Save the old Runescape websites!

meili

Hello, my name is Meili and I am an old Runescape player who started playing this game way back in 2001. I joined Tip It in the same year and I first announced the creation of my RS fan page Meili's Runescape Pictures in these forums. I come to you now to inform you of certain things and with a plea to help our RS websites.

Newer websites are copying content from the old, original websites

Now, you may not be aware of this but there are old websites from 2001 that still exist today. In fact, these websites are important because they are the only genuine source of information such as news, screenshots, stories and history from old Runescape (2001-2003, mostly).

There are also newer websites. Now, since these websites are new, they obviously have no real old content from the beginning of Runescape. So they are forced to do some research on the internet and find out information from other websites - in other words they take content from the old, original RS fan pages published long ago.

The newer websites rank higher in search engines

Since the new websites are more active and they are frequently updated, they rank higher in search engines such as Google compared to the old and no longer updated RS websites. Also, more people link to them than the old, genuine RS websites.

The copied content is never attributed to the source and the old websites are never linked

The problem is that the new websites almost never cite their sources properly. They don't tell people where they got the information from and they don't link the old, original sources of information. Some have even blatantly copied or lifted content straight out of the old Runescape players' fan pages and passed the content off as their own.

Please help our old Runescape websites become more known

Now, I ask you, is this fair? Should newer websites grab stuff wholesale from old websites and get all the web traffic?

I think not! Here is what you can do:

- Visit the old websites.

- Write something about them and/or link them in your blog, Facebook, Myspace, website, wiki, etc.

- If you are involved in the current RS websites like the wiki, fan forums, RS guides, etc. please cite and link your sources.

Here are some old websites to get you started:

http://www.geocities.ws/runescapegrudge/ - Old as dirt, this webpage is 100 percent genuine and was published way back in 2001. It shows the black hole, a punishment for banned players.

http://www.oocities.com/timmymwd/ - The original Runescape clan history

http://oocities.com/mowbuss/ - A website that looks very amateurish (its the same with most old RS websites lol!) but has tons of content, including Jagex news that has now been removed from the official news archives. Lots of pictures of RS players and it has RS classic guides.

http://ladymedusamoldfield.50megs.com - Absolutely unique content. This website was made by Ladymedusa and as such is the original source of all these pictures. It shows an in-game wedding with Paul Gower officiating. if any old players are here, they might remember reading all about this and seeing the system message about the wedding. P.S. So many players attended that it made many people's clients crash.

http://samppa.ifastnet.com/ - Incredible stuff nto found elsewhere, pics of old holidays, bunny ears drop and scythe drop, 100 percent real and not fake.

http://www.anzwers.org/free/jagex/ - Meili's Runescape website, in other words my page. Note that the original version of this was first published in 2001 (old geocities website). Also, this is basically the only authentic source of information about the knife bug and the "mmm" bug. All the others I have ever seen are all copied (without linking or citing my website as the source) from it.

Feel free to add links, I love visiting old RS websites. Personal RS websites are good, too.

Note: I am not saying that newer websites should stop getting content from the old ones. In fact,I want to encourage this because if no one links or quotes the old websites no one will be able to find them. So feel free to go to the original sources of old RS content and talk about them, quote them, copy pictures, etc. but please link to them properly.

P.S. This is for all the old RS websites that in my opinion have not gotten the recognition that they deserve. Personally, I would also greatly appreciate it if you would make two links to my website one with the words "Runescape knife bug" (http://www.anzwers.org/free/jagex/knives.html) and the other one "Runescape mmm bug" (http://www.anzwers.org/free/jagex/mmm.html). Honestly, I am a bit fed up that other websites took my stuff and never even said where they got it from.

Thank you!

• Like 1

The way I see the old websites should die out. If they are not being updated and all there content is on newer sites what is the point of the old websites? I don't mean to be mean and say that the old websites are bad or anything its just if the new websites have the old information and are being updated they are better then the old web sites.

Fisher 4 lyfe.

tinyslamHYT.png

86,674 to 99 cooking

36,414 to 99 fishing! (7/31/10)

Most of the old websites have old information mostly for archive purposes. There is more of a use for newer information since it's more useful at this moment rather than reading about things in the past even though it is quite fascinating.

j0xPu5R.png

The way I see the old websites should die out. If they are not being updated and all there content is on newer sites what is the point of the old websites? I don't mean to be mean and say that the old websites are bad or anything its just if the new websites have the old information and are being updated they are better then the old web sites.

This.

The content itself cannot be updated because it's history.

The newer websites are guilty of plagiarism, which is dishonest.

I'm surprised that Tip It posters would support massive copying and plagiarism when Tip It is one of the oldest sources of information on RS history.

