Stumped Teacher.

fgfuyfyuiuy0

seems to me that you just wanted an opportunity to show off to a bunch of 13 year olds what you just learned and to flaunt your "critical thinking" abilities. well you did it!

what a sorry excuse for a topic

I'm sure it's a better topic than you could make up ;)

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems to me that you just wanted an opportunity to show off to a bunch of 13 year olds what you just learned and to flaunt your "critical thinking" abilities. well you did it!

I'm sure it's a better topic than you could make up ;)

you know what? it probably is. that's why you don't see making topics.

67th member to join Tip.it

99 Attack

99 Strength

99 Defense

99 Hitpoints

99 Mage

99 Range

99 Summoning

99 Slayer

99 Prayer

Well, I am so glad this has turned into a flame fest. Flame Mignon anyone?

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.

Add me on Xbox Live and mention you are from Tif :D

take it as criticism rather than a flame. dont kill yourself over it

99 Attack

99 Strength

99 Defense

99 Hitpoints

99 Mage

99 Range

99 Summoning

99 Slayer

99 Prayer

-Sets down knife- Get over yourself. It is considered a flame. If you would've read my other posts instead of jumping about, you would've realized I was asking a question. I wasn't trying to make my teacher look like an idiot. "what a sorry excuse for a topic". That's some real criticism you got there :roll:

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.

-Sets down knife- Get over yourself. It is considered a flame. If you would've read my other posts instead of jumping about, you would've realized I was asking a question. I wasn't trying to make my teacher look like an idiot. "what a sorry excuse for a topic". That's some real criticism you got there :roll:

life's tough kid. get used to it. i don't care if it's a flame or not, i'm not the one moaning about it, you are.

99 Attack

99 Strength

99 Defense

99 Hitpoints

99 Mage

99 Range

99 Summoning

99 Slayer

99 Prayer

the problem isn't that you asked a question, its that you were a total [wagon] about it afterwards. you admitted that you felt good about yourself for proving a teacher wrong, and went on to imagine the teacher freaking out about it. whether or not the last part was a joke does not matter, since you had the capacity to think of it, and post of it on these boards

and i don't think smores is the only one criticising you.

life's tough kid. get used to it. i don't care if it's a flame or not, i'm not the one moaning about it, you are.

I don't see any moaning anwhere :)

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.

The problem isn't that you asked a question, it's that you were a total [wagon] about it afterwards. You admitted that you felt good about yourself for proving a teacher wrong, and went on to imagine the teacher freaking out about it. Whether or not the last part was a joke does not matter, since you had the capacity to think of it, and post of it on these boards.

I don't think Smores is the only one criticising you.

Who said he wasn't the only one criticising? I was only posting what happened, and asking if other board members if they would ask the question, and actually get a reply :wink: BTW, I'm gonna edit your post because I have a pet peve when people don't capatalize, and such.

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.

Due to the structure of the bases, they can only bond to certain sizes.

from memory (just finished yr 12 bio) nucleotides can mis-pair which is what gives rise to mutations in the genetic code and therefore the organism.

These mutations are actually the integral mechanism in evolution. (the mutaions which make the organism more suited to its environment/resistant to disease/predation will ensure that that organism is naturally selected, if you believe in the darwinian concept of evolution [the main one])

i find genetics is an incredibly interesting branch of science

What do you want, a medal?

It isn't that big of a deal. You stumped a teacher on a ridiculously easy question. Thymine CANT bond with Thymine. I am surprised your teacher did not know that. By the way, this does not make you smarter than the teacher.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

It isn't that big of a deal. You stumped a teacher on a ridiculously easy question. Thymine CANT bond with Thymine. I am surprised your teacher did not know that. By the way, this does not make you smarter than the teacher.

What's wrong with hypothetics? Since they can take an electron off of the noble gasses, they might be able to get thymine and thymine to bond together

What's wrong with hypothetics? Since they can take an electron off of the noble gasses, they might be able to get thymine and thymine to bond together

Okay:

Prof: Naturally, Thymine and Thymine cannot bond together. They MAY be able to bond together in a lab. Why don't you do a two page essay on it and bring it in tomorrow so you can enlighten us on why Thymine does not bond with Thymine naturally and if there has been any research done on bonding Thymine and Thymine?

Better answer?

dmanxb7.jpg

Okay:

Prof: Naturally, Thymine and Thymine cannot bond together. They MAY be able to bond together in a lab. Why don't you do a two page essay on it and bring it in tomorrow so you can enlighten us on why Thymine does not bond with Thymine naturally and if there has been any research done on bonding Thymine and Thymine?

Better answer?

Way to miss the point.

My biology teacher is incredibly knowledgeable about biology. He insists on teaching us the A2 level syllabus even though we're only doing GCSE. I've only ever managed to ask him one question which he didn't know the answer to. Most teachers at my school like it when we challenge them.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Okay:

Better answer?

Way to miss the point.

Yer, this is what I got off of your statement.

You said: It might be possible for Thymine to bond with Thymine in a lab or something like that.

My response: Yeah they can, but naturally, it does not happen. I believe this was previously explained. I just added stuff. Either you did not understand what I said for whatever reason that may be, or I did not get what I was supposed to from your post (not exactly my fault).

dmanxb7.jpg

Actually, it's because the Thymine molecule's design only allows it to form hydrogen bridges (I don't know if that's the correct term for it, I translated it directly from the Dutch 'waterstofbruggen') with Adenine molecules. These hydrogen bridges are what keep the two strands of DNA attached to each other, so if they can't be formed then the strands won't be bound together.

The term you're looking for is Hydrogen Bonds. I read through this entire thread, the flaming etc. and no one posted the most correct answer. This guy came the closest.

from memory (just finished yr 12 bio) nucleotides can mis-pair which is what gives rise to mutations in the genetic code and therefore the organism.

These mutations are actually the integral mechanism in evolution. (the mutaions which make the organism more suited to its environment/resistant to disease/predation will ensure that that organism is naturally selected.

What actually happens is that sometimes, an outside force (whether it be a cosmic ray/radiation, free radicals, etc.) strikes a bonded base pair, such as GT, and changes one of the bases, resulting in something like TT. Though the pair does not bond, it does make a mutation. The effect is similar to a zipper skipping a tooth; the teeth before and after that pair are linked but that particular pair of teeth does not interlock. You don't need a bonded base pair for it to be a gene, the absence of a pair can be a gene as well. This is the reason why exposure to radiation and free radicals tend to increase your chances of cancer; the more radiation, the more mismatched pairs.

On the topic of your stumping a teacher: Good for you. I must admit though I have the greatest respect for a teacher who can admit that they do not know instead of making up some BS excuse. Let's face it, as teenagers, we can smell when a teacher is lying. :wink:

superawesomesiggynessck6.jpg

Imhomer.png

Okay:

Better answer?

Way to miss the point.

Yer, this is what I got off of your statement.

You said: It might be possible for Thymine to bond with Thymine in a lab or something like that.

My response: Yeah they can, but naturally, it does not happen. I believe this was previously explained. I just added stuff. Either you did not understand what I said for whatever reason that may be, or I did not get what I was supposed to from your post (not exactly my fault).

Alright(this is going to come out bad since I'm not really sure how to explain it D=), usually -good- teachers don't act like your example. It could have been done in a lab, but the teach didn't know if it had been done, which is why he said I don't know. In your example the teacher was an [wagon] and decided that the kid was just being a smart [wagon](which isn't what he was trying to be and I think the teacher realized that)., and I don't know how to end this post >_>