Give users the opportunity to lock their own threads

This worked beautifully on another forum I used to be active on. When you edited the fist post in a thread, there was a check box to lock it. This would really help if a flamefest starts in a thread and you want to stop it. It would also make it less work for you guys. :thumbsup:

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png

i thought you could already do this?

i got no current topics going so i can't check.

Also i think this could go either way but before i spend my time answering, lets get some verification.

Thought you were Bubsa then :-k

Don't think you can do this but it would help the mods a lot and stop flaming...

smudgerequestredbluesigxs5.png

Check out my blog here!

Thanks Jopie211 for the sig

Use the report topic button to have your topic locked, it usually takes a very short amount of time.

I agree with Cameron. I know the process of what happens, and moderators know when something is reported.

~Rcty

Rcty

i thought you could already do this?

i got no current topics going so i can't check.

Also i think this could go either way but before i spend my time answering, lets get some verification.

OH my god, you stole Bubsa's.... nevermind.

On-topic: I don't think its a good idea, let's leave it to the Moderators who are quite capable of finding flame battles.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

I do not think we should we be allowed to close our own topics, problems will rise from that. Some members will close there topic for no reason and some will misuse the feature.

Unless we have a new Status like Advanced Member for dedicated members, I do not think this should be used.

If there are flames in the post and you want it closed, then you can just report and tell a moderator.

An interesting idea, but I don't think it's quite necessary. A few of the previous posters explained a few problematic situations that could occur. There's almost always at least one moderator on at a time. Simply change your title to something like, "Lock Please" and/or report your own post, stating you'd like it to be locked and one of us will take care of it for you :wink:

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Simply change your title to something like, "Lock Please"
Please don't, that means that the topic title is useless for people to decide if they want to read the topic (yes, reading topics can still be interesting, even if you can't reply.)

And if this idea would be done that scenario would be fixed, but I'm sure far more misuse would occur such as in closing topic when the author gets the last word which could be very misleading and hurtful!

Anyways an example could be are virus living or non-living things and the author posts last and states that the reason for the closing is because the question has been answered by fellow posters and the answer is no they aren't, seeing how much confusion or drama this could cause, you get the picture. Even if it was unintentional too.

About that dedicated member thing, i would highly disagree with this, you'd have spamming increase by 10 fold! or more! If you made dedicated member 500 posts spam would be very heavy to the 2k+ posts spam would be less but would increase dramatically.

There are a whole bunch of other theories that may occur if this were to happen, but they're very poorly supported, and the biggest one has been highlighted, along with another imo.

The good things that may happen might be better posting, less flame, more responsible posting but i doubt cause teenagers(including myself) are the most highly populated and well TEENAGERS explain myself quite well.*not to say all teenagers are like this*

And i didn't steal anything i goggled this and i made sure copyright laws didn't apply, I've had this avatar flash/java w.e. the heck it is in my pictures for sometime, i only added it now cause i updated and fixed my folders recently....i would not rip anything. in fact i had no idea who bubsa was until infamous had told me.

I dont find this anyhow necessary :-s

Why? IMHO replies above me are pretty much why :/

And i thinks this has been suggested before and been denied =/

[/url]">i_had_a_deal.png
[4Th in Finland to achieve 99 mining. 3Rd of June 2007]

Pixels make me horny.

No, because sometimes users may not like replies from other users, so they'd abuse the lock power by not allowing people to post replies that don't break rules.

Remember you can just report a topic if you think it needs locking.

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

No, because people would just lock threads (especially in OT) because they are losing a debate which they wouldn't be able to win. And just say they weren't up for an argument. The function would just be abused.

• 3 weeks later...

I also strongly disagree with allowing users to lock their own posts. In my view the thread starter has no more rights over the content of a thread then any other user who decides to post or read it. If they disagree with the direction the thread is heading they should simply stop reading it.

Back when I was a moderator users would often ask me to lock one of their threads, often just because they were 'losing a debate' or it has gone slightly off topic, or their initial question has been answered. I normally replied with a no and would not lock it. Mainly because active discussion was still being done and the thread was not out of hand. (They would then PM another mod who would then lock it -.- ) .

I simply feel threads would get locked for unjustifiable reason.