Are you saying that I can just go and copy all the old guides from this website and it's fine?

Most of the old websites have old information mostly for archive purposes.

I take it you are agreeing with me? Because this is exactly what i said.

There is more of a use for newer information since it's more useful at this moment rather than reading about things in the past even though it is quite fascinating.

Idgi, what do you mean? So only new websites are needed and the old archives can die out? Then where would the new websites get their info? Nowhere, lol.

P.S. A lot of the newer websites, since they only got their info from other websites, have a lot of wrong information. :mrgreen: That's because copies of copies of copies will propagate errors. That's why I think the old, genuine sources need to be known so that anyone who needs info on RS history can go straight the the 100 percent real source and not a copy of copy of a copy.

If it's history it is a good addition to new updated content but unless people are looking for just the old history it is not necessary to have an old outdated site.

I think you're missing the point. It doesn't really matter whether or not people are looking for old history, or where, but rather the newer websites are taking credit for the old information which wasn't theirs (like how you have to cite your sources in a paper), and so it is blatant plagiarism and in several ways disrespectful to the original writers of these pieces of content.

If the newer sites were citing their sources, then it's perfectly fine, but to have someone copy your work without any credit at all just sucks.

~Dan

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

I think you're missing the point. It doesn't really matter whether or not people are looking for old history, or where, but rather the newer websites are taking credit for the old information which wasn't theirs (like how you have to cite your sources in a paper), and so it is blatant plagiarism and in several ways disrespectful to the original writers of these pieces of content.

If the newer sites were citing their sources, then it's perfectly fine, but to have someone copy your work without any credit at all just sucks.

~Dan

Thank you very much.

It's not about old vs new. It's about fairness and honesty. Like I said, I want the new websites to quote the old. It should just be done properly, you know?

I agree that it is blatant plagiarism but in the age of the internet plagiarism is a lot more common and therefore not as evil.

That's like arguing, just because everyone else steals things (or so I assume), I should do it. All in all, plagiarism is bad not good, whether or not other people do it.

~Dan

2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

I agree with you Dan plagiarism is bad and websites should should cite but it is not a huge deal that the old cites are dying unless content is lost in the process.

However, you also have to realize, if these old sites were never here in the first place, the newer sites would not have their content. This is what makes citing so important, to acknowledge that you're not the great know-it-all (which if you have ever read a scientific paper or any major publications, you can see the pages and pages of sources at the end).

~Dan

2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

Yes but the internet is not a scientific paper. The standards for morality are different between a scientific paper written by a scholar and an internet website written by Joe Schmo (no offense Joe Schmo).

Fisher 4 lyfe.

tinyslamHYT.png

86,674 to 99 cooking

36,414 to 99 fishing! (7/31/10)

Yes but the internet is not a scientific paper. The standards for morality are different between a scientific paper written by a scholar and an internet website written by Joe Schmo (no offense Joe Schmo).

That shouldn't matter, it's a credible source and it should be cited, no matter who it's written by. Along with this, both the websites and the scientific papers are both written by Humans, and should therefore be held to the same standards. However, we're kinda getting off topic, if you want to, we could continue this via PM.

On topic: As a blog writer, it definitely hurts to see these things happen, anywhere. And I definitely support this! I <3 your site btw, I've normally end up going to it whenever I see your posts.

~Dan

2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

So you are telling me that these new websites are stealing Runescape history from 2001-2003? :blink:

Yeah I get it if they steal some techniques on doing certain activities without giving credit, but other than that..

I mean for example, if a new website wanted to make a page on "RS glitches and bugs" they would not be able to do actual research (as in find the bugs themselves) because it's history. They would need a time machine to go and take screenshots of glitches. Obviously, they can't go back in time so they get stuff from other websites.

You know I've always been your biggest fan Meili, your pictures are priceless, and I regularly visit your gallery and share it. You had the sense to document your rs history and not let it fall to computer wipes / upgrades as since then I've been through 5 computers myself - as I'm sure most of us have. I always support you and your sites and will continue to do so. Everyone should visit these sites, they are history, and accurately reflect what it was like back then, also sharing stories such as the knife bug and how it was delt with.

This is not only a viewing enjoyment, but it helps me reflect on what I was doing at the time as it sparks memories.

Again Meili thankyou, and I will visit the sites even more so now.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

Furthermore I'll add a site even at the risk of huge embarrasment. I was only 16 at the time but even still it makes me laugh. My ancient TMW site is long lost, this is the only one in existance left. Still, April 2004 still may be old for some people, and it will be the most primitive RS2 you'll most likely see in large picture amounts.

http://mypage.tsn.cc/midnight/

Enjoy, don't laugh too hard, I was young :oops:

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

Old History should be preserved!

Great topic, lots of memories.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln