Hunter - the Complete Guide

Elessar3019

I - Introduction

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you read and you like my guide, POST! If you don't like it, just be quiet 8-) . The intent of this guide is not to discredit the other hunting guides out there, but rather to help fellow 'scapers reach a respectable place in the high-scores in this skill while it's still relatively new. When I wrote this guide, I was around level 60. I have progressed rapidly since then, and, at the time of last edit, I am level 80. I will admit that I have not tried hunting every single creature just to find out which ones are best. The ones mentioned are what I have found to be most effective.

II - Table of Contents

I. Introduction

II. Table of Contents

III. Starting out (lvls 1-9)

IV. Getting to the quest (lvls 9-27)

V. After Eagle's Peak (lvls 31-43)

VI. Chinchompas and Beyond! (lvls 43-63)

VII. Hunter Cape, anyone? (lvls 63-99)

VIII. Overview

IX. Tips, Tricks, and Techniques

X. Miscellaneous

XI. Credits

III - Starting Out

So you want that hunter cape, huh? OK, maybe that's not your goal. Maybe you're just aiming for a weight-reducing Spottier Cape or something. Bit of a thief, perhaps, looking for some gloves to help you on your way to paladins and elves? No matter your ending level, we all start at the beginning: level 1. So head to Yanille using one of the methods of transportation shown on the map.

huntingmappa2.jpg

Sorry for not being able to get a clearer image up. Anyways, once you get to the hunting store, buy 2 bird traps, 4 box traps, and 2 rabbit snares (optional). If you wish, you may also get a butterfly net and some jars. Here's what you want to have in your inventory (amount of gold is variable).

lowlvlhunterinventoryiw3.jpg

Then go south, past the ogres, and into the jungle. Go to the coast and there should be birds flying around with just an "examine" option. Set up your bird trap anywhere around there, and step 3 or 4 steps away. Repeat until lvl 9.

IV - Getting to the Quest

I love hunting. It's debatedly the easiest skill to train. That said, head to the woodland area northwest of the gnome stronghold to catch your next prey.

huntingmapwoodlandbp8.jpg

Go to the far west side of the map, and set up your sole bird trap somewhere accessible from all sides. Then sit back and let the exp pour in. While you wait, make use of those butterfly nets and chase Ruby Harvests. At level 20, make sure you set up 2 traps at a time. I know that at level 23 it may be tempting to ditch the whole bird idea and go set up a deadfall trap somewhere, but DON'T DO IT. Birds give much faster exp. Just keep at it until level 27. Then do the "Eagle's Peak" quest. Starting at level 27, the exp reward will get you to level 31.

V - After Eagle's Peak

Once you reach level 31, you're in the high scores. W00t! But you're not done yet: nobody stops at 31, not in hunting anyways. If you want, you can go back to Yanille and buy a teasing stick to get larupia furs. They are essential in coming levels for increasing your success percentage. I'm not going to go into detail about how to lure larupias, as they aren't a good way to level. Now take your box-traps and rabbit-snares (along with a good bit of cash, since you won't be visiting a bank anytime soon) back to the woodland and trap ferrets. Easy exp, and if you want a diversion, use said ferrets to flush rabbits out of their warrens. To do this, first set up snares directly in front of 2 of the holes. They should be set so that there is a hole between them. When you use the ferret with the hole that is between the two trapped ones, the rabbit will come out of 1 of them. Keep doing this until you reach level 43.

VI - Chinchompas and Beyond!

Go with the logical choice here - have something else do your hunting for you! Actually, you still get the exp from the kebbits that your falcon will catch, but that sounded really cool to say :D . But seriously, go into the fenced area east of where you have previously spent all your time in the woodland. It's kind of hard to miss. Speak with Matthias while not holding anything or wearing any gloves, and he will loan you a falcon for 500gp. From here on out it's pretty much just repetition. You need over 3,000 spotted kebbits to go from 43 to 63.

At level 53, my advice is not to leave the falconry area to catch chinchompas. Wait until 55 or so, when the rate at which you catch chinchompas increases. Once you're ready to trap them, set up your traps like I did in this picture.

3trapchinchompasd9.jpg

Some people say that at 59, you should go to the chaos temple near Castle Wars and trap red salamanders. Well, I'm here to tell you not to. Stick with falconry (or chinchompas) in the woodland area. But hey, you be the judge. Here are all the times for gaining 10k exp using the above-mentioned methods.

10k exp catching red salamanders ~14:50

10k exp catching grey chinchompas (3 traps) ~17:00

10k exp catching spotted kebbits ~14:30

It doesn't take rocket scientists to figure out which one to use if you're training. Conversely, nobody wants to buy spotted furs, so for quick cash, grey chinchompas are a good choice.

