Mid-High level F2P Training

Tidus2555

This guide is aimed at players with a combat level of approximately 50, but the methods of training that I will outline can be effective up to level 80, depending upon your own attention span and the amount of people using the training spots.

This guide is taking experience as it's guideline. One of the monsters I outline as a decent training monster has absolutely no drops (not even bones).

THIS GUIDE IS NOT DESIGNED FOR PURES, OR RANGERS. All of the monsters in this guide are intended for melee purposes.

This is designed for free to play, but keep an eye out for the Italic text on certain sections, as they are annotations that give advice on speeding up the training to members.

I DO NOT want any posts saying that any of the monsters i've suggested are rubbish or have no decent drops, as stated above none are included for decent drops, only the ones that have given good exp are included.

My guide will not touch on Ice giants because it doesn't want to melt them. But seriously, there's a very good guide on Ice giants already on here, and I'll post the link once I find it.

[hide=General Tips and Stuff]Both Adamant and Rune Gauntlets from the Fist of Guthix Minigame are extremely helpful for training as they provide a massive strength bonus ... Well, it's alright, and better-than-vambraces defence stats, so if you want to take the time to earn them, by all means do. I wouldn't bother using Mithril or below though, simply because it's not worth using tokens on them when they're below or the same as vambraces.

Someone mentioned something about me saying lobsters are the basic food guidelines for this ... that's a lie. I don't say you /need/ lobsters, it's a given that using lobsters (or swordfish) increases your xp yield for each trip but you can do all of these trips using trout and salmon apart from where I recommend that you only use lobsters or better for that monster only[/hide]

I'll list these in order of easiest to hardest .. give or take a rank.

[hide=Monster No. 1]Name: Zombie

Level: 30

HP: 30

Max Hit Observed: 3

Recommended Minimum Defences: Adamant Armour, although Mithril with 25+ Defence may suffice.

Zombies are great to train on. They're located on the second floor of the Stronghold of Security (Barbarian Village) They are the best monster for drops in this guide, frequently dropping steel arrows, varying from 5 to 15 (I think I might have had a drop of almost 20 before, but it might have been my imagination), and a few body runes for any budding mages. The magic dummies in Lumbridge can be cursed continuously. They only hit about 30% of the time, meaning that a single inventory of food can last a long time.[/hide]

[hide=Monster No. 2]Name: Deadly Red Spider

Level: 34

HP: 35

Max Hit Observed: 3

Recommended Minimum Defences: Same as Zombie.

Now, Spiders are the monster I mentioned earlier, they have absolutely no drops, but because of this, people rarely kill them. This means there are plenty to kill, and as you can see they have more hitpoints (and therefore give more exp) than the zombies. I suggest the ones in the volcano on Karamja, or the ones in Varrock Sewers. The ones in Varrock Sewers are in a multi-combat area; because of this that I say you should not attempt to train on the spiders in the Sewers with anything less than Rune Armour, otherwise you won't last long enough to get a decent yeild of exp. (Exception - See Image section)

Tip: You can pick up spider eggs as you eat your food, they are worth a couple hundered gp and can make up for all those lobsters that you scoff while hacking away.[/hide]

[hide=Monster No. 3]Name: Giant Spider

Level: 50

HP: 50

Max Hit Observed: 8

Recommended Minimum Defences: 50 Defence and Full Rune (Kite included - no 2H weapons)

These are on the third level of the Stronghold of Security. My second account is not yet strong enough to last very long here, and my first account was approximately 70 defence before these came out, so i'm not too sure on what the ideal level is to last for about an hour in 1 inventory. Again, they have no drops, although they can have more people than you will find at deadly red spiders.[/hide]

[hide=Monster No. 4]Name: Dark Wizard

Level: 20 (weaker, level 7 versions aswell)

HP: 24 (Level 7 versions have 12)

Max Hit Observed: 6 (Level 7 versions - 4)

Recommended Minmum Defences: 40 Range, 40 Defence and 40 Mage. Full Green Dragonhide and a coif. Anti-dragon shield, NO Metalic armours such as Rune or Adamant. (Level 7 Versions - 20 defence and a studded body can replace the D'Hide top.)

These are located in the druid's circle, where you fight the demon in demon slayer. Now, I have decided to include these as they haven't been crowded the past couple of times i've been. You may wonder why I have ranked these as /more/ dangerous than a bunch of level 50 Spiders. Well, in my experiance, wizards seem to have a knack of killing an adventurer off a lot easier than anything else. Their magic attacks and curses can be annoying, lowering your strength and attack levels, and chewing through people trying to use lower level foods (such as trout and salmon). They can attack you when you try to run away when a spider will only make a feeble attempt at a chase, I have seen more people die to this than any other cause. They drop 4 Nature runes every now and then, a 1k drop in itself, along with numerous lower level runes - they soon add up and turn out to be one of the best money makers for their level.

