Can one man make a difference?

MrGwas

Do you think that one member in a clan can make a difference if he/she is present at fights or events

how/why you (use examples if you want)

discuss

eosss4.png

Currently in: Echo Of Silence

Yes, If they are present, they make a lot of difference, that extra bind, that extra hit can go a long way. For smaller clans, it make more of a difference as, for small pulls, an extra person does mean a lot. In a Matched opts 20v20, if one person DCs, then the clan with 20 normally wins, IF they are on the same skill level.

Also for semi-big clans, If seen quite a lot of draws in my time in 4 hour capped PKRIs, that extra person would of been the difference between a draw and a win.

In a matched game or a small war, it makes a hell of a difference. Just think of each person as a a 10% increase in your clan's strength. Or, in a 20 vs. 20, a 5% increase. It may not seem like much, but it does stack.

Although, in my opinion, experience counts for much more.

22031_s.gif

I think there are also some very rare instances where if a member is present it can negatively effect the clan such as Peterpan538.

Evertonthinkshesfunny

In a small clan, yes. In a large clan, no. (not including officials)

pan.png

I find it interesting that you've posted this topic. I have another friend in Dragonwood who is a fairly good sniper and I think it was DW vs SE matched opts? Not entirely sure. Either way, prior to his mistake, DW was up two people. Then he cabbage tele'd and DW lost their lead. Mind you, I'm only using DW as an example because this was the most recent I could think of.

As others mentioned, it could be charisma. That extremely rare talent of just making everyone extremely pumped and positive. Or it could be skill, like losing a talented sniper in the middle of the fight. Lots of fights, especially middle-sized ones, hinge on very small details. That's why I don't envy the work of a fallin leader or a warlord--the amount of micromanaging that they have the capacity to do is staggering.

hzvjpwS.gif

I'm surprised nobody has brought up tanking yet (or maybe i'm blind). A really good tank can completely change any war, so of course it matters if they're missing.

In smaller wars, yeah. I have to argue against how much of an impact one person's tanking could make in a large scale pvp runin however

:-k

hzvjpwS.gif

Yeah, I think so; in the clan I am in we have a rank "War Hero" for those who do exceptionally well in a war, and yeah most people will make a difference; whether it's a good or bad one.

2cwln3q.jpg

kay_kay66.png

I'm surprised nobody has brought up tanking yet (or maybe i'm blind). A really good tank can completely change any war, so of course it matters if they're missing.

In smaller wars, yeah. I have to argue against how much of an impact one person's tanking could make in a large scale pvp runin however

Psh, run ins, technicalities.

sigfinalcopy.jpg

True Ownage Co-Leader

evertonp.jpg

Psh, run ins, technicalities.

Lol :lol: but i believe that one person can always make a difference EVEN in big fights. That one bind, blast, arrow, scimitar hit or what have you. That one crucial fall in leader that seems to turn around the fight. That one member that pumps up the rest of the members. 1 man always makes a difference

eosss4.png

Just wanted to point this out, but haven't there been cases where a well liked leader of a clan retired, then on his retirement day, they had a war, which they won because they wanted to honour the leader?

Would that count, even if he wasn't on the battlefield :) ?

22031_s.gif

Just wanted to point this out, but haven't there been cases where a well liked leader of a clan retired, then on his retirement day, they had a war, which they won because they wanted to honour the leader?

Would that count, even if he wasn't on the battlefield :) ?

possibly because there 1 man affected the motivation of the clan, everyone wanted to bind like a pro, tank like a pro, and the other leaders probably wanted to show that the leaders clan is in good hands so everyone was givine 110% into that war.

eosss4.png

But then who's to argue that they wouldn't have won anyway? A person doesn't magically learn how to tank overnight. Yeah sure people can get pumped but in such a case I think they have a bigger impact on the community's morale rather than the fact that they'd actually win a war.

hzvjpwS.gif

But then who's to argue that they wouldn't have won anyway? A person doesn't magically learn how to tank overnight. Yeah sure people can get pumped but in such a case I think they have a bigger impact on the community's morale rather than the fact that they'd actually win a war.

Tbh if god loves me he'll teach me to tank overnight L. Anyway think about it this way a clan has been on a losing streak for quite a while now, morale is really low. Then one member steps up, raises morale and all of a sudden that clan is back on it's feet and is rolling. Now tell me if that one member didn't do that do you think that the clan would be on a hot streak again? Even in the real world everyone knows high morale=productivity.

eosss4.png

Wait, wait, let me get this straight.

You are saying that morale does not affect the outcome of the war?

Wrong.

You ever heard of the battle of Stalingrad in World War 2? You ever heard of the Soviets? Prime examples of morale and will to win.

Just put it this way. By the time the battle has begun, all looked lost. After Germany attacked Poland, destroying their Cavalry with their Panzers, they then moved on to France, and utterly destroyed it in a matter of weeks. Soon after, all other countries either got conquered, joined Germany, or remained neutral. All that was left in Europe were Britain and Russia. Even they were severly weakened. Britain had to rely on their trading vessels. Those were getting attacked almost constantly by U-boats. Also, The German Air Force (Luftwaffe) started a campaign against the RAF.

And on the other side, German Blitzkreig tactics caught the Russians off guard, losing many men and equipment. They also didn't have much in terms of technology to being with, making it worse.

Then the battle of Stalingrad came. By that time, the Soviets lost most of Ukraine, and other Western Territories. They had to pull soldiers out of far-off Siberia, and even designed a crash course for their men (and women, there started to be a shortage of recruits), to learn how to fight in mere weeks.

And what happened in Stalingrad? Snipers. No, not COD4 snipers, but real life Russian snipers. You see, at the time, Germans relied heavily on their Panzers to destroy everything in it's path, but in Urban Warfare, a tank is nearly useless with it's mobility. They had to rely on their soldiers, which in themselves, were trained with great efficiency. What did the Russian General say about this? Bring in the snipers. They were able to kill targets from even a kilometre away, or from some far off building, ruining their lives in a matter of seconds. But the thing that destroyed the Russian Infantry was not the men lost due to the snipers themselves, but because the soldiers were scared of fighting. Just imagine it like walking around in a small shack while Jason from Friday the 13th was around there with a chainsaw, ready to kill you. You didn't know where to attack, or even what to attack. All was hopeless, many soldiers fleed the war instead of fight. And all this time, the Soviets started to see the cowardice of the enemy, and pushed forward even more. In the end, Germany was served one of it's first major defeats.

Oh, and don't forget about when the Germans were in Moscow's Outskirts. Russia defended their Capital like there was no tomorrow. They knew defeat was imminent, but that just gave them more hunger for winning.

So, how does this relate to Runescape Clans? I know I wrote a hell load, but when morale is low, everyone would just say "oh what the hell, what's the use, we would lose anyways, might as well not bring any binds or food" (Think: Germans: the low morale and Russian Snipers as the formidable enemies). BUT, if something monumental happens (A.K.A. defending the Capital), morale will turn around, and soldiers will fight A LOT harder.

22031_s.gif