At 60, GO BACK TO CHINCHOMPAS. Whatever you were doing before, stop and head to the woodlands. Place your traps like I have done,

4trapchinchompatj3.jpg

and pay attention. If there's one thing I've learned, it's don't try browsing forums while box-trapping. From 60 to 63, I'm estimating around 400 traps with helpless, furry creatures in them (never mind that these creatures could explode at any time, causing a chain reaction in your inventory).

At 63, when you can catch red chinchompas, go southwest, past Yanille, past Castle Wars, past Gu'tanoth, past the Hunter tutor - well, not that far past him. When you reach the correct place, your minimap should have a pond in the far southeast, and the edge of the world to the west. Another tell-tale sign that you're in the right place is the little fuzzy red things running around. See the picture below for more information.

4trapredchinchompaeq1.png

Once you reach level 80 and can set up 5 - that's right, five - traps at a time, place them in one of these two setups. (Thanks ImpulsiveJet for both pics!) Both are taken from the same location, in the north-central part of the jungle.

myboxtrapsetupld1.png

07jun01234831ql5.jpg

VII - Hunter Cape, Anyone?

OK, I have some good news and some bad news.

Bad news: from level 63, it's going to take 47,796 red chinchompas to get the hunter cape.

Good news: At 700gp each, those 47,796 red chinchompas will sell for a whopping 33,457,200gp. That's 33.5 million! Imagine what you could do with that! (Besides pay for the skillcape, that is.) I don't really have much to say here. You basically have to set up 65,000+ traps and hope for the best. Needless to say that I won't be doing that anytime soon.

More bad news: those 47,796 red chinchompas will take you 2 weeks of non-stop playing. That's no sleep :( , no food :( , no school :) , no homework :) , no logging off :) , just "Dismantle box trap" or "Check shaking box" over and over and over and....

More good news: once you catch those 47,796 red chinchompas, you can do this:

hunteremotece1.jpg

VIII - Overview

Lvl 1-9: Crimson swift (jungle)

Lvl 9-27: Copper longtail (woodland)

Lvl 27-31: "Eagles' Peak"

Lvl 31-43: Ferrets/Rabbits (woodland)

Lvl 43-56: Spotted kebbits (woodland)

Lvl 56-63: Grey chinchompas (woodland)

Lvl 63-99: Red chinchompas (jungle)

I don't know about you, but I'm starting to see a method to my madness. Take a look at the locations of the suggested prey. Aha. Therefore, if you get all your gear when you first start (near the jungle, I might add), you don't have to go anywhere until lvl 63 if you don't want to.

IX - Tips, Tricks, and Techniques

1. Make sure you're setting up the maximum number of traps allowed for your level. You have no idea how much one extra box trap will affect your chinchompa flow.

2. When box-trapping, click on your next target before your character is finished with his/her action. Just watch the trap underneath you: if it expands to its set form, then the other movements you make are just for show. Shaving 1 second off of every trap will save you 47,796 seconds, 796.6 minutes, 13.277 hours, or 0.55319 days.

3. Make sure your "run" is on. It'll take a lot of time off your total(see #3 for an example).

4. Take several extra box traps with you to the jungle when you catch red chinchompas. That way, if you lose some to a random event or something like it, you have plenty of extras. Again, just a time-saving tip, not a law. Listen to me or not, it's your choice.

If you have any suggestions to go here, let me know. If I include your suggestion in my guide, I'll give you credit in the font color of your choice!

X - Miscellaneous

If you need some help or just want somebody to chat with while hunting, I'll be glad to come to your world and help out. Normally, I'm online from 10pm to midnight, CST. Saturdays, anytime throughout the day. Of course, summer's coming up, so I may be on vacation for a week or something. Private chat is always on, so feel free to drop me a HYT, even if you're not coming to hunt with me. World 99, all the way!

Any suggestions or corrections to my guide are accepted, with credit going to the appropriate person. Just let me know what you want me to add/remove/change, and it'll happen (maybe).

XI - Credits

Jagex (duh)

Tip.it ( <3: )

Elessar3019 (me)

Pyrex

Impulsive_Jet (for the 80+ Hunter pics and skillcape emote picture)

The TIF community for graciously sparing their time to tell me what I'm doing wrong :mrgreen: Just kidding. Congratulations on making it all the way to the end. Now POST, for goodness' sake!