Members can fight level 11, 22 and 23 Dark Wizards in the Dark Wizard Tower, North of the Crafting Guild and Makeover Mage. I have only ever seen 1 person there.[/hide]

[hide=Monster No. 5]Name: Ankou

Level: 82

HP: 65

Recommended Minmum Defences: 60+ Defence (with 60 Attack and 60 Strength), Full Rune Armour (no 2H weapons). Lobsters or Swordfish ONLY.

These are probably the highest level monsters I will include in this guide. They drop numerous amounts of Adamant Arrows, Rune essence, Uncut Gems and Mithril Ores. The down-side to fighting these is that you probably won't get much exp per trip until you reach 70 combat stats, so try to vary it a bit. I only say the level 82 Ankous as they are in a room with level 60 Skeletons. Kill these aswell as they hit lower and less often. They make nice boosts to your exp and don't give you a pummelling in return.

Members can use Bass-Monkfish, Shark are usually too expensive to be efficient. Dragon Armour and Berserker/Warrior/Neitznot helms are an advantage, as are Barrows Armours for higher levels. A Salve Amulet, or Salve Amulet (e) is a Godsend and will have you powering through them.[/hide]

[hide=Monsters to Avoid]>ANY monster that has 15 combats or more on you. It is MORE efficient to kill MEN than it is to kill Lesser Demons at level 65, simply because you won't manage to hit demons as much as you could hit men (or guards), and they will give you a hard time with little prospect of rewards (It's not worth eating 3 lobsters for one Jug of Wine).

>Lesser Demons. They're really rather poor. Their best drop is a rune medium helm, and apart from that they don't have many drops worthy of anything above level 70. They are usually crowded, whether you go to the ones surrounded by lava or the ones behind the "secret" door.

IF you still want to try killing them in the hope of getting the 11k Rune Medium, then fine. But only go if you are 82 combat or higher, and have the usual full rune. I still wouldn't get your hopes up too high, I got 65 -> 70 Strength at them (Before the Stronghold, and when my members ran out) and only got 2 Helms. I used the method that dictated you fish lobsters and then cook them on your own fire on the pier outside.

>Moss Giants - Crowded. Sweaty. Smelly. Always has a ranger waiting behind you, using you as a fleshy shield and fireing away taking all your kills. Not that they have anything decent besides big bones and perhaps a magic staff.

>Hill Giants - Smaller versions of Moss Giants. Just in a bigger room. Don't do it. Really.

>Flesh Crawlers - Annoying little things. They have high attack levels and can be annoying to anyone. They best thing they drop are uncut gems? Always has someone else in the room, even on members worlds.[/hide]

[hide=Image Section]chokepoint.jpg

This method of training is the most efficient, it allows you to update blogs and guides while training, since you don't have piles of hits on you at once, but you can keep the other spiders queued up. (I have had 7 spiders lined up, it required a bit of effort but I had my next couple of minutes' taining set \'[/hide]

[hide=Credits]josh181830 for corrections of max hits, and adding the Giant Spider's max.

Li Chef for being a walking, talking, cookie giving dictionary :thumbsup:

Sinkhan for reminding me about gauntlets[/hide]

Good luck in your training!

tidus_2555.png

My Blog

My Training Guide

Drop records go here, but I lost count of all of my drops while I was away from TIF/They were down :(

flesh crawlers anyone?

Each has 25 hp, meaning 100 xp per kill. Start 2-3 hitting them and you're getting fast xp, and they drop the occ. sapph or em. Also, they're aggressive in a single combat area, so they line up to die.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Even though you explicitly stated that this guide is for meleers and not rangers, I have personal experience that ranging dark wizards is almost as efficient as meleeing them. Ranged armour of course.

BTW, can anyone give an opinion as to how often ankous drop addy arrows and deaths? I killed at least 40 in one run and didn't get any of either.

Even though you explicitly stated that this guide is for meleers and not rangers, I have personal experience that ranging dark wizards is almost as efficient as meleeing them. Ranged armour of course.

BTW, can anyone give an opinion as to how often ankous drop addy arrows and deaths? I killed at least 40 in one run and didn't get any of either.

in f2p ankous do not drop death runes i repeat they do not

foukouei.png

I spose if you kill about a hundered ankous you might get about 25 addys. It's not that good of a drop rate really, but they tend to drop high amounts the first couple of times. I'll remove the bit about death runes.

