Kill Nested Quotes

I know that this has been posted before, but I've done an extensive search and can't find it anywhere.

Basically what I'm suggesting is a forum mod that would automatically make it so that quotes are only 1 deep, do you don't have to scroll-down half a page to see a 10-deep nested quote that doesn't even really matter anymore.

Opinions?

IRKAa.jpg

I suggested it a while ago and it was implemented for a while too. The problem was it didn't remove nested quotes, it removed all but the first part of the quote I think. I guess Albosky never got round to modifying it, or was too busy.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Last part... so if you had say...

dasfjlda fjkldaf kjl;afjdklf;jad

/quote

asdfj;ladfj jladf kl;jdaf kljdaf

sadfd asfda fd afd f

dafdsa fdafda f

dafdaf

/quote

aaa bbb ccc

aaa bbb ccc wouould be all that turned up if someone quoted that post. So it got annoying for debating topics where people would breakdown topics, if you wanted to reply to their counter comments, you'd have to manually copy+past each one.

If they make it work - i'm all for it.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump an old topic. But is it possible this could be considered again?

If you look at some pages e.g. Page 11 of the Hidden Update in General P2P the page mostly consists of quotes.

I know this is the posters fault for not deleting the obsolete quotes but is there anyway to remove this?

Thanks

why implement some lame code which doesnt work. just make it a rule to not nest more than twice or your post gets deleted?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

why implement some lame code which doesnt work. just make it a rule to not nest more than twice or your post gets deleted?

I'd love to implement that. Unfortunately I don't think I'd get away with it.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

That would mean that people would have to do additional work towards their posts. They'd have to take the automatic actions of the Quote button and change them so that clicking the button didn't have them breaking the rules.

Perhaps it should be said that you should not nest more than 2 quotes if those quotes go off the same page.

What I mean is if you are quoting on the same page, only nest like maybe the last 2 quotes, but if you fall off the page, them maybe leeway for 3 nested quotes would be allowed...

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

I can understand quoting someone who posted a few post before in a topic. But would it be possible to enforce a rule where you cannot quote the person immediately above you? I dont see the point in doing this unless the person was on the previous page. Otherwise you have (hopefully) just read the above post and do not wish to have to read it again.

As I see it, the problem is not only the nested quotes, the problem is also that people often are too lazy to edit out the non-relevant parts of the post they quote - and that is what makes the nested quotes so horrible to read.

Please think before you ask a question. If you ask the right question, its much more likely you get the answer you are looking for :)

Gugge.png

Moly.png

As I see it, the problem is not only the nested quotes, the problem is also that people often are too lazy to edit out the non-relevant parts of the post they quote - and that is what makes the nested quotes so horrible to read.

Agreed... Say the topic was (extremely random) Kittens are cute. 5 quotes later someone puts in the side note "Puppies are cute as well" and we then get 3 more nest quotes about puppies while the quotes about kittens sit there meaninglessly as well...

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

Maybe people just need to learn some "common sense" then? :-s

This kind of thing was tried before, and failed due to the problems any kind of forced software piece presents. (On the side, I've encountered similar problems with VBulletin and its' own built-in features.) :|

Put simply, like Gugge said indirectly, people need to quit being lazy and they need to only use the parts of quotes that are relevant, so that no forced software piece will be needed

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Nested quotes are not necessarily the problem - long quotes are the problem. It's just that usually there aren't many long posts, and as such they rarely get quoted. However, it's a pain equally as much when someone quotes a huge post as when someone quotes 5 nested quotes.

Perhaps a character limit on quotes could work? :-?

Perhaps a character limit on quotes could work? :-?

I don't know. I could see that causing a problem, just like this nasty 255 character limit on everyone's siggys. Somehow, I reached it when i needed approximately about 45 characters more of space... :( ...I might start a thread regarding that...

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)