Best Graphics card to get on a budget?

Predator

Hi, sorry if there are a lot of posts like this but, I have about $250 to spend maximum on a video card. I'm hoping to get one off Tigerdirect since it is Canadian and not expensive, but there are so many cards I don't know wat to buy. My problem is im confused which ones are better, the ones that are like GeForce 6800 with 512 memory and are the best of their kind, or the high ones that are like GeForce 7900 256 ram express that are higher numbers but are express.

I prefer a GeForce but if there is a better cheaper ATI I'll get it. With my old vide card (GeForce 6600 Gt) I could run Oblivion okay, I could put the highest graphics and get like 12 fps minus all the grass, but the grass would always slow down the fps greatly even if the graphics were lowered. So if I got a $200-$250 card I should be able to run Oblivion on highest graphics with at least 30 fps. Thanks :D

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=28p

^ That's where I am looking for video cards as of now (I'm Canadian)

Well you are looking at the memory which is not a very good indicator of the best cards out there. Generally, the higher the rating (geforce 6 not as good as 7, 7 not as good as 8 etc) the better the card, because each successive model is newer then the last. Though its somewhat higher then your budget, I would go for the EVGA 8600 gts here: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=1560

If its just if its just oblivion your looking for, that will get you 70+ fps just fine and run just about any other current game you can throw at it except possibly flight simulator 10.

essentially, take it this way: the biggest indicator of the power of a card will be the first of the four numbers on the name, the higher the better, which means a newer model. Look for a 8 series nvidia card or a 2 series ATI card. Then the next most important numbers are the next 3, which generally tell you how the card falls in the company's lineup. for both ati and nvidia, the 800 or 900 series cards are high end cards, the 500 - 600 series cards are mid range cards and the 100 - 300 series cards are lower end. the memory then comes next, so Nvidia 8600 gt is better then a 8600 series card with lower memory, but its still faster then a Nvidia 7900 series card with 512 mb of memory. Next theres the brand, like xfx, evga and foxxcon for Nvidia or Saphire for ATI. these dont matter very much, as they just buy the chips and circut board designs from ATI and Nvidia and brand them themselves, but its still wise to go with a good brand as they handle your customer support. I would recommend XFX or EVGA for an Nvidia card, Or Radeon, Ati's in house brand for ATI cards.

so Nvidia 8600 gt is better then a 8600 series card with lower memory, but its still faster then a Nvidia 7900 series card with 512 mb of memory.

The 8600gt is not faster than the 7900 series. They both trade blows in the benchmarks, but the 7950gt wins most (if not all) benchmarks against it.

Other than that, your post hit dead on with the facts.

It is sometimes better to get the last generation card than the current generation because you can usually get a better preforming card for less money.

Tell us if you have an AGP or PCI-E graphics slot, or I might suggest graphics cards for the wrong slot.

EDIT: If you plan on running Vista anytime within the next 1-2years please let me know, because you might be better off with a new dx10 card than dx9.

goldenblade995.png

If you are going to get a new card and dont plan on changing your entire computer anytime soon then future proof yourself and get a dx10 card.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Save your money:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 814102606R

Put that in my machine with an AMD X2 3800 with 1Gb ram, runs Oblivion like a beaut!

I recommend getting an ATI Fan override though, I have a link at home (at work atm) if you're interested in that. Otherwise it sometimes goes loud before you want it to. This puppy runs at 92-97ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâúC when it's in intense graphics situations (like Oblivion does) but it's well within it's operating specs. Nice if you want to heat your coffee too :-)

Mastermule52.png

The refuge that you built to flee that places that you've come to fear the most ... is the place that you have come to fear the most.

Operator - http://www.heartunit.org

Council - http://z8.invisionfree.com/skillaz

Moderator - http://forum.meebo.com

Save your money:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 814102606R

Put that in my machine with an AMD X2 3800 with 1Gb ram, runs Oblivion like a beaut!

I recommend getting an ATI Fan override though, I have a link at home (at work atm) if you're interested in that. Otherwise it sometimes goes loud before you want it to. This puppy runs at 92-97ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâúC when it's in intense graphics situations (like Oblivion does) but it's well within it's operating specs. Nice if you want to heat your coffee too :-)

First of all he lives in Canada, Newegg does not ship to Canada.

