Creating Steam

jayc3399

I'm working on my very first pixel sig, I've done some drawing and stuff with others but nothing that would be defined as a pixil. But What ever. I need some help making like a greenish steam colour, I'm using photoshop cs2. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

I am using cs2, I just can't figure out how to make steam, like so it is knida see through and stuff.

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

its a pixel sig as long as it isn't brushed you can set it to 1px in photoshop it doesn't have to be in paint. But if you're looking for a brush its not considered one. If you want a certain color just go into where all the colors are.

HipHop.png

TheDark or Kevinnv on other forums.

Then it would be considered brushed.

You have to try to find a color that is in-between the steam color and the color of whatever is behind it, so add a grey (or steam color) tone to whatever color it is and it should work well.

Also, you can pixel in photoshop. It is currently what i use, seeing as i lost paint =(...i think i accidently deleted it, and there is nowhere to install it from, so yeah.

monkeys.jpeg

thanks everyone for the sigs!

To draw semi-transparent stuff, I kinda dither a steam-colour over the area which is covered by the steam. It works for me... try it. :|

Despaxes, Nazgul had the same problem a few weeks ago, and Sue kindly offered this link, and he managed to install it again. :D

Faelenof.jpeg

Pixel Artist - Former Player Mod - Former Tip.It Mod

Not taking sig requests - sorry!

how is it brushed? you pixel it all like a normal image, you just lower the opacity of it, its still pixeled. thats kinda like saying transparent parts in a pixel sig makes then brushed, even tho its still all pixeled....

PJB21

sigpjb2101sigdy6.png

100% my own work, i make my own brushes: set 1 set 2

Because in Ms Paint, if you want to make something slightly transparent, it takes alot of work to get it to work effectively, whereas in Photoshop, making anything transparent is just a few clicks of the mouse away. <.<

Writing in colour was fun while it lasted...

The Tip.It. Furry! :D HappyWolf.png

are we forgetting what a pixel is? it isnt an image made in paint, no no!

a pixel can be made in photoshop, paint shop pro, anything as long as you can place each pixel one by one, in creating the steam you are doing exactly that. you simple use other features in more advanced programs so its easyier to do. its still a pixel, you still pixeled it all, then you used an aspect of another more advanced program to get the desired effect. its not like your blurring it, nor are you brushing, auto AAing or dithering, its still a piece that you pixeled. therefore it is still a pixel, just more clear.

PJB21

sigpjb2101sigdy6.png

100% my own work, i make my own brushes: set 1 set 2

then you used an aspect of another more advanced program to get the desired effect.

Exactly.

Why do you think brushing/blurring/burning/dodging/ makes it a brushed piece and not a true pixel? It is because you used the program to create the desired effect and auto choose a color for you. All lowering the opacity does is set the current color choice to a tone of the underlying material. Only you arent doing it.

Therefore it is no longer a pixel.

monkeys.jpeg

then you used an aspect of another more advanced program to get the desired effect.

Exactly.

Why do you think brushing/blurring/burning/dodging/ makes it a brushed piece and not a true pixel? It is because you used the program to create the desired effect and auto choose a color for you. All lowering the opacity does is set the current color choice to a tone of the underlying material. Only you arent doing it.

Therefore it is no longer a pixel.

Except using Photoshop does not mean you have to use the brushing/blurring/burning/dodging or other filter tools.. You can only stick to the pencil if you desire. Basically what you are implying is that someone without MS Paint cannot create a pixel picture. So what about those of us who don't own that specific program? Are we just going to have to live out our lives making "fake" pixel pictures in Photoshop? No.

We can still create a pixel picture in Photoshop as long as we only use the pencil tool. Lowering the opacity in one layer doesn't mean that it's suddenly not a pixel picture. You're still only using the pencil tool, just taking advantage of the more advanced features in the program. Just because it's harder in one program (MS Paint) than in another (Photoshop), doesn't meant that you simply cannot create a pixel picture in the easier one..

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Just because it's harder in one program (MS Paint) than in another (Photoshop), doesn't meant that you simply cannot create a pixel picture in the easier one..

I understand, i myself said that i use photoshop. However, i believe that using opacity setting does make it no longer a pixel as it would be just like using dodge or burn. It is just auto choosing colors to create a desired effect.

Despaxes by what your saying using the layers feature would also make an image "not a true pixel" which is a load of bull. As long as its done pixel by pixel, no one gives a damn.

That is completely different. That would be like me saying in order to be a fruit it must have seeds, and you saying i said if it has seeds it must be a fruit.

Layers do not choose colors for you, it can make it easier, but it doesnt do much work for you. Opacity changing chooses the colors for you, it would be just like using a gradient tool. It would no longer be a pixel.

monkeys.jpeg

Hmm.. Post your progress too?

And use CS2 if you, no one is saying you are forced to use Paint.

I made my pixel of my friend. (The one that got jpg'ed) in CS2.

Offtopic, thanks for ref :D

For all the people who said I am not making a pixil im assuming you mean that I'm just croping an pasting images. Which I am NOT. each pixil placed specifically.

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items