American Idol

KnightLite

What's so loathesome is that these peoples' "talent" wasn't really acquired through years of hard work - they were born with it, plain and simple. And yet somehow a corporate television show gets more recognition of "talent" by the general public than any number of virtuoso musicians. Ask somebody off of the street who Steve Vai or somebody similar is, and they'll have no idea. Ask somebody who an American Idol contestant is and they know instantly.

That's why I've always said that they should either get contestants to play instruments or write their own songs. At least that way they have to -do- something besides frolic about on a stage and do what they were born to do. Even if you don't agree with the sentiment about vocal versus musical talent, you can surely understand my frustration with the fact that all they do is cover butchered versions of songs, sometimes making them terribly bad, like the one guy that got a turntablist to do "You Give Love a Bad Name."

You can not honestly believe that people can be born with amazing singing voices without ever working at it...

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's so loathesome is that these peoples' "talent" wasn't really acquired through years of hard work - they were born with it, plain and simple. And yet somehow a corporate television show gets more recognition of "talent" by the general public than any number of virtuoso musicians. Ask somebody off of the street who Steve Vai or somebody similar is, and they'll have no idea. Ask somebody who an American Idol contestant is and they know instantly.

That's why I've always said that they should either get contestants to play instruments or write their own songs. At least that way they have to -do- something besides frolic about on a stage and do what they were born to do. Even if you don't agree with the sentiment about vocal versus musical talent, you can surely understand my frustration with the fact that all they do is cover butchered versions of songs, sometimes making them terribly bad, like the one guy that got a turntablist to do "You Give Love a Bad Name."

You can not honestly believe that people can be born with amazing singing voices without ever working at it...

I can. You either have a good voice or you don't. You can develop your voice, certainly, but if you have a "regular" voice it's pretty near impossible to get the range and/or emotional response that good singers have.

These people have, by their own admission, little to no training at all, musically-speaking. It takes YEARS AND YEARS of diligent practice and training to learn to play an instrument on a level considered "amazing," and yet these people on American Idol are praised for their "incredible" voices and performances and potential, and they all have day jobs and showed up at auditions on a whim.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

I can. You either have a good voice or you don't. You can develop your voice, certainly, but if you have a "regular" voice it's pretty near impossible to get the range and/or emotional response that good singers have.

These people have, by their own admission, little to no training at all, musically-speaking. It takes YEARS AND YEARS of diligent practice and training to learn to play an instrument on a level considered "amazing," and yet these people on American Idol are praised for their "incredible" voices and performances and potential, and they all have day jobs and showed up at auditions on a whim.

Almost every Idol to have been on the show has had some form of vocal training. Elliot Yamin is one of the few exceptions. I agree, some people are born with a good sound to their voice, and a great vocal range; They must perfect their talent tho

x843.png

I'm sad Melinda Doolittle went home. :(

But who do you think is going to win, Blake or Jordin? Part of me says Jordin's going to win, but I think Blake has the larger appeal to the mass younger crowd, so it's hard to really say...

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

I'm sad Melinda Doolittle went home. :(

But who do you think is going to win, Blake or Jordin? Part of me says Jordin's going to win, but I think Blake has the larger appeal to the mass younger crowd, so it's hard to really say...

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

Quite the competition but the finale was too bloody long. A great competition, and America actually did a much better job voting this year rather then last year. :shock:

[hide] \' :thumbsup: \' Jordan Sparks is the American Idol! \' :thumbsup: \' [/hide]

Congratulations!

Poo...I was hoping Blake would win, He had unique qualitys that made him stand out from the average singer..

Orignally i was hoping melinda would win, she was the very best if you asked me, she was way better then Jordan (no offense to Jordan)

Anyways was hoping Blake would win

anyways congrads to Jordan and her fans!

Fusionxx.png

Ya.. I think Melinda was definately the dominate singer this year.. shame she didn't win. My fav has never won before... favs: season 2- clay aiken, season 3- George Huff, season 4- Nikko Smith, Season-5- Elliot Yamin, Season 6- Melinda Doolittle.

I'm auditioning next year.. "Cory Hall" remember the name :)

x843.png