I know ranging is just as efficient as meleeing at dark wizards, I got 45 range there >_> I thought i'd include them because you can make a healthy profit. Just because something isn't /intended/ to be for rangers, it doesn't mean they can't do it ;)

I haven't included flesh crawlers because I don't think they're that good xp. I actually hit better on spiders and zombies than I do on them, and they usually have about 2-3 people at them at any given time. They're like a low level lesser demon, but maybe that's just my personal bias. I don't like them.

tidus_2555.png

My Blog

My Training Guide

Drop records go here, but I lost count of all of my drops while I was away from TIF/They were down :(

in f2p ankous do not drop death runes i repeat they do not

#-o #-o #-o

faiyaz101.png

Unfairly Banned-Appeal In Process, Its been slow due to the sheer number of them

Well looks like I won't be killing any more ankous any time soon...

Do zombies drop steels like minotaurs do with irons? Like every drop? :roll:

I need a new source of dropped arrows. Irons are no longer cutting it...

Well in about ... 20k xp I've had about 600 steels so ... it's like every other drop. Sometimes you'll get pures training and just leaving the steels so you can get even more that way :thumbsup:

tidus_2555.png

My Blog

My Training Guide

You've just proven my point really, too many people see them as the best monster to train on, so they're pretty much always trained on ... I prefer places where there is a chance I'll have all the monsters to myself. Maybe that's just my inner loner coming out though :)

tidus_2555.png

My Blog

My Training Guide

Tut tut Tiddus I expected better! Not one mention of me!

And I spotted a few spelling errors!

This guide is taking EXPERIENCE as it's guideline

as they are annotations that give ADVICE on speeding up the training to members.

VARROCK Sewers

Tut tut, I expected better.

But good guide! \' :thumbsup: ::'

Li Chef

/m\_(-.-)_/m\

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just [bleep]ing lunacy" ~ Stephen Fry

LuMengjr.jpg

About time your noob self posted on my thread :-# There, I've erased the offending errors from the guide, and I beg that you forgive me oh master ...

My Name is Tidus not "Tiddus", I expect you to correct that ... or else :twisted:

Thanks Sinkhan! Very solid indeed. I like it. I'm not sure about mithrils, i've never had many of those dropped in bulk ... Ankous drop addys though - My guide goes in leaps and bounds like that ... I'm 46 Range on my second account at the moment, i'm still using bronze bolts and a crossbow to train with ... 2 gp per bolt = VERY efficient training, since I max about the same as I do with bronze arrows and they're 6 gp each ...

tidus_2555.png

My Blog

My Training Guide

You've just proven my point really, too many people see them as the best monster to train on, so they're pretty much always trained on ... I prefer places where there is a chance I'll have all the monsters to myself. Maybe that's just my inner loner coming out though :)

You're probably in a popular spot, there's a few spots that tend to be always empty.

Pretty good guide, but have you considered Ice Giants as another method? They're good for range experience, have somewhat okay loot, and have big bones. I know of people who trained range there.

I'm sure x-bow/bronze bolt training must be cheap, but I'm not sure about it's efficiency. You'll fire considerably slower and have quite a bit less accuracy compared to bronze arrows in a maple bow.

But for cheapness, it's good ^_^

Well, a crossbow on rapid is approximately the same speed as a maple bow on accurate, and since I only ever really range wizards - they have no range defence.

What other spots for flesh crawlers are there other than the Stronghold of Security? I went around the entire floor and didn't see section without two or more people in it ....

Ice giants already have a guide, i'm not going to rip off his/her work.

tidus_2555.png

My Blog

My Training Guide

What other spots for flesh crawlers are there other than the Stronghold of Security? I went around the entire floor and didn't see section without two or more people in it ....

Ice giants already have a guide, i'm not going to rip off his/her work.

The far northwestern corner is empty 90% of the time. (or close to it)

I completely forgot about Gauntlets :wall: Probably because I wrote this guide when my second account was only 20 defence, using green vambraces instead of Mithril Gaunts :roll:

tidus_2555.png

My Blog

My Training Guide

• 3 weeks later...

You mention that you use lobsters as training food. They're horribly expensive, so salmon or tuna are much better options.

Nice guide. The zombies are also great for training range as well as melee.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Name: Giant Spider

Level: 50

HP: 50

Recommended Minimum Defences: 50 Defence and Full Rune (Kite included - no 2H weapons)

These are on the third level of the Stronghold of Security. My second account is not yet strong enough to last very long here, and my first account was approximately 70 defence before these came out, so i'm not too sure on what the ideal level is to last for about an hour in 1 inventory. They are in a multi-combat zone, so make sure you are in a corner, or against a wall - try to reduce the amount of spiders hitting you at any one time - it can be annoying having 4 monsters hitting you at once, and 1's can quickly kill you if you aren't paying attention. I will try to get some more information on these for you all, but there's no promises. Again, they have no drops, although they can have more people than you will find at deadly red spiders.

[hide=]94666807un4.png[/hide]

They're not in a multi-combat zone.

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif