Should AUS and NZ remove the Union Jack from their flag?

Viktorkrum77

So I got reminded of this topic I haven't heard about in ages. And it got me thinking, should the Union Jack flag of the United Kingdom be removed from the flags of Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Tuvalu, and unofficial countries such as the Cook Islands and Niue Island should they declare independence?

It involves history and identity, which are usually used to debate the topic.

BTW, this issue can be broadened, so more than just Aussies, Zealanders, etc, and Brits can answer this question.

My personal view is for keeping the Union Jack, for historical reasons and representations. I'll keep a vote if this thread is successful enough.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

Well you already know of my answer Viktor. :P But I'll post here anyway, for others.

I don't like the idea at all. I love the fact that we have the British Union Jack on there. I think its shows a rich part of our countries history (particularly my families history as well >> My dad's side dates back to the first fleet [which were the first ever white settlers to Australia back in 1788]).

So I like the idea, of having it on there. If there was anything which I'd like to have changed on our flag would to have the "boxing kangaroo" added which we have as our sporting flag for international competitions. That would be sweet next to the Southern Cross. :lol: :P

boxingkangarooflag6xv.jpg

Definately keep it. It shows clearly where we come from and a crucial part of our origins as a nation. Besides, it's kind of comforting to know we have such a strong tie with the 'motherland' yet we still nail them at cricket. :lol:

I like the way it looks anyway and we are still part of the commonwealth so it's not like we can say 'sorry chaps, we thought we'd ditch your union jack.'

Australia already tried :(

I'd be quite content to leave everything as it is; except the Prime Minster will get a status change to "President". That and a change of flag since we'd have to remove the Union Jack from the flag; but meah - that's easily sorted.

We don't have to reshuffle the entire government and how it works since the Queen will no longer be the "head of state". Has no effect on how things work in this country as it is anyways. Although I like the "2 terms of presidency and it's over" :)

I'd be quite content to leave everything as it is; except the Prime Minster will get a status change to "President". That and a change of flag since we'd have to remove the Union Jack from the flag; but meah - that's easily sorted.

We don't have to reshuffle the entire government and how it works since the Queen will no longer be the "head of state". Has no effect on how things work in this country as it is anyways. Although I like the "2 terms of presidency and it's over" :)

I would hate a presidential head of state (whats the word for it? can't remember) as I dislike the current phase of 'americanisation' in general.

I would hate a presidential head of state (whats the word for it? can't remember) as I dislike the current phase of 'americanisation' in general.

Ah ok. I understand where your coming from.

don't be fooled - I don't want the current system of government to change at all; just the title of the "top job" will change from "Prime Minister" to "President" :P

Ah ok. I took what you said the wrong way.

Personally i like it the way it is. We won't gain much from becoming a republic, and the Prime Minister of Australia has a better ring to it than the President of Australia.

Splatter-RM-stroke.png

"A disbelief in magic can force some poor souls into believing in authority and business"

Personally i like it the way it is. We won't gain much from becoming a republic, and the Prime Minister of Australia has a better ring to it than the President of Australia.

I must say I totally agree. Iv'e kind of hated the title of 'president' ever since a certain someone became the president of the U.S.

I must say I totally agree. Iv'e kind of hated the title of 'president' ever since a certain someone became the president of the U.S.

Well, America's had some good presidents. Few, but there are some good ones. :P I can think of one in particular, JFK.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

Well, America's had some good presidents. Few, but there are some good ones. :P I can think of one in particular, JFK.
True; but it only takes one person to tarnish it forever.

Well; for a long time.

True; but it only takes one person to tarnish it forever.

Well; for a long time.

There have definately been some good ones, but yet it only takes one to stuff things up.

well i am a proud Australian like Eelspremiers and i would say we would have to keep it.

Yet Australia and England have very large rivalries in sport such as the cricket and rugby league, we will always be apart of each others history.

And also both sides of my family have played a small part in the first fleet that came from the united kingdom in 1788, just like Eelspremiers family.

i think it is a good idea that we do bring in the boxing kangaroo for our sporting flag.

Eelspremiers, how about your other side of the family, where did they come from?? :P

Eelspremiers, how about your other side of the family, where did they come from?? :P

:lol: A very distant land, that nobody shall no about! :anxious:

Well, I have no links to Britain whatsoever in my ancestry, so this issue doesn't affect me in terms of family history... But yes, the central argument for keeping the Union Jack is a reflection of Australia's 'history and identity'. And I certainly agree on keeping it. Let's take a closer look.

Yes, Australia was a British colony. Its first inhabitants were British convicts, etc. However, even after Federation, Australia still maintained links with Britain, through the constitution and British Monarch. Britain still determined foreign policy, defence (navy) and trade (to some extent, through tariff manipulation). And the legal system? Appeals from Australia's high court were transferred to the Privy Council in Britain.

Why did Australia become involved in the Great War? One of the reasons: to support Britain, it's motherland. How did it help form Australia's identity? Independence (to prove itself as a new nation) as it was Australia's first war as a federation. What about WWII? Once again, duty to its former 'mother country'.

Source: School cert. notes

Definately keep it. It shows clearly where we come from and a crucial part of our origins as a nation. Besides, it's kind of comforting to know we have such a strong tie with the 'motherland' yet we still nail them at cricket. :lol:

I like the way it looks anyway and we are still part of the commonwealth so it's not like we can say 'sorry chaps, we thought we'd ditch your union jack.'

We kiwis don't nail them at cricket :( Maybe next time...

Yes and no. We keep it because the mother of the motherland is our queen too.

The Cook Islands are a country in their/our own right, thanks vik.

Afro

I think Australia has the best flag in the world. It shows a real part of history and the countries heritage. Plus all the flag designs ever put forward have all been rubbish ^_^

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 285665.stm

lol what a conincidence that article being in the news on the day of this thread :D

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I like the look of our flag but i think Australia needs a bit of change.

Ditch the Union Jack, ditch the queen and move on from history and look to the future....or present. :thumbsup:

haloshotintheheadgh2.jpg

You are now dead, after the tone please press 3....BEEEP