The x850 pro is not future proof at all. It does not have sm3.0 even and will not run any new games coming out that require it. It's also open box, which means you have no idea what your getting, you could be getting just the graphics card in non working order for all you know.

I have that same exact card and they do not run that hot. Mine gets to 70-75c under full load (COD2 of maximum). If your using a fan override (i'm guessing ATI tool or tray tools) to quiet it down you need to disable that and cool it down. The maximum temp they are suppose to get to without damage is 100c, and 110c without melting.

goldenblade995.png

so Nvidia 8600 gt is better then a 8600 series card with lower memory, but its still faster then a Nvidia 7900 series card with 512 mb of memory.

The 8600gt is not faster than the 7900 series. They both trade blows in the benchmarks, but the 7950gt wins most (if not all) benchmarks against it.

Other than that, your post hit dead on with the facts.

It is sometimes better to get the last generation card than the current generation because you can usually get a better preforming card for less money.

Tell us if you have an AGP or PCI-E graphics slot, or I might suggest graphics cards for the wrong slot.

EDIT: If you plan on running Vista anytime within the next 1-2years please let me know, because you might be better off with a new dx10 card than dx9.

I said a 8600 because of dx10 capability. when the new dx10 games come out, the fact that the 8 series cards will be native to dx10 will allow them to beat the 7000 series. Also, a 7950 is still like 400$ US, more canadian, so its out of his budget.

The 7950 card is about $200 (USD), but thats not the point I was trying to make.

Yes the dx10 capabilities are good for future games, but dx10 only works on Vista. If he doesn't plan on upgrading to Vista anytime soon, he can get a cheaper and faster dx9 card.

For instance (prices in USD) the x1950 pro is $135 and the 8600gts is $175 and they both trade blows in performance.

Don't get me wrong, the geforce 8 series are very powerful cards, but the mid range (8600 series) are overpriced for the performance you get.

We don't even know if he has an AGP or pci-e graphics slot yet so this all might be a waist after he posts anyway :P .

goldenblade995.png

go get a geforce 8800gtx lol

untitled17gw8ps.gif

Evolution is a philosophy unsupported by the majority of scientific observations whose influence has been a detriment to society and true scientific advancement.

go get a geforce 8800gtx lol

If you read the thread before posting you would notice he budget doesn't even come close to buying one of them.

If you were indeed joking then stop it, it's just useless spam that helps nobody and your probably only trying to get your post count up.

goldenblade995.png

I have a PCI-e slot.

Anyways, no I'm most likely not getting Vista anytime soon, but how do we know that DirectX 10 will not be compatible with other operating systems in the near future?

And judging by your posts, probably the best choice for me would be the GeForce 8600 GT 256MB? Altogether with tax and shipping and handling it's $244.84. So this card is good and it is compatible with Dx10 if it is available for other OSs or if I get Vista.

I'm still looking for input though, thanks for posting :D

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3048563&CatId=1560

^That's the $200 card I was talking about.

I have a PCI slot.

Anyways, no I'm most likely not getting Vista anytime soon, but how do we know that DirectX 10 will not be compatible with other operating systems in the near future?

And judging by your posts, probably the best choice for me would be the GeForce 8600 GT 256MB? Altogether with tax and shipping and handling it's $244.84. So this card is good and it is compatible with Dx10 if it is available for other OSs or if I get Vista.

I'm still looking for input though, thanks for posting :D

DX10 will never be compatible with another operating system (unless of course the successor of Vista comes out). Windows XP can not run dx10 because of software limitations, Microsoft has no plans in the near future to support it.

You said you have a pci slot. Are you sure you don't mean a pci-e slot (also called pci express). There is a huge difference between the two.

If you do have only a pci slot, you have a major problem because there are no new graphics cards for that interface.

If infact you do have pci-e the 8600gt is a great card but I highly suggest the 8600gts because it's a lot more powerful for not too much more. $245 here

I don't know where your finding the 8600gt for 244, it's $200 from tigerdirect. here

Even if you don't get Vista for the dx10 capabilities, the geforce 8 series cards are very good in dx9 too :) .

goldenblade995.png

Sorry, I edited my post, I have a PCI-e slot, I also added the link to the card I was talking about, and Blade, I meant $244.84 with tax, with shipping and handling fees also. Without all that it's $199.

