stem cell research

warri0r45

Recently i heard on the news that in the UK, scientists are on the verge of curing the often permanent brain injuries sustained during a stroke with the use of stem cells cultivated from an aborted embryo.

I know this is a touchy subject, but i cant help but sigh every time ethics stands in the way of potentailly life-saving science. Is it just me or does the mission of making the world a better place seem to be constantly interupted by those who cant help but stick thier nose in other peoples affairs. After all, its not thier embryo being killed.

It should really be the donors choice (and no one elses) to give thier eggs/sperm/aborted embryos to aid in stem cell research.

What do you think?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently i heard on the news that in the UK, scientists are on the verge of curing the often permanent brain injuries sustained during a stroke with the use of stem cells cultivated from an aborted embryo.

I know this is a touchy subject, but i cant help but sigh every time ethics stands in the way of potentailly life-saving science. Is it just me or does the mission of making the world a better place seem to be constantly interupted by those who cant help but stick thier nose in other peoples affairs. After all, its not thier embryo being killed.

It should really be the donors choice (and no one elses) to give thier eggs/sperm/aborted embryos to aid in stem cell research.

What do you think?

i agree on all accounts there i think :-)

ethics does stand in the way sometimes, and if you look back at some very important/influential studies/experiments, quite a few of them are pretty unethical. (for example the Milgram Experiment)

I am not saying that ethics are not very important, however.

it should be the donors choice ofc...

babelfish - level 180 60th place

strongguy - level 173 69th place

i agree on all accounts there i think

ethics does stand in the way sometimes, and if you look back at some very important/influential studies/experiments, quite a few of them are pretty unethical. (for example the Milgram Experiment)

I am not saying that ethics are not very important, however.

it should be the donors choice ofc...

thanks for your input, not familiar with that experiment but, ill look it up now.

I"m on the same viewpoint as you.

As long as its ok with the person who actualy got the abortion/whatever I can't see how it would be very wrong anymore to put it to good use.

By all means though, if you don't want it being used say so. Its kind of like the organ doner idea in a lot of ways.

Jesus doesnt think its okay

I think its really inhumane, why bother altering the nature cycle of life?

Yeah, why bother creating medicine that can save peoples lives. Why bother creating anything that helps with taking care of your self or curing yourself of disease. We should just live all natrualy without any of this medicinal stuff.

Honestly dude. And anyways, if the fetus is already aborted why not use it for something useful, instead of just throwing it away?

I just look at it this way - If I was in that situation and someone told me that the only way to make my life semi-normal (Or normal again I don't know how this works) was to use of those dead embyro's and do whatever they do, I'm pretty sure I would say "Just do whatever you have to". I couldn't see myself turning down the opportunity to be normal again if I was in that situation.

srequest2me.jpg

I am an Atheist, and I take pride in it.

why bother altering the nature cycle of life?

to spare desperate mothers and unwanted children years of heartache and disadvantage.

kind of like the organ doner idea in a lot of ways.

good point.

Yeah, why bother creating medicine that can save peoples lives. Why bother creating anything that helps with taking care of your self or curing yourself of disease. We should just live all natrualy without any of this medicinal stuff.

exactly, if people say that this is 'playing god' then by thier logic, taking a pain killer is playing god, because it 'goes against nature' ...

If I was in that situation and someone told me that the only way to make my life semi-normal (Or normal again I don't know how this works) was to use of those dead embyro's and do whatever they do, I'm pretty sure I would say "Just do whatever you have to"

another good point made, it would be interesting to see how a 'pro-life' advocate would react if they had parkinsons and a doctor said that they could cure it with stem cells... its a real possibility with this new technology and where scientists are taking it.

I'm pretty sure Jesus had no stance on something he didn't know exsisted. That being stem cells, and the research of them.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Guest GhostRanger

Jesus doesnt think its okay

I think its really inhumane, why bother altering the nature cycle of life?

Honestly dude. And anyways, if the fetus is already aborted why not use it for something useful, instead of just throwing it away?

Just to answer your question in a different way... a lot of environmental ethicists are claiming the problems with our environment stem from population problems and would be more easily fixable if we quit trying to cure natural population reducers. The well-being of our planet is ultimately, of course, the well being of humanity.

I'm all for it. Anything thats gonna save lives is worth it

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I'm all for it too. If chopping up a load of genetic data we'd just incinerate anyway can save lives and everything else they reakon it can do, jesus can hope on his bike and ride it.

