Tip.It Times Presents: Rules is Rules

Kiara_Kat

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would question why JaGeX enforced these rules:

We have done this for two main reasons:

a) The sheer number of users losing their account/password to programs which pretend to be one thing but actually steal their password;

B) Problems with some of these programs including extremely unsafe chat channels where large amounts of scamming go on, and users encourage each other to try to break the rules

Those two arguments for enforcing these rules seem fair, I don't think anyone can deny that there is a massive problem with both password scamming AND trade scamming. Unfortunetely, some people don't appreciate what it's like to give so much effort into acheiving something - they'd just rather take the shortcut!

But I don't believe that these two arguments are the reason behind JaGeX doing this.

I don't know Jagex's reasoning either.

I find the statistc of 50% of chat being devoted to breaking the rules that they quoted in the original announcement to be completely unbelievable. I'm not sure that anyone has ever tracked down *all* the RS IRC chats, let alone analyzed the content. FWIW, I think at least 75% of chat consists of people greeting each other or saying goodbye. :shock:

I also think that there are as many scammers using Jagex's official client or the website as there are using 3rd party clients.

But again, I'm not even sure that scamming is as big a problem as Jagex seems to think it is. I suspect that a lot of people who claim to have been hacked or scammed actually did it to themselves by giving out their passwords, letting friends play their accounts, or are claiming that losing stuff in the Wildy was a hack.

After all, if some mean and beastly scammer/hacker stole your stuff, it's not your fault is it? Well, if you went to some fake site and gave them your account details so they could give you a bazillion gold, and instead they cleaned out your bank, then dude -- it's your fault. You're not a passive victim, you were breaking the rules and came up against someone who's better at it than you are.

Hey Mr. Mysterious Editor, maybe you should write an article on this sort of stuff! At least, I hope it's Mr. Editor -- If it's actually Ms. Editor, please forgive me! :oops:

hugh_mannity.png

i personly never use 3rd party software, but would b good if jagex come up with it's own clan chat thing

Quit runescape on Jan 6th of 2008, at level of 115 with around 150M worth of item in bank...however stats still remains

Baoding.png

World 59, the world i loved~

59.png

Now 95% dedicated to playing Microsoft flight simulator

image_mini

http://www.youtube.com/user/im1knight

my youtube channel with many FSX videos i made. please leave a comment if you will

I really don't care one way or the other I never used something like that.

By the way... The title is incorrect grammar. If the noun is singular then the verb must be singular. (It should be Rules are Rules)

I've never even used one of those chat programs, or world switchers, even though I am one of those pesky pampered little teenagers who have to have their precious programs. (Pssst I like the letter P)

Womzoomed-1.gif

What has become of the runescape community???? :wall:

There is a community?

You got it absolutely right!

Wonderful piece of your mind btw, i loved it all.

Rules is RulesÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ

The Editor

It's a measure of the huge success of RuneScape that these third-party clients exist in the first place. They are also an indication of the limitations of the game as it stands. If people didn't feel the need for the utilities they provide, then they wouldn't create them in the first place, nor would they find others wanting to use them.

However, I rather think that Jagex missed the boat on this one. The time to have acted was a few years ago when these clients first appeared. I don't think that they realised that some clients were developed not as a means of cheating at the game, but instead as an attempt to add value to it honestly.

A MMORPG is like a virtual world... of proud people for having a pixelated armour that costed them arround three years of their life.

player interaction is what makes the runescape world... come to life

A few people have suggested making the RS play area bigger. I don't think that's possible, for the same reason that full-screen play is impossible... RS is already a HUGE java applet, making it bigger will slow down computers even more. My 2ghz computer with 512 RAM gets at least one white-out a day playing.

Also, those that use 800x600 resolution, the applet takes up most of the screen. If the applet was bigger, it would go past the edges of the screen. Java applets don't change size when you scale a webpage up or down, so their only choice would be to increase their resolution.

Issues like those lead more to the requirement of either a client of some sort, or a totally new RS (aka RS3).

untitled6kv7.gif

that was long :shock:

Before the uproar of this ss thing I had never even heard of 3rd party clients. I was asking everyone I knew what they were. On january 3rd when they re-instated it I thought I'd try it out. It had some pretty nifty things on there as everyone else has pointed out. I don't quite know how to do the chat thing cause I've only had it for 3 days. And I just stay on my home world so it's not giving me any unfair advantages. The screenshots are cool, I took some in front of all the guilds.