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you took your time with this guide unlike some other guides out there. I found your information highly usefull, thanks for that! But i think some more pictures would be nice, may be change the sizes FONTS? overall, great guide! Check mine out you might get the idea

yet another 1-99 hunter guide writer with no 99 hunting

you can even hunt red salamanders

good guide anyway :oops:

wendigo66.jpeg

click my sig for my blog!!!

Thanks everyone for the sigs they pwn!

No. Why should i give presents for someone in rs?

Most selfish thing I've ever heard

Its an ok guide :). Nothing new in it but it does the job.

You might want to add the fairy rings code, these are THE best way to get to a hunting area. (faster than eagles, yes yes.)

Woodland : A K Q

You appear next to the deathfalls, falcons and chimchompas to the east.

Jungle : A K S you appear just north of the hunting area, procede south.

Snow : D K S

Your just south of the place.

Desert : D L Q

You appear south, so go north. You may get lost if you dont go in the right direction.

And heres a small reminder : To gain access to the fairy rings, all you need is to start fairy tales part 2. No need of the farming and herblore levels.

Quest cape obtained at combat level 83, march 07.

I wanted to say that this for once is a very readable and well written guide. A couple of things that I might throw in for your consideration are the following:

- At 47, I switched to Orange Salamanders. They seemed at the time to be alot faster than Falconry. The downside is that they are in the desert and you have to watch your waterskins. I personally took 5 and knife with me, and whenever I got down to 2 full skins. I would release my inventory of Sallys, and cut cacti until I was full again. It provided a nice break, and to be honest, you can do 47-53 in one sitting, it is that fast.

- At 53, I stuck with Grey Chinchompas to until 59. I caught about 1600 of them or so. The price you can get for Grey Chins are very volatile, but I sold them in two chunks, 500 for 500 each or 250k. And the remainder for 700k. To me, that money was worth the extra time spent gaining XP. There is a market for Grey Chinchompas, as guys that are creating pure rangers can use the Grey's to skyrocket from 45 to 55 (the level they can use their Red Chinchompas)

- At 59, I went over to the Red Salamanders. In my opinion, this is the fastest hunting XP (until possibly 80 hunter with 5 traps on Red Chinchompas). Setting net traps are much faster than setting boxes, and they fail a lot less. Of course, the downside is the occasional purging of your inventory. To me, the speed from 59-63 was worth the trouble.

- At 63, I went to Red Chinchompas. One thing that has to be mentioned, you will be very discouraged at the amount of Chins you will be catching at first. Probably not much more than 150 per hour. Some even advocate waiting until 74 hunter if speed is outweighing money. I am at 76 hunter now, and I estimate I am catching between 200-240 an hour. Still not insanely fast, but decent cash for leveling a skill.

Hope some things that I have learned so far, might be useful for someone reading this guide.

guthan,Hutchdown.gif

At 47, I switched to Orange Salamanders. They seemed at the time to be alot faster than Falconry. The downside is that they are in the desert and you have to watch your waterskins. I personally took 5 and knife with me, and whenever I got down to 2 full skins. I would release my inventory of Sallys, and cut cacti until I was full again. It provided a nice break, and to be honest, you can do 47-53 in one sitting, it is that fast.

The reason I did not include orange salamanders in my guide is because they are so far away from anything else, and require waterskins, desert robes, and like. Just a lot of hassle when you can train just as fast with falcons.

At 53, I stuck with Grey Chinchompas to until 59. I caught about 1600 of them or so. The price you can get for Grey Chins are very volatile, but I sold them in two chunks, 500 for 500 each or 250k. And the remainder for 700k. To me, that money was worth the extra time spent gaining XP. There is a market for Grey Chinchompas, as guys that are creating pure rangers can use the Grey's to skyrocket from 45 to 55 (the level they can use their Red Chinchompas)

As stated in my guide, in the interest of quick leveling, stick with falcons, using chinchompas as a way to not go insane.

At 59, I went over to the Red Salamanders. In my opinion, this is the fastest hunting XP (until possibly 80 hunter with 5 traps on Red Chinchompas). Setting net traps are much faster than setting boxes, and they fail a lot less. Of course, the downside is the occasional purging of your inventory. To me, the speed from 59-63 was worth the trouble.

When I get to lvl 59 hunter, I will definitely test these to see if the exp gained can outweigh falcons. If they're better, you will receive credit.

At 63, I went to Red Chinchompas. One thing that has to be mentioned, you will be very discouraged at the amount of Chins you will be catching at first. Probably not much more than 150 per hour. Some even advocate waiting until 74 hunter if speed is outweighing money. I am at 76 hunter now, and I estimate I am catching between 200-240 an hour. Still not insanely fast, but decent cash for leveling a skill.

