Free internet access anywhere in the world

BlueLancer

I wonder if anybody here has heard or is already a user of FON. Check it out at http://en.fon.com/

I'm wondering, what's their ultimate long term business plan? Here comes the tricky part... They will send a wireless WiFi router to anywhere in the world, free of charge in order to enlarge their community. I saw this featured in at least two magazines.

Well, I went ahead and tried it, and surprise, the router actually arrived to my home yesterday via TNT courier. It's quite useful since I have a laptop. So how does it work? Well, supposedly, you offer free WLAN connection to people living near to you, and in exchange, you get to use free WLAN anywhere in the world with FON connection.

It would be great to hear if anybody has been using this. And yes, you can order it for $0 and re-sell it to some poor soul. :P Even if the site says something like $30, it's a special promotion free of charge.

It's an interesting idea. I'm not sure how it'd work out though, be nice if someone could test it to see how it runs.

Off topic: Gratz on becoming a mod BlueLancer :)

So you set up a wireless router and connect it to your internet line, and let everyone who also does this use it? In exchange, you will be able to use everyone else's who is also part of this program. That is my understanding of it. And yep, it sounds like a good idea. I don't see it catching on around here though, no one is close enough to my house to be able to use it.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

So wait, you can only get the signals from others with the router?? Nevermind, I thought you could get huge long distance connections. If so, I'd use it in our middle of nowhere cabin in Maine. But I bet nobody else where we live has this :x

Why don't we all just make our routers public??

It's the same thing. :P

Yea grats on your mod-ship, I think you deserve it :D .

Anyways I heard about something like this happening just within like a 20 mile area near me, but not world-wide :shock: .

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

They don't seem to be interested in Brazil. :(

It is a nice idea though. In my opinion, that's how things will naturally evolve to be in the future.

Pandaman115: I don't.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me