I think we should know where to draw the line though.

logo.jpg

If chopping up a load of genetic data we'd just incinerate anyway can save lives and everything else they reakon it can do, jesus can hope on his bike and ride it.

This is not how it works! (not meaning jesus and a bike ride.... :P )

Stemcell treatment is NOT full proof. It is still highly overrated, and by NO MEANS 100% successfull. 1% is more accurate I think. It is not a standart treatment, and only experimental clinical trials are running at the moment. In these trials, selected groups of patients are "recruited" to undergo this treatment. It is in NO way representable to "any person".

Therefore, more research needs to be done. If left-over embyos are used for that (with donor approval) I'm pro! Also, these embryos are little more then a clump of cells (about <100 cells) so no chopping up of human beings is involved. A fetus is a FAR more matured unborn child, unlike an embryo.

Dead embryos are per definition unusable, I mean come on, we can't bring stuff back from the dead! The material used in these studies are usually left over embryos from IVF treatments, NOT from abortions!

But I'm in the PRO-camp....even making a living on it! :thumbsup:

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

ooh righty, scuse my ignorance then hahah. i still stand by jesus riding a bike though.

I still think that with enough research it can benefit mankind hugely, therefore i'm pro, but there's certain things that maybe shouldnt be tampered with. I won't post examples because they'll be things like people growing another pair of arms etc, and that's probably not what it's capable of.

But yeah tbh, any treatment that can benefit us that greatly should be researched.

logo.jpg

Guest GhostRanger
I'm all for stem cell research. I'm not a fan of children anyway :x

regressive1.gif

Against abortion. For killing babies.

If chopping up a load of genetic data we'd just incinerate anyway can save lives and everything else they reakon it can do, jesus can hope on his bike and ride it.

This is not how it works! (not meaning jesus and a bike ride.... :P )

Stemcell treatment is NOT full proof. It is still highly overrated, and by NO MEANS 100% successfull. 1% is more accurate I think. It is not a standart treatment, and only experimental clinical trials are running at the moment. In these trials, selected groups of patients are "recruited" to undergo this treatment. It is in NO way representable to "any person".

Therefore, more research needs to be done. If left-over embyos are used for that (with donor approval) I'm pro! Also, these embryos are little more then a clump of cells (about <100 cells) so no chopping up of human beings is involved. A fetus is a FAR more matured unborn child, unlike an embryo.

Dead embryos are per definition unusable, I mean come on, we can't bring stuff back from the dead! The material used in these studies are usually left over embryos from IVF treatments, NOT from abortions!

But I'm in the PRO-camp....even making a living on it! :thumbsup:

It's pretty darn close to 100%. Stem cells have been found to be able to create ANY cell in the human body. They have even fused the spinal cord of a lab rat and it was able to walk again.

Pretty close, if you ask me.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Guest GhostRanger

^ Embryonic stem cell research has yielded absolutely no results concerning medical benefits - and that is the only type of stem cell research that is controversial.

We don't NEED emryotic stem cells, but until abortion is illegal, we should use them. Why just throw them away? They died in vain then. One could argue they'd die in vain either way, but if they help save a life, then their life wasn't a waste.

I'm sure emryotic stem cells have had success. The stem cells in emryo's and your spinal fluid are essentially the same as far as I know of.

But no, we don't NEED them.

- Me!

Guest GhostRanger
We don't NEED emryotic stem cells, but until abortion is illegal, we should use them. Why just throw them away? They died in vain then. One could argue they'd die in vain either way, but if they help save a life, then their life wasn't a waste.

I'm sure emryotic stem cells have had success. The stem cells in emryo's and your spinal fluid are essentially the same as far as I know of.

But no, we don't NEED them.

What is with all your posts recently where you talk about things "You're sure of" without actually looking anything up?

"I'm pretty sure blah blah blah..." Who cares?

I guess it depends on your view of abortion, and whether that is ethical or not.

Does embryonical stem cell research actually involvs aborting fetuses?

Someone hit me with a source?

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

I'm pretty sure Jesus had no stance on something he didn't know exsisted. That being stem cells, and the research of them.

I'm pretty sure Jesus doesn't exist...

If someone chooses to abort their unborn child, then you might as well try to use it to better someone else's life. No point in letting it go to waste, right? Besides, it's not as if there's a facility constantly harvesting fetuses out of a woman, it's purely choice.

sorry bros i'm not mexican

Guest GhostRanger

I'm pretty sure Jesus doesn't exist...

Then you're pretty ignorant.