Should parents have a say?

Guest XplsvBam

Yes, please. Tell them to stop butting in :(

If the kid is irresponsible, then yes, maybe the parents might need to butt in more often.

But if the kid is responsible AND shows it, GTFO her damn life because she has enough problems with you bossing her around the house without needing to give her problems outside. If it makes her happy to be with someone, shut the [bleep] up for once and loose that strictness because she is a great girl and won't do anything stupid as she would've already done something if she will do something because she has been with someone for YEARS now. Use your damn common sense for once.

God... don't even go THAT far... my parents would [bleep]ing TEASE me if they knew i had a gf...

~Guy

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

A lot of kids have some high school sweet heart who they want to marry. This is the only person they have been with usually and dont know what love is yet

So what is love then?

If only people really knew the answer..

It definetly isn't wanting to marry someone after dating them for a short while.

Proud founder of the Myriad

i don't think that parents should control who u want ur boyfriend/girlfriend is.U should be able to decide on ur own who u like

Yeah. It's YOUR life, not your parents.

tifsbti6oi.gif

i don't think that parents should control who u want ur boyfriend/girlfriend is.U should be able to decide on ur own who u like

Get off THEIR internet. Stop eating THEIR food. Stop living under THEIR roof. Stop wasting THEIR money.

Their house, their rules. It's that simple.

Get off THEIR internet. Stop eating THEIR food. Stop living under THEIR roof. Stop wasting THEIR money.

Such a tired clicḫ̩̉̉, children still have a right to a certain amount of liberty and choice.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Such a tired clicḫ̩̉̉, children still have a right to a certain amount of liberty and choice.

No it's like a mini-dictatorship. If you live in their country, you follow the rules or you leave.

On a new note, how many teen you think will start running away from home because of this thought?

Yeah? They have their liberties. But if MY kid isn't satisfied with what I give him. He may damn well leave.

You got a problem with how your parents do things? Get out then.

Kids don't work for what they have. Either they enjoy it and shut up or leave. It's really that simple.

Well, yes...but if a parent is violating the basic rights of the child, the child does not have to "take it or leave", especially if there is nowhere to go.
And then you've got parents who wonder why their kids resent (or hate) them.

There's a point where a kid (especially teenagers) are going to fed up with protective parents and either tell them to "piss off" or leave home.

My parents are great with this I feel. They trust my choices, but if they did have a problem with someone I was dating I would take their opinion very seriously. I feel sorry for people who do have very strict parents on this, for instance my friends father made him break up with his girlfriend because she had a tattoo. I think that's just obscured.

jfacsig01ti4.jpg

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I feel sorry for people who do have very strict parents on this, for instance my friends father made him break up with his girlfriend because she had a tattoo. I think that's just obscured.

What?!? :shock:

That is soo harsh. Besides, I think it is kinda like a Romeo & Juliet thing. The families hate each other, but R & J love each other. If my family did not like someone who I truly loved, I would probably elope. But I seriously doubt I would go out with a drug-dealing-type-chavvish girl anyway.

I think that although parents have the right of control over their kids, they must be prevented from overusing these powers. Besides, I would probably not tell my parents about any girlfriends anyways...

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Yes and no.

If the boyfriend/girlfriend is clearly into something bad (drugs, violence, etc.), then I would say that the parents should step in and do something. Sometimes, the kid might not realize how bad the person really is. He/she might be distracted by some kind of affection.

I do, however, think kids, for the most part, should get to pick who they want to be with. It's mainly their decision, and many parents might pre-judge someone based on their looks.

My parents were rather strict on me when it came to boyfriends up to the age of 16, then they let me get on with the world. I wish now, that they had intervened more. Going to an all girls school and not really having a relationship with boys that wasn't just on friendly terms, I got myself into such compromising situations with guys. I never took my boyfriend's home and I wish I did, for my parents to have told me what an idiot I was. Sure I learned from the situation, but I could have avoided a few things that endangered myself.

I think the parents should have some say, approve as it were. I wouldn't go out with a boy my dad didn't approve of.

657757fr7.png

SHH HUT YUH MUH. DERKHED.

Well, there are obviously different variables that need to be factored in, but I'd say that parents these days should give their kids a little bit more freedom to do whatever it is that they want. And if it's bad, they learn from their mistakes.

ANOTHER QUALITY POST BY JAKE.

:funone:

jake on last.fm

Guest XplsvBam
Well, there are obviously different variables that need to be factored in, but I'd say that parents these days should give their kids a little bit more freedom to do whatever it is that they want. And if it's bad, they learn from their mistakes.
Do you have a reason for this? Or are you just saying this because society is telling the times are changing and so should people?

Society can be a very good thing, unless you allow destructive values in.

I personally am not going to fight society when I have kids but I'm going to make sure that my kids realize that society CAN be wrong (I know I said it, sue me.)

Do you have a reason for this? Or are you just saying this because society is telling the times are changing and so should people?

Society can be a very good thing, unless you allow destructive values in.

I personally am not going to fight society when I have kids but I'm going to make sure that my kids realize that society CAN be wrong (I know I said it, sue me.)

Well, it worked with me. I mean, of course my parents would tell me that drugs were bad when I was growing up, and to stay out of trouble and whatnot, but the fact that they didn't tell me who I couldn't hang out with, what music I couldn't listen to or what movies I could watch for the most part (couldn't watch R films until I was 11 or 12), and disciplined me when I did something wrong or bad, I think I've come out of it pretty level-headed with a realization that you can be whatever it is that you want to be, and to dream big. And sometimes your dreams don't come true the way you want them to, or even at all. But what's wrong with trying?

So my reasoning is personal experience.

ANOTHER QUALITY POST BY JAKE.

:funone:

jake on last.fm