limewire at my will and nothing ppl say is gonna stop me.

That is unless they say "we will arest anyone using limewire." I realy don't think it's gonna happen though.

A lot of the bands I end up downloading, however, I can't find in any retail stores. I'd love to buy their CD's, but it's hard when you can't find a decent metal band in the mall >_<.

I have the same trouble.

It's hard to find some CD's here for some of the band's I like.

So I maybe download a song or two, and if I really like it, I'll try to buy it online.

Wha.. What..? Where am I?

I have the same trouble.

So I maybe download a song or two, and if I really like it, I'll try to buy it online.

Which brings us back to the point, why buy it if you can get it for free?

I have the same trouble.

Because some people feel that no matter how much the artist ends up receiving that they deserve to have a portion of the persons money, because they like that artist.

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

I think bittorrent is the solution

since it is not a single network but many

unfortunatly the trackers are sitting ducks.

Everyone knows RIAA had a hand in the mongo56 tracker going offline.

i think users need to start making use of VPN services to aviod being tracked so easily.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

I think bittorrent is the solution

since it is not a single network but many

unfortunatly the trackers are sitting ducks.

Everyone knows RIAA had a hand in the mongo56 tracker going offline.

i think users need to start making use of VPN services to aviod being tracked so easily.

I've never heard of that tell me more.

i know it's sad but o well p.s. never mind i googled it

I have the same trouble.

If I like the band, and like the music they play, I'm going to support them, so they can make more music.

So me buying their CD, pays for, tours, recording, ect.

Wha.. What..? Where am I?

They're not exploiting anybody, they're simply taking what they deserve from a select few.

In the Limewire case I would hardly call $150,000 per traded file something they deserve. They're just trying to make as much money with their high priced lawyers as they can. If they can sue more people faster, I bet you they would.

Again, I agreed that the RIAA is doing it for their own personal gain - I was merely pointing out that I enjoyed the fact that the end result is that recording artists are being stood up for, however indirect it may be.

Anyways, music sales haven't gone down much in the first place. The record companies are still complaining about loss of CD sales even though they are making more money in other mediums.

Can you back this up with a shred of real evidence?

This is a paper written by a professor at a University in Dallas - inside the paper there are a few graphs, all that show a large decrease in album sales first starting in 1999; the first year that P2P became extremely popular.

Just something to think about. If you can provide evidence supporting the contrary, I'd love to see it.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Can you back this up with a shred of real evidence?

This is a paper written by a professor at a University in Dallas - inside the paper there are a few graphs, all that show a large decrease in album sales first starting in 1999; the first year that P2P became extremely popular.

Just something to think about. If you can provide evidence supporting the contrary, I'd love to see it.

The RIAA blaming piracy for downfalls of sales isnt new. In the 80's they blamed piracy for downfalls in sales of vinyl albums.

Anyways, other than the obvious with record high in mp3 sales on legal sites like itunes. People don't go out and buy cds as much as they used to.

Also, although the record companies have been making less new releases. They have been making record profits on each new release.

http://www.azoz.com/music/features/0008.html

Tetsuya.png