Thank you for your input on the decreased speed of red chinchompas.

And the fairy ring codes are already included on the skill guide on the main site, Aoe. Thank you for your suggestion.

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

you cant even hunt red salamanders

agreed... this one doesnt add more then the 5-10 other guides

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

The layout is nice in my opinion, but there are some things missing (like pictures) and one thing you might want to add :

When going to the red chinchompas, take full inventory -1 boxes, that way it doesn't matter if you lose some boxes for whatever reason.

Retired

Ex-E174

Ex-Venqeance

[Ex-Tha Familia3]

When going to the red chinchompas, take full inventory -1 boxes, that way it doesn't matter if you lose some boxes for whatever reason.

Excellent idea! You're getting credit for it when I update my guide tonight!

And pics are coming. Watch for some screenshots and more maps. Also, if anyone would like to come hunt with me, that would be great. I'm getting kinda bored (and discouraged after running the calc and seeing that I need 1200 more spotted kebbits to get to lvl 63). I'll be online pretty much all night (i.e. 10p-2a CST) tonight.

AMEN!

Now that it has pics, it seems very good!

Only thing you need now for this guide is to become heard for which you'll need support.

One small (very small) mistake is in the accessibility picture, you circled the balloon landing spot and named it castle wars tele. (The teleport brings you inside the cw building)

If I ever get the kbd heads (which is my current goal) then I might come hunt if you are still hunting then ::'

Retired

Ex-E174

Ex-Venqeance

[Ex-Tha Familia3]

A couple of things

- Bringing 26 box traps for Chinchompas is a horrible idea. You will be getting random events every 5 minutes or so, and unless you don't like collecting the gems or genie lamps (gained 2 runecrafting levels while hunting chinchompas) bringing so many traps doesnt make any sense. I bought 6 back at level 27 when I started trapping Ferrets and I havent lost any traps EVER all the way to 76.

- I question your timing you used comparing red salamanders, grey chinchompas, and spotted kebbits. I noticed that you are still only level 60 hunter, so I was wondering if you tested these numbers yourself for a full 10k XP on each, or took the numbers from somewhere else. I fully contend (and I am not the only one) that Red Salamanders are POSITIVELY the fastest hunter XP in the game, until level 80 when you can place 5 traps down for Red Chinchompas.

- I assure you, I have tried every possible way to hunt, I have deadfalled, teased, tracked, snared, trapped, netted and caught imps in a box. While I concede I don't know everything about hunting, I know more now at 76 than I did at 60.

guthan,Hutchdown.gif

Actually, bringing lots of traps is a very good idea. I have lost 8 or 9 traps to mimes, pinball, and evil Bob. And it's just a suggestion. Don't do it if you don't want to.

Yes, I timed them myself. You may be right in saying that red salamanders are faster, but at lvl 59, your traps catch something only about 60% of the time they're triggered. It's better to wait until 62 or so, and by that time there's no sense in leaving the woodland just to save 15 minutes till you get to red chinchompas.

And once you get to lvl 63, you don't need a guide. It's pretty much up to you want you want to do. And I too have tried every conceivable form of hunting (except imp-catching). I continue to learn, but stick by what I said in my guide.

AMEN!

Interesting, I lost 3 nets once for the Evil Twin, but I have not yet lost a box trap. Not that I am complaining because I seem to be getting mostly Genie Lamps and gems. I will concede that salamanders, grey chinchompas, and kebbits are pretty close together in terms of xp per hour, particularly at the sub 60 level, so it would be a matter of personal preference. I personally found red salamanders to be quite a bit easier, as the 4 trees are in a known place, the traps set faster than boxes and the kebbits requires a lot more clicking and chasing. I would suggest between 50 - 63 to try a little of each and sticking with what is the most comfortable for you.

guthan,Hutchdown.gif

It's about time someone made a hunter guide. Thanks :)

huh? there are 3 that i see. prob more if u use search lol.

i agree, red salamanders are fastest xp cuz with falcons u have too much stuff to dump and that slows you down.

id rather do red chinchumpas cuz nothing to dump at all. And, guess im one of the lucky ones cuz my randoms are gems and genie lamps. once im full, thats when i quit hunting, bank, rest and go back.

you cant even hunt red salamanders

agreed... this one doesnt add more then the 5-10 other guides

Yes, but what it does do is back up some of the info in those guides.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

pretty good guide

but u need 2 add a picture where 2 catch red chinchompas

I haven't actually been red chinchompa-hunting. I plan on doing that tonight after I sell 3k bs that I am holding.

AMEN!