DX10 will never be compatible with another operating system (unless of course the successor of Vista comes out).

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39095

You realy think thats going to work? I read from a more reliable source because theinquirer is never reliable that he can't some of the files working correctly.

Even if it does get to be fully functional, it's probaly going to be slow, buggy, and bounce out errors while trying to play a dx10 game.

It might even be ilegal to distribute decrypted dx10 files to install it anyway.

EDIT: If you can only afford a 8600gt, then get it. You will not be disappointed, but try to get the 8600gts if you can.

goldenblade995.png

The Inquirer isn't the most reliable, but they did link to the site regarding it. I haven't tried it. In fact The Inquirer pokes fun at itself for its reputation of inaccuracy; sometimes the page header says "If The Inquirer is to be believed..." after what so many people write on forums.

It wouldn't be slow and buggy if they completed it. The whole point would be so it is a viable solution; it would defeat the point if it was not usable.

As for it being illegal to distribute the wrappers, that's not going to stop anyone.

I do not love thee, Dr. Fell,

The reason why I cannot tell;

But this I know, and know full well,

I do not love thee, Dr. Fell.

The Inquirer isn't the most reliable, but they did link to the site regarding it. I haven't tried it. In fact The Inquirer pokes fun at itself for its reputation of inaccuracy; sometimes the page header says "If The Inquirer is to be believed..." after what so many people write on forums.

It wouldn't be slow and buggy if they completed it. The whole point would be so it is a viable solution; it would defeat the point if it was not usable.

As for it being illegal to distribute the wrappers, that's not going to stop anyone.

If this does get out Microsoft will indeed have huge lawsuits. The only thing that is making a lot of Vista sales is dx10 support. Do you really think that they will let their cash cow disappear?

How do you know it will not be buggy? Microsoft has claimed XP is not designed to run dx10 (which might be true). Vista was designed from the ground up (only keeping the kernel and a few other things) and changed many things in how they operate in the operating system.

goldenblade995.png

I'm not really into the prices where you live, but an 8800GTS 320MB should be possible.

I don't agree with calling an 8600GTS futureproof just because it has DX10. When DX10 get mainstream, the 8600GTS will already be too old to take full advantage of it. With the 8800GTS you have more chance on that.

Unless you have plans to upgrade to Vista, the reviews I've seen of the 8600 are not that great - usually beaten by equivalently priced DX9 models (eg 7950 with the right set of letters), so you are paying for future proofing with performance.

The usual opinion is that it's priced a little on the high side for its performance, though that could change with offers, discounts and whatever.

Okay so just finalizing this, I want better performance and I do not plan on getting Dx10 or vista, so out of these 3 which is the best choice?

EVGA GeForce 7800 GS CO / 256MB GDDR3 / AGP 8x / DVI / VGA / TV Out / Video Card

EVGA GeForce 7900 GS KO / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card

EVGA GeForce 8600 GTS Superclocked / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card

thanks again

Decently the 8600gts. It's even an overclocked model so it will beat out the other 2 with ease. The only 7 series card that beats this out is the 7950gt and thats not on your list, and even if it was I would still recommend the 8600gts because it is more future proof.

EDIT: I just noticed, the first option (7800 gs) is not even compatible with your computer, it's AGP.

goldenblade995.png

ugh, one final question. I foudn that the site ncix.com delivers to Canada is cheaper so I found more 8600 cards.

This is the original one I'm getting at Tigerdirect:

P56-8600 :: PNY GeForce 8600 GT / 256MB DDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / DL Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card (1.65 lbs)

these ones are the ones I found at ncix.com for cheaper when I searched "8600."

Gigabyte GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out DIRECTX10 Passive Video Card

EVGA E-GEFORCE 8600GT 540MHZ 256MB 1.4GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out DIRECTX10 Video Card (256-P2-N751-TR) (23715)

XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX 620MHZ 256MB 1.6GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out DIRECTX10 Video Card (PVT84JUDD3) (23701)

I have no idea which one is the better deal, one again, thank you for helping :)

What happened to the 8600gts? I'm still sticking with that suggestion from my last post.

Although if for some reason it has to be bumped down to the 8600gt, I would get the XFX because it's a pre overclocked card, assuming they are all the same price. If the gap is more than $10 get the cheapest one.

goldenblade995.png