Tip.It Times Presents: Rules is Rules

Kiara_Kat

I rioted in the streets, and I do believe my neighbourhood now understands that I am a gigantic computer nerd :ohnoes:

*dusts off old tip.it account*

LOL! Haha, that one made me laugh. :XD:

A very well written article which as one member has already mentioned, it's hit the nail on the head. So many points in there that I couldn't agree with more.

strider3282.png

SiNmDRk.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would question why JaGeX enforced these rules:

We have done this for two main reasons:

a) The sheer number of users losing their account/password to programs which pretend to be one thing but actually steal their password;

B) Problems with some of these programs including extremely unsafe chat channels where large amounts of scamming go on, and users encourage each other to try to break the rules

Those two arguments for enforcing these rules seem fair, I don't think anyone can deny that there is a massive problem with both password scamming AND trade scamming. Unfortunetely, some people don't appreciate what it's like to give so much effort into acheiving something - they'd just rather take the shortcut!

But I don't believe that these two arguments are the reason behind JaGeX doing this.

I don't know Jagex's reasoning either.

I find the statistc of 50% of chat being devoted to breaking the rules that they quoted in the original announcement to be completely unbelievable. I'm not sure that anyone has ever tracked down *all* the RS IRC chats, let alone analyzed the content. FWIW, I think at least 75% of chat consists of people greeting each other or saying goodbye. :shock:

I also think that there are as many scammers using Jagex's official client or the website as there are using 3rd party clients.

Agreed. Both reasons can be easily solved without having to ban all 3rd party clients, and as we all saw, it will be done so.

it was extremely ironic that SwiftSwitch did not get into trouble cause of the swiftly switching feature...

Anyway, good article. the editors stand is clear and it is a bit funny to see how hard he/she tries to hold back :P

Edit:

I have some reasons of saying this, look at these p hat! They were a lot in 2001, and now a few only... rich players who own them have been banned, like cursed you, duke freedom and a lot others!

can some1 go a bit off-topic here and tell me, why and when did this happen? :o or at least post a link to some other topic? :?: thanks

This is the world we live in

And these are the hands we're given

Use them and lets start trying

To make it a place worth living in

i would like to thank the editor for a well written article and i couldnt put it in those words myself =D> but in that case runescape should make these 3rd part programs "illegal" because of the flood in chat ..if ytou use an auto typer.. and alos the glitches of autos or 34d part programs as the jagex crew calls it to me its all just some garbage =; that they are getting from dumb nut people who get these 3rd party programs and lose their accounts.. jagex washes their hands on this subject but i think they get quite dirty again very soon maybe even this week we will prob see another update or info on this subject... well if they do ban 3rd party programs runescape sitn ready for it it will take a hard hit and compact will be fatal... all in all every gamer wants to find a way to make their gaming easier and less time consuming non the less o think jagex doesnt really care <.<

reno.jpg

bar-pt.gif

bar-sporting.gif

Will people stop commenting on the name of the title and comment on the actual article? :roll:

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

I have some reasons of saying this, look at these p hat! They were a lot in 2001, and now a few only... rich players who own them have been banned, like cursed you, duke freedom and a lot others!

can some1 go a bit off-topic here and tell me, why and when did this happen? :o or at least post a link to some other topic? :?: thanks

A couple moths ago for real life item trading....

umm sorry for not knowing or anything but i couldnt find on any onther post...

what actually is a 3rd party client?

and what is ss and what is it used for?

3ed party clients are kind of the the runescape client u can download from runescape.com but they have more features.

ss means swiftswitch and its one of the most popular rs2 client(most of my friends use it). It has many tools imbedded into the client like calculators links to fansites ect. As the name suggests swiftswitch can also switch worlds with only 1 click of your mouse. BUT IT CANT BE USED TO GET INTO FULL WORLDS. I personally dont use it beacuse i like tabs on firefox better but thats just me.

P.S. i Swear i saw a sticky a while back that has a quote from a j mod saying they are against 3ed party programs like swiftswitch and they hoped tip.it would adopt that policy too.

jiahui12180.png

but why did they write that? It's very annoying

I believe it's a quotation. [bleep]ens I think. I want to say Oliver Twist, but I can't find it on line. I know I've heard it several times before, so I guess that's why the editor chose to use that phrasing.

Interestingly enough, a Google search for "rules is rules" (in quotation marks so it finds the phrase) brings up the Times article as #6! :mrgreen:

hugh_mannity.png