PS. I knew the editor was gonna make something about this

I would put a cool link here but I don't know how.

Nice article, as always. Just like to point out that i'm a teen. And i don't live via Instant Messaging. In fact... i don't even think i HAVE instant messaging. Let me check... Nope. None.

Sorry, i'm just poking holes in an article. Keep writing em, i enjoy reading them.

:D Does that make you the exception that proves the rule?

My son and his friends are always on IM *checks other room* Yep he's chatting now. He doesn't care if I ground him, or take away his allowance. Just as long as he gets to keep his IM and his WOW account...

I'm just that 1% of weird kids that doesn't do what everyone else does :thumbsup: \:D/

And on topic:I'm suprised it affected so many people. I've honestly never known about the chat rooms things because I always kept to my self for my entire rs career :-k .

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

Nice article, as always. Just like to point out that i'm a teen. And i don't live via Instant Messaging. In fact... i don't even think i HAVE instant messaging. Let me check... Nope. None.

Sorry, i'm just poking holes in an article. Keep writing em, i enjoy reading them.

:D Does that make you the exception that proves the rule?

My son and his friends are always on IM *checks other room* Yep he's chatting now. He doesn't care if I ground him, or take away his allowance. Just as long as he gets to keep his IM and his WOW account...

I'm just that 1% of weird kids that doesn't do what everyone else does :thumbsup: \:D/

And on topic:I'm suprised it affected so many people. I've honestly never known about the chat rooms things because I always kept to my self for my entire rs career :-k .

Wow another person who's in that 1% with me! (well I guess it is a small percent of people who have built a computer when they were 12...)

I do agree with the editor though... it really shouldn't make that huge of a difference after all.

Womzoomed-1.gif

What has become of the runescape community???? :wall:

There is a community?

By the way... The title is incorrect grammar. If the noun is singular then the verb must be singular. (It should be Rules are Rules)

Colloquial figure of speech sir.

neo.png01 vet :)

Baby_Neo.png

I realise that RuneScape is still very much Andrew and Paul's "baby".

Eww. I have my own thoughts about this, one is, isn't it illegal for two of the same gender to have a child? Because then that leads the child to grow up without the other gender which means he/she/it will be lost and search for his/her/its own identity. 1 thing that really shows that two males have made this game is the outfits girls wear. Don't blame me, I'm just a messenger.

That was a bit off topic but anyways very nice, I agree with a lot of what you said.

Banning messengers is quite harsh and how can they rescrict that? Good thing they changed it a bit. And yes, I do believe they are fed up with people sending appeals in such as "I got hacked".

Restrictions are harsh but I rather have monthly updates on the rules or things like that. Hope they upgrade their customer support again for a more effective game friendly support then just going head first in traffic without thinking of how the community would feel.

Why would anyone use a 3rd party client to play runescape?

answer: it does something novel or useful.

this falls in to two categories:

a) game features not provided by jagex that offer no advantage

e.g. group chat, current world displayed

B) game features not provided by jagex that offer advantage ingame

e.g. logging into full words, macro key clickers

B) is against the rules.

i suggest jagex take note and build the features from a) into their own game (this is free research for them after all)

those who use 3rd party clients for reason B) will be exposed anyway.

as always, ANY software downloaded from the internet should be scanned for keyloggers viruses spyware etc. this includes 3rd party clients. if anyone is silly enough to use one without doing so, they are going to suffer!

99% of account theft is done by someone that knows the player anyway, i think that the problem of theft through clients is overestimated.

PS. if anyone wants to do group chat, why use a client when you can use a chat program separate from runescape?

my 2cents worth :D

Hello,

First at all, very good article =D>

Don't you all understand? P. and A. Gower are jealous...they've always been jealous of rich/experienced player...

I have some reasons of saying this, look at these p hat! They were a lot in 2001, and now a few only... rich players who own them have been banned, like cursed you, duke freedom and a lot others!

And now they want to stop us using those 3rd softs, which are very cool :thumbsup: they want us to use THEIR own client... :-k :-k

loverromeoau7.png

Hello,

First at all, very good article =D>

Don't you all understand? P. and A. Gower are jealous...they've always been jealous of rich/experienced player...

I have some reasons of saying this, look at these p hat! They were a lot in 2001, and now a few only... rich players who own them have been banned, like cursed you, duke freedom and a lot others!

And now they want to stop us using those 3rd softs, which are very cool :thumbsup: they want us to use THEIR own client... :-k :-k

They could have full dragons with 3rd age armour, and 9999M of all the colours of p-hat if they so wished to lol! All they'd need to do is click a few buttons!

The last sentence is correct though... ::'

The editer hit the nail on the head (uhh.... i think I got the expression wrong...) with this article!! I couldn't agree with anything more. Beautifully stated and well put. Very specific, and points out everything going on in this rule-changing event.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

i can still use my yahoo instant messanger while playing rite?...i think so.. :-k :-w O:) :cry: :-$ :pray: anyways a group in-game chat would be nice im still using my im to talk to friends who dont play rs while i play i think its not against the rules i hope... :pray:

Will get a new Siggy, if I get around to it[/size]

Another nicely done article. (Not much more I can say. I'm feeling exhausted as I type this!)

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

i can still use my yahoo instant messanger while playing rite?...i think so.. :-k :-w O:) :cry: :-$ :pray: anyways a group in-game chat would be nice im still using my im to talk to friends who dont play rs while i play i think its not against the rules i hope... :pray:

Of course its not against the rules, if you couldn't do anything else while playing runescape then the world 21 and 87 riots would seem very tiny. :-w

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

But again, I'm not even sure that scamming is as big a problem as Jagex seems to think it is. I suspect that a lot of people who claim to have been hacked or scammed actually did it to themselves by giving out their passwords, letting friends play their accounts, or are claiming that losing stuff in the Wildy was a hack.

I totally agree with this. Using your birthday or your dog's name or your school or any other simple password is easy for real life "friends" to guess ... and then they're on your account and stripping it. :(

I don't think there are that many "hackers" out on the internet who want your valuable full steel armour (lol) and are willing to mysteriously get into your computer without you downloading anything. :roll:

Rather than trying to dry the tears of the squealing 10 year olds who claim that "it's not FAIR!" when they hit accept on a second trade screen and then change their minds (and I'm talking about a *reasonable* trade, not a con), Jagex might want to take a hint from the folks who run World of Warcraft, and simply tell players: TOUGH. (or to clean up a WoW player saying, "stinks to be you!" :lol:)

Sad but true, the world isn't always kind OR fair. Sorry - learn to cope.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Some third party clients are illegal:some arent. so why waste youre time with the illegal ones that download it to your computer if 99% of the time they download a keylogger.runescape is trying to say: dont get yourself scammed!!!!!!!!

(I have never tried downloading anything:I learned this from my friend)

Dude151515.png

I completely agree with the article. In fact, I was one of the protestors. I was in Falador World 27 yelling "Down with Jagex! Long live Swift Switch!" and things to that effect.

Then I got a two-day mute...

So I got on my nonmember and did the same thing at the World 81 Varrock riot.

Then he got a two-day mute...

But then the mute was somehow over by the next day, so whatev.

Besides, that wouldn't even be considered spam by most. It had a purpose and it wasn't breaking any rules, so how would it be mutable? I heard Mod Bonney herself say to her small army of player mods that we are entitled to our own opinions but to mute all of the people spamming.

Mr+Blueboy.png

Proud owner of a quest point cape.

It's a good article about what happened. I notice it avoids the messy debate about the protests of 27 and 81.

It doesn't use strong terms when talking about Jagex's decision to ban third party clients, which is how I feel about it. I think it was a dumb and annoying thing to do but I didn't riot in the streets because of it.

As the editor said, maybe this will encourage Jagex to talk to players AHEAD of time BEFORE they make a decision. It shouldn't take shouts of "save ss!" throughout Runescape before they come to the right conclusion.

I rioted in the streets, and I do believe my neighbourhood now understands that I am a gigantic computer nerd :ohnoes:

Knitting. At level 1, you can make fuzzy mittens. At level 50, fuzzy rainbow sweaters. At level 99? Fuzzy pink toe socks.

Oh yeah.

'Scaper since 2002